Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jul 6, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #796 of 3,234
They could be swamped with warranty repairs or it could be the 4th of July weekend but I was hoping for at least a response by now. I sent a request on this early last week.. The problem just got worse today with the music completely cutting off and not coming back.

I've tried stock tubes, aftermarket tubes, nothing. I've tried it with and without the socket savers, nothing. Tried a different source and a different output and the combinations, nada. Schiit's gone crazy yall

That's highly unusual. Send them another. They are usually really, really fast.

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #797 of 3,234
They could be swamped with warranty repairs or it could be the 4th of July weekend but I was hoping for at least a response by now. I sent a request on this early last week.. The problem just got worse today with the music completely cutting off and not coming back.

I've tried stock tubes, aftermarket tubes, nothing. I've tried it with and without the socket savers, nothing. Tried a different source and a different output and the combinations, nada. Schiit's gone crazy yall

Have you tried calling them?

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #798 of 3,234
Have you tried calling them?
From their web site:
Phone: (323) 230-0079 (leave us a message, please . . . we are not psychic. And, if you want timely answers, we strongly encourage email. We do not accept orders via phone. Just email us, OK?)

I think I would send them another email :)

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #799 of 3,234
From their web site:
Phone: (323) 230-0079 (leave us a message, please . . . we are not psychic. And, if you want timely answers, we strongly encourage email. We do not accept orders via phone. Just email us, OK?)

Funny. No where did say that I would not send them another email and to call them instead. I asked if Soundsgoodtome had tried calling them. If not, it certainly could not hurt to try another communication avenue. Heck, maybe Schiit are responding to his emails and they just aren't getting back to him for some reason.

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #800 of 3,234
Hello gents, no need to get riled up here. I've emailed Nick directly at Schiit's support about 3-4 weeks ago and then used Schiit's site under support to send them an email last week. I think I've covered the email part down.

I have not called them yet no, but I'll send a 3rd email on Monday if I still get nothing and call them mid week if still nothing. I'm merely just updating you guys here to track and record my service experience with Schiit. This isn't my first dealing with them before and in the past I've had great service (particularly on a Mimby). Cheers :beerchug:

From their web site:

Funny. No where did say that I would not send them another email and to call them instead. I asked if Soundsgoodtome had tried calling them. If not, it certainly could not hurt to try another communication avenue. Heck, maybe Schiit are responding to his emails and they just aren't getting back to him for some reason.

Jul 8, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #801 of 3,234

What a piece of schiit.

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #802 of 3,234
It seems like you created a ground loop with Freya. You can get one of these adn enable the ground lift to break the ground. Use XLR from Freya to either:

Thanks for the advice. Fortunately, I connected my MJ2 just for fun to Freya via XLR. No noise AT ALL when volume knob is turned down, even in tube mode I have to turn the volume knob all the way up in order to hear noise. That is with Utopias, stock tubes and no music playing :wink:

Since my current power amp is just an interim solution, I will stick to passive mode until I get active nearfields with XLR input.

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #803 of 3,234
Jul 12, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #804 of 3,234
New to the Freya club. Running a MHDT Pagoda to Freya with a quad of Raytheon NOS VT- 231. Early impressions are this is a outstanding pre. Just have to get use to the funky volume control :) .

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #805 of 3,234
Welcome to the the club. Freya is an incredible preamp.

The Raytheon VT-231 is my favorite tube right now. Even more so than the Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boy" tubes. I especially like the Raytheon VT-231 with the black flat plates and the 8 copper through rods...they are incredible. The version with 4 copper rods and black flat plates are almost as good. The black "T" plate version is also nice but not as nice as those with the black flat plates.

I am interested to see if I will like the Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boy" tubes more than the Raytheon VT-231 tubes when my 2 channel setup has speakers that go much farther down into the bass range.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #806 of 3,234
New to the Freya club. Running a MHDT Pagoda to Freya with a quad of Raytheon NOS VT- 231. Early impressions are this is a outstanding pre. Just have to get use to the funky volume control :) .

It's a fun ride, enjoy. You will find a convenient start up level to leave it at. Might want to put an obvious marking on the knob if there's a chance of someone messing with it when you're not around.:beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #807 of 3,234
Thanks for the advice. Fortunately, I connected my MJ2 just for fun to Freya via XLR. No noise AT ALL when volume knob is turned down, even in tube mode I have to turn the volume knob all the way up in order to hear noise. That is with Utopias, stock tubes and no music playing :wink:

Since my current power amp is just an interim solution, I will stick to passive mode until I get active nearfields with XLR input.
I have the same results using XLR cables. Schiit also strongly hints using XLR cables.

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #808 of 3,234
Curios if anyone here is using a Freya rca out for a Sub signal? Also, wonder if anyone is using xlr to rca cable to go from Freya balanced out to amp rca in.

Thx.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #809 of 3,234
I use the SE outputs for two sub's one on left, one on right while either using the SE output to a SE amp, or balanced to a balanced input amp. It works fine either way. BUT! know if you use the tube stage, and power off the Freya while those subs are powered, you will get a massive thump. 99% of the time, I don't run tubes at all, just JFET, so power off is no matter with that and passive mode. To avoid the thump, power off all amps, prior to Freya, or switch it to passive/jfet before you power off.

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #810 of 3,234
After another month of listening I am revising my rankings and comments a bit, ranked:

CLASS A
1. Sylvania 6SN7W black base - simply awesome, all around
2. Kenrad VT-231 staggered plates - stunning bass, clear highs - simply awesome, almost tied with #1, but with slightly more visceral bass
3. RCA VT-231 grey glass - sweet, sweet midrange, slightly rolled off highs, but DAMN - nice for the right kind of music that emphasizes piano and vocals
4. Sylvania VT-231 - very, very neutral, a bit lacking in bass, good in buffer position

CLASS B
4. CBS 5692 / RCA 5692 - these tubes sound the same to me and, based on the hype, are a big disappointment. They do sound good but are flat, neutral, lacking bass, and just disappointing compared to #1 + #2.
5. GE 6SN7GT side getter - 1950s - good overall, not detail monsters, but good
6. Sylvania 6SN7GT chrome dome top getter - super yawn, boring, but better than #7 and #8

CLASS C
7. New production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB - these were a disappointment to me, fairly balanced but kind of veiled and syrupy - these suck compared to everything above
8. Stock Russian tubes that came with Freya - these suck hard compared to everything above

Still have not heard a new production tube that did not suck balls. Is it really that hard to manufacture a tube for audiophiles?

Got some Raytheon VT-231 flat plates on the way for my next evaluation.

Are there good New Production tubes? I have 4 Tung Sol NP and a pair of Kenrad Staggered plates (amongst others). I agree with above comments, but one of my Kenrads (in gain stage) is causing odd noises even with volume all the way down, as it warms up. It seems to go away, but it bothers me. Anyway, this hit or miss buying old tubes on eBay is a bit obnoxious. Are there any really good NP tubes, that would fall in (or at least near) "Class A"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back