Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Aug 14, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #1,996 of 3,233
Well I just noticed my freya + shipped and might be here Sunday.
These tubes showed up a couple days ago and I have no clue what they are and if they are even compatible with the freya.
20200814_194953_HDR~2.jpg

I was going to order some 60s or 70's Sylvania 6sn7gtb but I'm having trouble figuring out what the dates are for each listing. They often just say vintage. actually just found these and think I will get them https://tubeworldexpress.com/products/6sn7gtb-sylvania-nos-1-pair?_pos=14&_sid=95b12e796&_ss=r
Also, I will get a set of 4 matched tungsols 6sn7gtbs just for fun.
Hopefully eventually I will get to try the CBS hytron 5692 but for now I think I'll be set with the stock jj, Sylvania, and tungsol tubes. Although any other recommendations are welcome. Thanks so much with all the help.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #1,997 of 3,233
Received my Freya+ less than 24 hours ago. So far, the line stage sounds the best which isn’t surprising straight out of the box. Buffer stage isn’t quite as open and detailed as the pure line stage yet. I’m running a FM station through the buffer stage all night and I will try that again in a few hours and see if that helps.
So far the tube stage sounds, well, poor. Muddy bass and no “halographic” soundstage. Low fi all the way for sure. Not sure if running buffer stage all night will help with breaking in tube stage. Probably not. I would hate to use up all those tube hours by running it all night but probably no choice. Any pointers on breaking in the tube stage?
I’ve been surprised on just how far I have to crank up the volume knob. 2 o’clock position with tube stage and more like 3 o’clock with other stages.
Have I mentioned how much I love that line stage? It doesn’t get much better than this folks! Definitely worth the price of admission even if the tube stage continues to disappoint.
One other thing. I have been running a Benchmark DAC1 USB directly into my power amp for the last 10 years. I was concerned that I might compromise some of it’s transparency and detail in exchange for the convenience of a remote control and switching offered by the Freya. No worries. If anything the volume control sounds even better than the one in the Benchmark. No small feat.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #1,998 of 3,233
Received my Freya+ less than 24 hours ago. So far, the line stage sounds the best which isn’t surprising straight out of the box. Buffer stage isn’t quite as open and detailed as the pure line stage yet. I’m running a FM station through the buffer stage all night and I will try that again in a few hours and see if that helps.
So far the tube stage sounds, well, poor. Muddy bass and no “halographic” soundstage. Low fi all the way for sure. Not sure if running buffer stage all night will help with breaking in tube stage. Probably not. I would hate to use up all those tube hours by running it all night but probably no choice. Any pointers on breaking in the tube stage?
I’ve been surprised on just how far I have to crank up the volume knob. 2 o’clock position with tube stage and more like 3 o’clock with other stages.
Have I mentioned how much I love that line stage? It doesn’t get much better than this folks! Definitely worth the price of admission even if the tube stage continues to disappoint.
One other thing. I have been running a Benchmark DAC1 USB directly into my power amp for the last 10 years. I was concerned that I might compromise some of it’s transparency and detail in exchange for the convenience of a remote control and switching offered by the Freya. No worries. If anything the volume control sounds even better than the one in the Benchmark. No small feat.

Assuming they're new, the tubes themselves definitely need some break / burn in.

Are you running the stock tubes? If so, did they ship with Tung Sols or JJs?

Aug 18, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #2,000 of 3,233
Stock tubes are JJs

Ah. I wish I could give you some feedback, but I've never heard 'em. It's possible that what you're hearing is the tubes, not the stage. My original Freya shipped with Tung Sols; I kept them when I bought Freya+, and I sold the new JJs with the old unit (I've since moved to RCAs).

