Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jan 9, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #1,186 of 3,234
I am going to try Herbies tube dampers as its only 100 bucks. I have nothing to lose!
I'm using Herbies dampers--they don't do anything for a noisy tube. They can help tame a non-severe case of microphonics however.

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #1,188 of 3,234
Well we shall see. Maybe I have a little too much vibration going on with the socket savers
They may help with vibration. I consider tube noise as sputtering, popping, and hissing, which differs from tube microphony

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #1,189 of 3,234
Well , this is what the seller said so I’m confused :
If the problem is discontinuous, this is vibration and noise of some transformers in the power.

Not my tubes. Transformers generally take decades to delaminate and make noise. Unless Schiit got a bad batch of transformers I am not buying transformers, especially since they checked it out.

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #1,191 of 3,234
"No way that I'd pay $30 for a tube damper. I have used o-rings for years. If you want to experiment, you can fabricate couple of the halo style very easily. I can't see any advantage there; it doesn't really add mass, so it doesn't seem like it would fundamentally change the resonant frequencies or damping vs an o-ring or two. I would like to think that if any sort of tube damper, whether weighted or not, really made a huge improvement in sound, it would be standard equipment inside of high end tube amps such as those by ARC. Most companies that use anything, use an o-ring or a type of wider band that is basically a heavy, silicone grommet. It would become rather economical to add a more advanced type if it made a significant difference, due to the scale of production. The next time that I get around to it, I'll probably look into some larger bands rather than using a couple of o-rings myself. Not sure that there would be a sonic difference but it will only be a few dollar investment for a set."

I tend to agree with the above.

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #1,192 of 3,234
Put 4 Shuguang Treasure Cv181-z tubes in. Waiting for them and my Yggdrasil to break in.

thumbnail

Tube Monger has some that fit but is charging $40 for them. You can buy these on ebay cheap:

thumbnail

Sand the outer diameter down a little and they work (cheap belt sander with 50 grit paper gets the job done in no time :) ):

upload_2018-1-9_13-47-48.png

Jan 9, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #1,198 of 3,234
CV181 tubes draw 900milliamps heater current. 6SN7 draws 600. Has anyone checked with Schiit if this is within specifications for Freya?

The Shuguang Treasure Cv181-z tubes are not really CV-181 tubes. They are 6SN7 tubes as far as specs go...

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #1,200 of 3,234
Man I have had such tough luck with tubes : stock tubes were terrible , Tung-sol new production went noisy after 60 days , now Shuangang Treasure tubes are noisy ( these sound very good and had no noise for about 20-30 days , now all of them are noisy at some point )
Oh well .

I had heard that at first Shuguang Treasures had issues, but supposedly they had addressed them. That was supposedly their first run, but I suspect that yours were purchased more recently, that sucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back