Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Sep 7, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #2,026 of 3,234
I see that Upscale Audio is promoting the CBS/Hyron tube on their website for a ungodly price. Interesting that you don’t find them all that special. Maybe I should try some other tubes. Do you hear the liquidity all the time with your Freya?

I hear it ALL the time but only with the tubes on.
I put the Tung-Sols in the left side and the CBS on the right and its hit and miss 40/60 for holographics.

BUT! For good or bad, I bought a pair of PSVANE-UK from grant fidelity (these take forever to break in) they bring a lot of weight/mass/liquidity to the sound but are just the slightest bit...?...?....milkey? You can see through it but its just a bit, like cheep sunglasses, no longer squinting because of the brightness rather squinting trying to see perfectly clearly. This is where the CBS/HYTRONs come in to play, and I hope the other NOS pairs get in on it too. The CBS's w/ the PS's seem to crystalize the highs and WAM! Holography! But, and here is the weird thing .... I put the CBS's in the left side and the PS's in right side and that seems to work best.

The novelty of tubes hasn't worn off yet, so I'm having trouble even listening to the other two modes. JFET and passive I like for 80's metal (reliving my childhood) the music seems faster out of those two modes.
IMG_1972.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #2,027 of 3,234
After looking at various options online, I took a chance and went through Vintage Tube Services (following advice I rec'd on forums):
http://vintagetubeservices.com/

The website isn't the prettiest, and the buying process has to be handled over the phone, but the prices are very competitive, the supply appears to be transparent (stock list, model, year, etc. - all specific), and I had no complaints w. my order (RCA 6SN7 GTB). I'd shop there again.

I found the RCAs much better than the Tung Sols (which came w. Freya), and I'm happy with the $ spent.

That being said, when listening for "purity" (i.e. transparency / accuracy), I use the passive or JFET buffer, and I use those buffers for most of my casual listening, too. I only use the tube stage maybe 30% of the time.

Re: your "spring water" analogy earlier... tubes definitely add something to the music. Is that addition a contaminant or a flavor? I'd argue it's both. Sometimes I'm in the mood for it, but I wouldn't say it's "better" (it's undeniably distortion, or at least, whatever it is, it brings with it measurable distortion). I guess I say all that because, per your prior comments, you seem to put a lot of value in transparency and being "true to the source." The "magic" others find in tubes may not be what you consider magic, and if you're looking for the magic they describe, you might be chasing a ghost.

Personally, I enjoy having the option to listen to the tube stage, but I don't think I'd want it to be my only option. If I had to pick one option only, I wouldn't pick the tubes. Luckily, I don't have to choose just one. I usually use the same analogy for vinyl and for tubes (vs digital and passive / solid state): they're like an unfiltered beer... you get some sediment, and you get some character.
I think this is what I was shooting for with my Freya purchase. I want more than one experience with my music while preserving a certain minimum in acceptable quality. If I can achieve what while raising that minimum acceptable quality with the tube side all better. Besides it adds another fun side to the hobby.

Sep 7, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #2,028 of 3,234
I hear it ALL the time but only with the tubes on.
I put the Tung-Sols in the left side and the CBS on the right and its hit and miss 40/60 for holographics.

BUT! For good or bad, I bought a pair of PSVANE-UK from grant fidelity (these take forever to break in) they bring a lot of weight/mass/liquidity to the sound but are just the slightest bit...?...?....milkey? You can see through it but its just a bit, like cheep sunglasses, no longer squinting because of the brightness rather squinting trying to see perfectly clearly. This is where the CBS/HYTRONs come in to play, and I hope the other NOS pairs get in on it too. The CBS's w/ the PS's seem to crystalize the highs and WAM! Holography! But, and here is the weird thing .... I put the CBS's in the left side and the PS's in right side and that seems to work best.

The novelty of tubes hasn't worn off yet, so I'm having trouble even listening to the other two modes. JFET and passive I like for 80's metal (reliving my childhood) the music seems faster out of those two modes.IMG_1972.jpeg
This is fascinating and is just the kind of insights I am looking for. Gives me hope that things will just continue to get better and better. Thank you so much for posting.