Personally, I never considered the Tung Sols or the RCAs an upgrade in fidelity, per se; the buffer / passive stages are no doubt more analytical and transparent. But, while the tubes are certainly less "pure", I find I'm sometimes in the mood for their flavor.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #2,001 of 3,233
Freya+ review
I have always enjoyed preamplifier reviews. Other than speakers, or arguably DACs, nothing defines the sound of a system more than a preamplifier. I enjoy them because, when the reviewer is really feeling the love, nothing can compare with the verbal imagery and hyperbole when trying to express the writer’s enthusiasm. This will be one of those reviews.
I’ve been using a Benchmark DAC1 USB directly feeding my power amp for a decade. I’m a enthusiastic member of the “no preamp is the best preamp” club. When I bought my Benchmark the digital side of my system finally got me where I felt I was finally getting a taste of high end sound. My only reservation was the slight analytical and cool flavor I sometimes heard. Conventional wisdom says insert a preamp with tubes for a musical sound. Theoretically the Freya+ could give me that, maybe with some “halo graphic soundstage“, while preserving the transparency that I enjoy through using the line or buffer stage.
I waited about a month and a half for my Freya to come out of back order. I spent my wait time searching the internet for Freya reviews. I found a informative one on Youtube by New Record Day. He thought the line stage sounded very good with transparency as a strong point. He said the bass was a bit light, though, and that it lacked dynamics. He felt the buffer stage was “better in every way”. Dynamics were improved and “mids and bass were given “meat on the bone”. He referred to the tube stage as the “dessert”.
When I finally plugged in my example, just 3 days ago now, I didn’t give much thought to trying the line stage. I went to the “better in every way” buffer stage. Compared to what I was used to with the Benchmark volume control I heard bass that was a bit softer, not quite as deep and not quite as controlled. Mids were nice and quite transparent. Highs and dynamics were good. As I put on more time everything improved to the point that overall sound was very competitive to the Benchmark out sound.
Then I tried the tube stage. Not good. Muddy bass, vailed, poor definition overall. This was not totally unexpected with new tubes so I went back to try the line stage.
Oh my! Couldn’t believe my ears. I was hearing things like my wildest fantasies of what the tubes might sound like. First thing- dynamics. Even if the bass wasn’t prominent in the recording it had a propelled property to it. The forward front of bass notes seemed to spring out into the room like a vertical wall. I listened to some bass guitar, not rocking in volume. I happened to touch a finger tip to the fake leather of my couch. I could faintly feel the bass line through my fingers. Dynamics were apparent on a micro scale to. Like fingers on guitar strings, small details in the upper range of female voices, room tone. All was revealed with boldness and delicacy at the same time. Highs were almost antiseptically clean but not etched. I could go on.
I am not a professional writer. My lame attempts to describe to you are inadequate at best. Let’s just say I am pleased with the line stage in my system. Any problems I have with the tube stage is moot at this point. Maybe it will improve with burn in. Maybe I will eventually replace the JJ tubes. I will have a hard time switching from the line stage to burn the tubes in. I will probably continue to run a FM signal through the tubes tonight.
Before I close I feel I need to offer a possible explanation as to why my experience with the line stage seems to differ so radically. I’m no preamp expert. But I have read that line stages are very dependent on how they interact with the other components that they “see”. Maybe a clue can be found in the owner’s manual for the DAC. It has “a high-current output stage designed to drive long cables or low-impedance loads, such as high end power-amplifiers.” Also “The DAC1 USB features drivers that are capable of driving 300-Ohm loads without increase in distortion. They are also well suited for driving long cables or high-capacitance loads.” I am using Benchmark balanced cables DAC to Freya and Benchmark balanced to RCA cables from the balanced out to my single ended power amp.
My guess is these factors may help to explain why I am not experiencing any lack of bass or dynamics with the line stage. Bottom line- Maybe I just lucked out that my system just enjoys a synergy with the Freya+ line stage. So, mileage may certainly vary.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #2,002 of 3,233
Congrats! Hope we both get them this week. Luckily (or unluckily) I am in California so shipping should be fast.

Freya was received with this last batch so definitely can confirm they are shipping back orders.

Aug 25, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #2,003 of 3,233
Sad to say, sent mine back to Schiit this morning. I began experiencing violent pops when listening to tube stage. I was hoping that it would be a simple tube swap but Schiit thouget it was a problem with the unit itself. Last Tuesday late the tubes started to burn in. Started with noticing the bass improving dramatically then, over the course of a hour or so, improvements worked itself up the spectrum. I never experienced anything like it. Very trippy. The next day started having serious problems. Schiit sent me a tracking # a few hours ago for my replacement Freya+. Estimate arrival 8-31-20.

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #2,004 of 3,233
I just received my Noval tube savers ($17 from China with quick delivery) and I was wondering how in the heck do I remove them from my Freya? Do I have to take the cover off of my Freya?
I briefly had a Freya+ here - A great machine, but I'd changed directions for that room's system even before the Freya+ arrived :)
But, it had a set of tube risers/ socket savers and experimented with them as I gave the Freya+ a quick trial to assure all was 100% and to see how I liked it.

To remove the socket savers I used gloved hands, a little patience and a cheap automotive pick and hook set. Specifically, the one with the full hook (like a pirates hand) .

