Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #181 of 1,697
Does the Fulla 2 have the ability to work with Android devices without being powered separately?  Mine will work with UAPP only if I have the Fulla 2 is powered separately.  Otherwise I get a USB power error.  Apologies if this has been answered previously.  Thank you.

Generally USB power through otg is dependent upon what phone you have. A lot of Samsung Devices are willing to output a good amount of power, but others like HTC don't work unless you have external power.

Not sure how much power the Fulla 2 pulls, but my Dacports are damn power hungry and I had to do some experimenting to get them to work on my phone.

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #182 of 1,697
Generally USB power through otg is dependent upon what phone you have. A lot of Samsung Devices are willing to output a good amount of power, but others like HTC don't work unless you have external power.

Not sure how much power the Fulla 2 pulls, but my Dacports are damn power hungry and I had to do some experimenting to get them to work on my phone.

Does the Fulla 2 have the ability to work with Android devices without being powered separately?  Mine will work with UAPP only if I have the Fulla 2 is powered separately.  Otherwise I get a USB power error.  Apologies if this has been answered previously.  Thank you.

Most manufacturers shy away from suggesting full Android support on their products because of the fact that there is little standardization in either hardware or software.  It's a case by case method. The handset database has yet to be built for this particular device. I can say that my Galaxy S7 Edge has worked without being powered separately on all applications that I've tried.  Poweramp, Tidal, Google Play Music, and Foobar. I'm using the OTG adapter that came with the phone and the USB cable supplied by Schiit FWIW.   This is using an AT&T Variant with a Snapdragon.

Sorry, I haven't tried UAPP.

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #183 of 1,697

Moto X Pure running 6.0.  Just wanted to make sure it's working correctly understanding how temperamental Android can be.  I understand there was a run where Android/iOS Devices were having some issues.  Incidentally, the Fulla 2 is most likely the best "Bang for the Buck" I have heard since the Audio Alchemy DAC in the Box I purchased 20+ years ago. Thank you.

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #184 of 1,697

Indeed, however I've also been warned by some because Samsung might be too liberal with their power limitations, as one person mentioned his old Samsung phone's USB fried out often continuous use with a DAC/Amp.

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #187 of 1,697
  Moto X Pure running 6.0.  Just wanted to make sure it's working correctly understanding how temperamental Android can be.  I understand there was a run where Android/iOS Devices were having some issues.  Incidentally, the Fulla 2 is most likely the best "Bang for the Buck" I have heard since the Audio Alchemy DAC in the Box I purchased 20+ years ago. Thank you.

​Is your Moto X Pure able to power the Fulla 2 directly?

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #188 of 1,697
My Fulla 2 was shipped on Monday and arrived yesterday.  It works with my HTC One M8 but the connection is VERY tricky.

I am running Android M and the Neutron music player.

Here is the method that has given me success:

Open Neutron
Confirm the menu choice "automatically connect to device"
Confirm in the Audio Hardware tab that the USB driver radio button has been selected
Plug the phone into the DAC with an OTG cable
Neutron will then crash
Restart Neutron and follow the prompts that you want to connect to a USB device
THEN power the FULLA with the power port
MUSIC!!!

I have been using the phone with a Modi 2 Uber with no issues, outputting to an Asgard.

The Fulla provides similar quality with my AT 900A cans, with a much smaller footprint.

So much so that I will be selling the Modi/Asgard to fund a Saga.

Great product, great company.

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #189 of 1,697
Dec 15, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #190 of 1,697
My Fulla 2 was shipped on Monday and arrived yesterday.  It works with my HTC One M8 but the connection is VERY tricky.

I am running Android M and the Neutron music player.

Here is the method that has given me success:

Open Neutron
Confirm the menu choice "automatically connect to device"
Confirm in the Audio Hardware tab that the USB driver radio button has been selected
Plug the phone into the DAC with an OTG cable
Neutron will then crash
Restart Neutron and follow the prompts that you want to connect to a USB device
THEN power the FULLA with the power port
MUSIC!!!

I have been using the phone with a Modi 2 Uber with no issues, outputting to an Asgard.

The Fulla provides similar quality with my AT 900A cans, with a much smaller footprint.

So much so that I will be selling the Modi/Asgard to fund a Saga.

Great product, great company.

I like neutron also but for a usb dac I only use USB audio player pro, works like a champ every time.

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #191 of 1,697
So do certain phones require you to use a specific app for USB DAC output?  I've got an HTC 10, and I seemed to be able to use my Sound Blaster E1 via my OTG cable with any app, just like I would with the headphone output.

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #192 of 1,697
  So do certain phones require you to use a specific app for USB DAC output?  I've got an HTC 10, and I seemed to be able to use my Sound Blaster E1 via my OTG cable with any app, just like I would with the headphone output.

If you want your phone to output bit perfect you need an app with its own driver like USB Audio Player Pro.  Otherwise android will up sample everything.

Dec 15, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #193 of 1,697
  If you want your phone to output bit perfect you need an app with its own driver like USB Audio Player Pro.  Otherwise android will up sample everything.

​Reading some of the developer docs, I'm not convinced it isn't bit perfect now.  Perhaps it was in the past.  It sounded fine out of my HTC 10.  Either way, the F2 is a DS DAC, so it likely doesn't matter (esp when I'm usually listening to Spotify...)

https://source.android.com/devices/audio/usb.html

Dec 15, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #194 of 1,697

​Reading some of the developer docs, I'm not convinced it isn't bit perfect now.  Perhaps it was in the past.  It sounded fine out of my HTC 10.  Either way, the F2 is a DS DAC, so it likely doesn't matter (esp when I'm usually listening to Spotify...)

https://source.android.com/devices/audio/usb.html

It's not.  Android upsamples everything to 192.  Verified with my mojo.  I'm running android 6.0.1 on my phone.  That's why USB Audio Player Pro is so popular.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #195 of 1,697
  It's not.  Android upsamples everything to 192.  Verified with my mojo.  I'm running android 6.0.1 on my phone.  That's why USB Audio Player Pro is so popular.

​That can't be right. 

If it was, that would mean that only DACs that can decode 192/24 would be able to handle the digital out of an Android phone!
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back