Sep 7, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #2,029 of 3,234
I am having a great tube day. Just like my earlier experience with the JJ tubes, with my first unit, I am experiencing that trippy tube burn in sequence all over again. Started with the deep bass magically appearing and working its way up. Sound has snapped into focus. Delicious, luscious improved in every way. And, hold on to your seats, halographic soundstage up the wazoo. There is no mistaking this drastic change all in a 90 minute time span or so. Turned in off for a while and, lo and behold, it still sounded like that when I powered it up again! Can’t believe the drastic change. So, I am convinced that the burn in period just wasn’t finished before. May not go to bed tonight.

Sep 7, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #2,030 of 3,234
I am having a great tube day. Just like my earlier experience with the JJ tubes, with my first unit, I am experiencing that trippy tube burn in sequence all over again. Started with the deep bass magically appearing and working its way up. Sound has snapped into focus. Delicious, luscious improved in every way. And, hold on to your seats, halographic soundstage up the wazoo. There is no mistaking this drastic change all in a 90 minute time span or so. Turned in off for a while and, lo and behold, it still sounded like that when I powered it up again! Can’t believe the drastic change. So, I am convinced that the burn in period just wasn’t finished before. May not go to bed tonight.

I'm glad I'm not the only one enjoying the Schiit out of my freya. The new allotment was sent out and everyone went quiet!

What is your set up?

I fell into all of this by accident, but I put together:
MacBook Pro-> Schiit WYRD-> Schiit Modi Multibit-> Schiit Loki-> FREYA+ -> Swan Hivi M300 (Just a decent active speaker, I've not heard a KEF or Kii? or the like) but theses M300s really bring it.

I'm shocked at just how bad some studio recordings of some of my favorite music sounds. Not bad gear on my end but bad recordings. But I listen to a lot of acoustic, singer songwriter, bluegrass. Nathaniel Rateliff, for example is all over the place but I love the music. Loki to the rescue!

I'm not running any real top end speakers so my experience with the freya and opinion are... well I don't have anything to compare all this to. Last stereo I had was like, a Kenwood something and those BOSE 301(?) speakers, I know, I know. It's been years since I've listened to music at home, on purpose, so this, I think, IS a step up.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #2,031 of 3,234
I'm glad I'm not the only one enjoying the Schiit out of my freya. The new allotment was sent out and everyone went quiet!

What is your set up?

I fell into all of this by accident, but I put together:
MacBook Pro-> Schiit WYRD-> Schiit Modi Multibit-> Schiit Loki-> FREYA+ -> Swan Hivi M300 (Just a decent active speaker, I've not heard a KEF or Kii? or the like) but theses M300s really bring it.

I'm shocked at just how bad some studio recordings of some of my favorite music sounds. Not bad gear on my end but bad recordings. But I listen to a lot of acoustic, singer songwriter, bluegrass. Nathaniel Rateliff, for example is all over the place but I love the music. Loki to the rescue!

I'm not running any real top end speakers so my experience with the freya and opinion are... well I don't have anything to compare all this to. Last stereo I had was like, a Kenwood something and those BOSE 301(?) speakers, I know, I know. It's been years since I've listened to music at home, on purpose, so this, I think, IS a step up.
Looks like your system is full of Schiit. Sorry, couldn’t resist. I have been in this hobby most of my life so mostly vintage gear. I run a pair of Dahlquist DQ10s I bought new in 1977. Mirror imaged with crossover mod. Main source is iPad running Qobuz hi res mostly. Audioquest Carbon USB to Benchmark DAC1 USB, Benchmark balanced cable to Freya and Benchmark balanced to single ended cable to a modified Adcom GFA 5500 power amp. Velodyne F1500 sub. For vinyl it’s Lynn Asak moving coil cartridge on a Grace 707mk II tone arm on a Thorens TD 125mk lI turntable feeding a new Schiit Mani phono stage. Old Pioneer DVD used as a CD transport. A pair of Sonus faber Venere 3.0 speakers sitting in a corner unused. What was I thinking. Can’t hold a candle to my Dahlquists.

