Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Feb 5, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #1,321 of 3,219
This just noted, on the Shiit Audio website, PRODUCTS : PREAMPS & CONTROLS : Freya: Tubes: Octal LISST (Solid State)

and within the "News" section of the site...("Octal LISST, New Tube Options | 02/5/18")

"Octal LISST, New Tube Options
Solid-State Tubes Now Available for Saga and Freya, New-Production Tung-Sol Optional

February 5, 2018, Valencia, CA. Responding to customer needs, Schiit Audio announced the availability of its LISST “solid state tube” design in octal form, to fit the Saga and Freya preamps directly. In addition, Schiit has added the option to choose new-production Tung-Sol brand 6SN7 tubes, instead of the NOS 6N8S.

“Octal LISST allows our customers to convert Saga and Freya into all solid-state preamplifiers,” said Jason Stoddard, Schiit’s Co-Founder. “So if you don’t want a tube preamp, you don’t need to settle for one—just choose LISST.” "

... :) ...

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #1,322 of 3,219
This just noted, on the Shiit Audio website, PRODUCTS : PREAMPS & CONTROLS : Freya: Tubes: Octal LISST (Solid State)

and within the "News" section of the site...("Octal LISST, New Tube Options | 02/5/18")

Solid-State Tubes Now Available for Saga and Freya, New-Production Tung-Sol Optional

February 5, 2018, Valencia, CA. Responding to customer needs, Schiit Audio announced the availability of its LISST “solid state tube” design in octal form, to fit the Saga and Freya preamps directly. In addition, Schiit has added the option to choose new-production Tung-Sol brand 6SN7 tubes, instead of the NOS 6N8S.

“Octal LISST allows our customers to convert Saga and Freya into all solid-state preamplifiers,” said Jason Stoddard, Schiit’s Co-Founder. “So if you don’t want a tube preamp, you don’t need to settle for one—just choose LISST.” "

Thanks for the heads-up Synergist969. Just visited the site. Yes, indeed. LISST for Freya now available. $200 for a quad.

Late arriving thought...I ASSume a quad of LISST "tubes" will give the same db of gain(13) from Freya as actual glass vacuum tubes? Thanks in advance for input on that question.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #1,323 of 3,219
No problem Ghosthouse:

As I had a bit of a challenge finding the location of the Octal LISST's on the site, for anyone who is unclear as to where to look,

"Tom E" very promptly responded to my e-mail inquiry with:

" Tom E (Schiit Audio)

Feb 5, 10:08 PST

Hello,

Please visit http://www.schiit.com/products/lisst-tubes and on the drop-down menu under "Type" select Octal. If you want quad Octal LISST tubes, the cost is $198."

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #1,325 of 3,219
OK, well, I think I figured it out. I just bought a pair of these, hope I did good... ($53 shipped)

kfUDGn7h.jpg
If they're quiet, then you did good and got them for an excellent price

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #1,328 of 3,219

Doesn't LISST kind of defeat the point in having a tube preamp in the 1st place?

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #1,330 of 3,219
Some may have purchased it for the passive and unity gain functions, to each their own. I might think about it for passive/background listening, or if I want to use my system for TV audio.

Yeah, fair point. I tend to think of the Freya as primarily a tube preamp.

But now you are up to $900 for a SS preamp....

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #1,331 of 3,219
Since the Freya has no HT pass-through, how are others getting around that?

I purchased a rather nice Dodocus RCA switch box to switch between the Freya and my Emotiva Prepro (into the amp running my main speakers). It works great, I can switch between preamps w/o powering every thing down. The Dodocus uses a high quality Elma rotary switch, I can tell no degradation in sound (I am sure there is on some level).

Since the Dodocus has 4 inputs, I hooked up a SYS to one of them. I use it for background listening instead of the Freya, so as to not put wear on the tubes.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #1,334 of 3,219
If you would not mind, could you comment on your perception of the general differences between a 6DJ8 preamp and 6SN7 preamp (assuming a similar design and build quality)..
TIA..

It's not quite that easy. There are far more manufacturers of 6DJ8 tubes for one thing. I can say that while I preferred Bugle Boys to all other 6DJ8's, running 1940's Raytheons in series with Ken Rads or CBS/Hytrons give you a soundstage and timbre far superior to the Bugle Boys. Honestly though, it never occurred to me to mix tubes before, so there may well be a 6DJ8 combination which sounds as good as the 6SN7 combo.

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #1,335 of 3,219
Are LISST's ment to be used as a quad or is it (i presume it is) ok to use them also as a buffer/line tubes with 6SN7's.

Now when LISST's are out i might give Freya another chance. First one i had had too loud noise floor with tubes no matter what tubes i tried.
But if using one pair of LISST's and one pair tubes helps, i guess it's worth a shot (or to be lucky and get silent one in first place).

Good move from Schiit to give even more options how to use Freya :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back