Such a hook can be rolled into the center hole of the socket saver and then its hook will grab and hold, allowing a vertical pull on the hook handle. Instead of one big pull, I worked gently around the socket saver, pulling gently and lightly rocking in one position, then resetting the hook etc. Before long the socket saver is out with zero damage to the Freya+.

Each only takes a minute or two.

Note that the pictured tool is just an example, not the exact one that I used. Mine was not special, just a promo set near the counter at auto parts store...
71MR-wbUvtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #2,005 of 3,233
Does the Freya+ provide SE-to-balanced conversion in both the buffer mode and the tube mode? The handbook for the Freya+ clearly states that, yes, SE-to-balanced conversion is provided in both modes (but not in the passive mode.)

However, when reading the write-up for the Freya+ on Schiit's website, it clearly only indicates that SE-to-balanced conversion happens in the buffer mode.

So,.....does SE-to-balanced conversion happen in the tube mode on Freya+?

Aug 26, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #2,006 of 3,233
Sad to say, sent mine back to Schiit this morning. I began experiencing violent pops when listening to tube stage. I was hoping that it would be a simple tube swap but Schiit thouget it was a problem with the unit itself. Last Tuesday late the tubes started to burn in. Started with noticing the bass improving dramatically then, over the course of a hour or so, improvements worked itself up the spectrum. I never experienced anything like it. Very trippy. The next day started having serious problems. Schiit sent me a tracking # a few hours ago for my replacement Freya+. Estimate arrival 8-31-20.

My JJs replacement tubes from Schiit has some popping sound. Sometimes violent. I stopped using it.
Too bad I kept them unopen for couple of months before I unboxed and started to use them.
Too late to complain for.

To me. JJ has more tuby sound compared to TungSols (bought from TubeDepot).

Aug 26, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #2,007 of 3,233
Does the Freya+ provide SE-to-balanced conversion in both the buffer mode and the tube mode? The handbook for the Freya+ clearly states that, yes, SE-to-balanced conversion is provided in both modes (but not in the passive mode.)

However, when reading the write-up for the Freya+ on Schiit's website, it clearly only indicates that SE-to-balanced conversion happens in the buffer mode.

So,.....does SE-to-balanced conversion happen in the tube mode on Freya+?
Yes it does

Aug 26, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #2,008 of 3,233
My JJs replacement tubes from Schiit has some popping sound. Sometimes violent. I stopped using it.
Too bad I kept them unopen for couple of months before I unboxed and started to use them.
Too late to complain for.

To me. JJ has more tuby sound compared to TungSols (bought from TubeDepot).
Based on the short time I actually had a working tube stage with half way burned in tubes, I would say I think I could happily live with the JJs.

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #2,009 of 3,233
I received my FREYA+ about a week ago - maybe one of the last units out of this latest run I'm guessing.

So, to those still awaiting delivery and as an FYI:

My freya+ came with Electro-Harmonix as STOCK (I was expecting JJs). I had also ordered a 2nd set of quads as "upgrade" or just as backups, and received TUNG-SOLs as the upgrade.
This was for me here in California, maybe the tube allotment is different regionally? I don't know.

I have a pair psvane-uk on the way but I really like the TUNG-SOL. I like the EHs but find them a bit harsh at the high end.
I'm too new to all this to dive deep into NOS tubes and hope understand the distinctions between all the 5692s and JAN...6sn7 yada' yada' yadda'... but soon!

This "POPING" sound people are reporting.... I hear an intermittent POP from mine but maybe only 5-6 times in a 10 hr day of listening and NOT ONLY from the TUBE stage.
I hope this isn't an issue later, I am really enjoying tubes, never heard tube magic before and, just, wow.

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #2,010 of 3,233
I received my FREYA+ about a week ago - maybe one of the last units out of this latest run I'm guessing.

So, to those still awaiting delivery and as an FYI:

My freya+ came with Electro-Harmonix as STOCK (I was expecting JJs). I had also ordered a 2nd set of quads as "upgrade" or just as backups, and received TUNG-SOLs as the upgrade.
This was for me here in California, maybe the tube allotment is different regionally? I don't know.

I have a pair psvane-uk on the way but I really like the TUNG-SOL. I like the EHs but find them a bit harsh at the high end.
I'm too new to all this to dive deep into NOS tubes and hope understand the distinctions between all the 5692s and JAN...6sn7 yada' yada' yadda'... but soon!

This "POPING" sound people are reporting.... I hear an intermittent POP from mine but maybe only 5-6 times in a 10 hr day of listening and NOT ONLY from the TUBE stage.
I hope this isn't an issue later, I am really enjoying tubes, never heard tube magic before and, just, wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back