Sep 7, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #2,032 of 3,234
Looks like your system is full of Schiit. Sorry, couldn’t resist. I have been in this hobby most of my life so mostly vintage gear. I run a pair of Dahlquist DQ10s I bought new in 1977. Mirror imaged with crossover mod. Main source is iPad running Qobuz hi res mostly. Audioquest Carbon USB to Benchmark DAC1 USB, Benchmark balanced cable to Freya and Benchmark balanced to single ended cable to a modified Adcom GFA 5500 power amp. Velodyne F1500 sub. For vinyl it’s Lynn Asak moving coil cartridge on a Grace 707mk II tone arm on a Thorens TD 125mk lI turntable feeding a new Schiit Mani phono stage. Old Pioneer DVD used as a CD transport. A pair of Sonus faber Venere 3.0 speakers sitting in a corner unused. What was I thinking. Can’t hold a candle to my Dahlquists.

Sep 7, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #2,033 of 3,234
Yeah, I'm new enough to all this Schiit to still get a laugh. So lay the Schiit on thick I got a stack of Schiit and I'm happy!

As is evidence by my complete lack of familiarity with ANY of your gear I am now certain that I am NOVICE to all this. That being said and by way of a consult....
Did I start out ok? I mean with the Schiit gear? And what do people "in the know" think about Swan HiVi speakers? Or are they even on audiophile's radar? I like the idea of active speakers (bespoke internal amp and all) and I ask about Swan because I already want an upgrade to a pair w/ balanced inputs (Swan M3aII).

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #2,034 of 3,234
Yeah, I'm new enough to all this Schiit to still get a laugh. So lay the Schiit on thick I got a stack of Schiit and I'm happy!

As is evidence by my complete lack of familiarity with ANY of your gear I am now certain that I am NOVICE to all this. That being said and by way of a consult....
Did I start out ok? I mean with the Schiit gear? And what do people "in the know" think about Swan HiVi speakers? Or are they even on audiophile's radar? I like the idea of active speakers (bespoke internal amp and all) and I ask about Swan because I already want an upgrade to a pair w/ balanced inputs (Swan M3aII).
So what is the Schiit WYRD? Could not find it on their products page. I considered the Loki at one point, has good reviews, but decided against it. I am in the same boat with your equipment list. Most of it I am unfamiliar with. Generally I have a problem with active speakers. Speakers determine the overall sound of a system to such a extent that I build my whole system around it. So I don’t want to change speakers very often. If the manufacturer goes out of business servicing the amp could be a problem. Also, I want to choose my own amplifier. Last, if that amp in the speaker goes down the whole system goes down. Just my personal preference. They seem to be popular, though, And they come with their own advantages.
Being a audiophile can be a lonely and isolating hobby. We are pretty rare. Sometimes I really want to talk about my interest but most people’s eyes just glaze over if you try. The internet is a wonderful thing. Back in the day, we were limited to magazines like Stereophile and The Absolute Sound and their publishing was sporadic at best. Also, we have wonderful sounding products like the Freya at amazing prices. Never been a better time than these if you enjoy sound.

Sep 8, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #2,035 of 3,234
Swan Hivi M300 (Just a decent active speaker,
I had the Swan M200mkII speakers on my desktop several years ago and loved those speakers. They are kind of under the radar here in the US. I can't imagine how good they would sound using a Modi Multibit and Freya in the chain.

Sep 8, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #2,036 of 3,234
So what is the Schiit WYRD? Could not find it on their products page. I considered the Loki at one point...

They don't sell the WYRD anymore.
They, in a very Schiit way, called the WYRD a "USB DE-CRAPIFIER".... My understanding is that it re-clocks the usb signal gets all the ones and zeros in order and sends them down the line, in time and with no usb device to power it does not have that, to add signal noise.
The idea being that a usb single to a say, a printer DOES have to get to the printer but not all at the same time and as one flow where as a music signal ideally would to get to the DAC lined up ready to go. OVERSIMPLIFICATION!!!! but I think thats the gist.
Schiit was a little vague on the details and I got mine off ebay for $50, figured I'd give it try.

