Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jul 1, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #781 of 3,243
My Schiit Freya is on the fritz:

My Schiit Freya has been acting funny. Some people at the last Seattle Bottlehead HQ meet said it might be a bad ground but not sure. I've sent off an email to Schiit yesterday about it and another e-mail directly to their support/tech e-mail from previous issues with other Schiit stuff and nothing yet.

It definitely has an issue. The good is that the Freya has a 5 year warranty.:) The bad is it's a holiday weekend until next Tuesday so a response from Schiit may be delayed.:triportsad:

I did have to send my Ragnarok back for repair a while back as it would not power on. My Ragnarok was one of the first ones, beta tester. Schiit service was exemplary.

Jul 1, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #782 of 3,243
I love Schiit's 5 year warranty on their higher end stuff. I hope I never have to use it but I am sure glad it is there!

Jul 4, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #784 of 3,243
I recently bought a set of the Tubemonger socket savers to use in the Freya. Unfortunately they didn't fit through the cut outs in the top of the Freya, so I returned them. Can anyone recommend another good set of socket savers that do fit the Freya?

Jul 4, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #785 of 3,243
Jul 4, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #786 of 3,243
I recently bought a set of the Tubemonger socket savers to use in the Freya. Unfortunately they didn't fit through the cut outs in the top of the Freya, so I returned them. Can anyone recommend another good set of socket savers that do fit the Freya?
I had the same problem with a set of socket savers I purchased. Not being the patient type I took my Dremel tool and shaved off just a bit. It took a while do do all four but came out great. Now they fit.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #787 of 3,243
Glad the Dremel worked, but I would advise caution doing that. It only takes one small metal shaving on the PC board to cause a fatal failure. And taking the metal enclosure off to do it voids the warranty.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #788 of 3,243
Glad the Dremel worked, but I would advise caution doing that. It only takes one small metal shaving on the PC board to cause a fatal failure. And taking the metal enclosure off to do it voids the warranty.
I was very careful and only removed the smallest amount of the outer finish. After I washed them down and dried them with compressed air - I got nowhere near any metal. To look at them you'd never know I did it.

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #790 of 3,243
I see, so you cut down the socket savers themselves! Smart.

For information, I checked with Schiit and the cutouts in the Freya are 1.3" = 33.02mm.
More like shaved off a little bit to reduce the circumference. It didn't take much at all. Oddly enough the hole in the Saga is bigger and can accommodate bigger based tubes. Can't figure why they would make them so small.

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #792 of 3,243
Deciding between the Freya and the Saga. If going with the Freya does it only make sense if my source is balanced eg Gungnir DAC.
I had a Saga and really liked it. I decided to go fully balanced so the Freya made sense. I did find, however, that the tube stage has much more gain then with the Saga and have come to really like the sound of the Freya. You won't go wrong with either but I think, even with single ended, you'll like the tube stage of the Freya better.

Jul 6, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #793 of 3,243
Got my Freya yesterday and I have humming out of my speakers, when the power amp is connected to Freya, even when Freya is turned off.

I have no humming when the amp (in integrated mode) is connected directly to Gumby.

Connection is:

PC -> Wyrd -> Gumby -> PYST XLR -> Freya -> good short RCA cable -> XTZ power amp

Everything is plugged into the same outlet.

Unfortunately, I can't connect the power amp with XLR.

Thank you guys!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #794 of 3,243
Jul 6, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #795 of 3,243
They could be swamped with warranty repairs or it could be the 4th of July weekend but I was hoping for at least a response by now. I sent a request on this early last week.. The problem just got worse today with the music completely cutting off and not coming back.

I've tried stock tubes, aftermarket tubes, nothing. I've tried it with and without the socket savers, nothing. Tried a different source and a different output and the combinations, nada. Schiit's gone crazy yall

My Schiit Freya is on the fritz:

My Schiit Freya has been acting funny. Some people at the last Seattle Bottlehead HQ meet said it might be a bad ground but not sure. I've sent off an email to Schiit yesterday about it and another e-mail directly to their support/tech e-mail from previous issues with other Schiit stuff and nothing yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back