Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Feb 3, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #1,306 of 3,234
Those Raytheon tubes are okay but not nearly as nice as the VT-231 version.

167886-raytheon_vt231_6sn7gt_brand_new_matched_pairs_.jpg

Flat black plates are the best as they sound better than the "T" plate version. Also, I like the ones with the "T" post under the bottom mica plate.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #1,307 of 3,234
"VT-231" is a military part #, there is no difference between VT-231 and the same model & year 6SN7. I do see the physical difference, in the metal rod in your VTs.

http://www.vacuumtubes.com/6sn7.html (scroll down to 6SN7GT Raytheon)

Mine are the same as the VT-231 "type 1", yours are the VT-231 "type 2".

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #1,308 of 3,234
I guess the question now becomes, is there a difference between the 2 versions of Raytheon VT-231 flat plates... I appreciate your thoughts winders, but I would like some more opinions.

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #1,309 of 3,234
"VT-231" is a military part #, there is no difference between VT-231 and the same model & year 6SN7. I do see the physical difference, in the metal rod in your VTs.

Look closely. There are MANY differences.

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #1,310 of 3,234
Look closely. There are MANY differences.

That is fine, I am not worried about the differences. They are both (the same as) Raytheon VT-231 flat plates. Are only the type like yours the "good ones"? I just want to see if anyone else has experience with them and will back up your statement on their sound quality. We all have difference tastes, I am just hoping for a couple different "reviews". I will probably keep them anyway, make a good buffer tube, if not as good as I thought.

Feb 4, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #1,312 of 3,234
May I ask where did you sourced them. I am located in Canada and looking ro find some decent tubes.

eBay, they were the only matched pair, so I grabbed them faster than I might have. But the jury is still out on if these are "good" or not...

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #1,313 of 3,234
The more I look, although there may nave been a VT-231 version of the GT, it doesn't seem to exist anywhere. And as winders said, the GT is not reviewed as anything special.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #1,314 of 3,234
OK, I found this picture, I would guess this is what I am looking for.

CTqBajNh.jpg

That one sounds good, but the best ones that I have found have what looks like a T in the middle of the bottom which wires attach to.

As I understand it, you are 100% correct, the VT number is a military designation. That said, there were tubes produced strictly for the military, 6SN7W I believe is a designation given tubes made in the early 1950's to deal with low life issues in a particular weapons system. While discovered during the war, it apparently took a few years for tube manufacturers to address the problem. Aside from that one instance I don't believe that there were major differences between US made 6SN7s. They very likely painted military designations on tubes being sold to civilians not knowing for sure who the end user would end up being. OTOT, if they were presold they likely would paint them dependant upon the buyer. The boxes are often a good tell as to whether a tube was ever in the military system or not, although anyone can shove a tube into another tubes box to increase perceived value as long as the internals and date codes match. With 6SN7 Raytheons you want the ones that have a support in the bottom of the tube that looks like a T. The problem, IME, with these tubes is longevity, which may be why they didn't use that design for long, but they do sound awesome in series with good Ken-Rads or CBS/Hytrons as the Raytheon's tone is a tad off, but in series in the Freya one of the afore mentioned tubes will correct that.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #1,315 of 3,234
That one sounds good, but the best ones that I have found have what looks like a T in the middle of the bottom which wires attach to.
I have to agree. The VT-231 Raytheons with "Ts" sound the best to my ears in my listening too of the 6SN7s. I think the "Ts" are the heating elements.

20180204_150930.jpg

I also really like the Shu Guang CV181-Zs. The Psvane CV181-TIIs are some of my favorite in the gain sockets right now. Nice and detailed and have excellent impact and bass.

20180204_152901.jpg

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #1,316 of 3,234
I have to agree. The VT-231 Raytheons with "Ts" sound the best to my ears in my listening too of the 6SN7s. I think the "Ts" are the heating elements.

I also really like the Shu Guang CV181-Zs. The Psvane CV181-TIIs are some of my favorite in the gain sockets right now. Nice and detailed and have excellent impact and bass.

That's the tube. I am less impressed with the Treasures. Perhaps I should revisit them. They are okay with Ken Rads or CBS tubes because like the Raytheon's their tone is just not right. Strings or horns through them are just less than perfect, toss in some good Ken Rads or CBS tubes and you have the whole package, IMO.

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #1,317 of 3,234
That's the tube. I am less impressed with the Treasures. Perhaps I should revisit them. They are okay with Ken Rads or CBS tubes because like the Raytheon's their tone is just not right. Strings or horns through them are just less than perfect, toss in some good Ken Rads or CBS tubes and you have the whole package, IMO.
At first the treasures sounded terrible to me. After I let them burn in for about 50 hours they were much more enjoyable. The crusty crunciness went away and they were much more refined.

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #1,318 of 3,234
At first the treasures sounded terrible to me. After I let them burn in for about 50 hours they were much more enjoyable. The crusty crunciness went away and they were much more refined.

I haven't really done a lot of serious listening lately to be honest. I have the Yggdrasil, and now that I have a cable between it and the Freya that isn't bright, I may start listening critically, but unless something's wrong, I end up just listening! I have 2 pairs of each version of Treasures, though the factory boxed T2 set is now on loan, I have another set where they bought a bunch and the factory sends a card with every tube, so they match sets up but since they are not in the single box, you can get them for less. That'll have to wait though as I am receiving a new set of cables tomorrow to test out. Once That's sorted out I'll get back to the Treasures. Honestly though, I don't think that they can compete with the Raytheons.

Feb 4, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #1,319 of 3,234
I haven't really done a lot of serious listening lately to be honest. I have the Yggdrasil, and now that I have a cable between it and the Freya that isn't bright, I may start listening critically, but unless something's wrong, I end up just listening! I have 2 pairs of each version of Treasures, though the factory boxed T2 set is now on loan, I have another set where they bought a bunch and the factory sends a card with every tube, so they match sets up but since they are not in the single box, you can get them for less. That'll have to wait though as I am receiving a new set of cables tomorrow to test out. Once That's sorted out I'll get back to the Treasures. Honestly though, I don't think that they can compete with the Raytheons.
IMO tube choice depends on what type of music / audio you are listening to. I like the Rayteons for Jazz, vocals, ect. I use the treasures for EDM, detailed classical, ECT. I like both tubes a lot just favoring the treasure TIIs right now.

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #1,320 of 3,234
IMO tube choice depends on what type of music / audio you are listening to. I like the Rayteons for Jazz, vocals, ect. I use the treasures for EDM, detailed classical, ECT. I like both tubes a lot just favoring the treasure TIIs right now.
For Jazz you NEED some. Ken Rads or CBS tubes in there for the horns and strings. I listen more to big band, the standards that were standards before I was born. CBS tubes can be had for around 50 or so a pair, so called NOS for that or a bit more, try a set and get back to us. They help EITHER Treasures or Raytheons. Clapton Unplugged sounds like you are there in my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back