I understand that TONE control is kind of frowned upon these days but the LOKI allows me to tweak to the variation in recording quality not to mention that it has a bypass switch so if I don't need it its just gone. I've read some reviews saying that the LOKI does what it does in some elegant way that I don't understand, but for $175 I was sold!

I had the Swan M200mkII speakers on my desktop several years ago and loved those speakers. They are kind of under the radar here in the US. I can't imagine how good they would sound using a Modi Multibit and Freya in the chain.

It was a review on that very speaker that turned me on to swan (Z Reviews on youtube) So my M300s are the 6 1/2" version of the m200ii. I'm impressed but then I don't have much to compare them to.
The Modi Multibit just really opens up the sound. I tried a Dragonfly Cobalt for a couple weeks and there was just nothing compared to the MODI. They talk about musicality, that the modi sounds "more musical" and, yeah it just does. I have my eye on the Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC as it has balanced outs and a remote but I need to stop spending $$$.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #2,037 of 3,234
They don't sell the WYRD anymore.
They, in a very Schiit way, called the WYRD a "USB DE-CRAPIFIER".... My understanding is that it re-clocks the usb signal gets all the ones and zeros in order and sends them down the line, in time and with no usb device to power it does not have that, to add signal noise.
The idea being that a usb single to a say, a printer DOES have to get to the printer but not all at the same time and as one flow where as a music signal ideally would to get to the DAC lined up ready to go. OVERSIMPLIFICATION!!!! but I think thats the gist.
Schiit was a little vague on the details and I got mine off ebay for $50, figured I'd give it try.

I understand that TONE control is kind of frowned upon these days but the LOKI allows me to tweak to the variation in recording quality not to mention that it has a bypass switch so if I don't need it its just gone. I've read some reviews saying that the LOKI does what it does in some elegant way that I don't understand, but for $175 I was sold!

It was a review on that very speaker that turned me on to swan (Z Reviews on youtube) So my M300s are the 6 1/2" version of the m200ii. I'm impressed but then I don't have much to compare them to.
The Modi Multibit just really opens up the sound. I tried a Dragonfly Cobalt for a couple weeks and there was just nothing compared to the MODI. They talk about musicality, that the modi sounds "more musical" and, yeah it just does. I have my eye on the Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC as it has balanced outs and a remote but I need to stop spending $$$.
I was considering the LOKI back when I was running my Sonus faber speakers. They do not have any way to adjust tweeter output and I always considered them too bright. When I developed the opinion that they also lacked mid range resolution compared to the Dahlquists I just kind of gave up on them. No equalizer will help that.

Sep 8, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #2,039 of 3,234
Yesterday was a great tube day. Sorry to say today the magic is no where to be found. This lack of consistency is frustrating. I’m going with the theory that this break in thing is on going.

The Tung-Sols did that to me too. The magic would seem to come and go.
I just today got a pair of: 6SN7 GTB RCA NOS ,bridge filament. Those along with the NOS Matched Pair CBS Hytron USA 6SN7GTB Black T Plate O Get Tubes, and again I don't think either pair are suppose to be anything particularly amazing, but I'm having a lot of fun this evening. Maybe get your self some properly old, NOS tubes, these modern tubes just tease too much.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #2,040 of 3,234
OK, just received a pair of SYLVANIA JAN CHS 6SN7WGT 1958 (?Matched? $50 Ebay, I think I got lucky) ..... Now I'm starting to understand why everyone says to look at NOS.
These produce a very detailed high end - delicate. I put them in, right side, and I have some PSVANE-UKs on the left. The PS-UKs seem to lend weight to everything and/but when paired with these Sylvania's the PS-UKs get out of the way and let these 6SN7WGTs do the delicate work.
Tried a pair of 6SN7 GTB RCA NOS bridge filament, along with these and the two NOS pairs really sounded good together, a lot of good musical texture if minus just a bit of the weight (Butter?) the PS-UKs bring to the table.
Sylvania, very nice sounding, very nice. PS-UKs will be a mostly LEFT side players for now. They sound really good, just not particularly interesting when paired with new Tung-Sols or Eletro-Harmonix for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back