Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jan 7, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #1,173 of 3,234
Also, the buzzing could be interference from a Wifi router, your cellphone, or another piece of electronics. Have you tried disconnecting all input cables to Freya and seeing if the noise gets better?

Jan 7, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #1,176 of 3,234
Then that's tube microphonics/ a noisy tube.
Man I have had such tough luck with tubes : stock tubes were terrible , Tung-sol new production went noisy after 60 days , now Shuangang Treasure tubes are noisy ( these sound very good and had no noise for about 20-30 days , now all of them are noisy at some point )
Oh well .

Jan 7, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #1,177 of 3,234
That's my one issue with Freya, is the gain makes tube noise far easier to hear. You would need very inefficient speakers to lower the noise. I hope with a Freya 2 they offer maybe two gain levels in tube mode: high gain, where it's currently at, and low gain, maybe just above 0dB gain, so that Freya could be used with more speakers without issue.

Jan 7, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #1,178 of 3,234
That's my one issue with Freya, is the gain makes tube noise far easier to hear. You would need very inefficient speakers to lower the noise. I hope with a Freya 2 they offer maybe two gain levels in tube mode: high gain, where it's currently at, and low gain, maybe just above 0dB gain, so that Freya could be used with more speakers without issue.
Hell im using Kef ls50’s in one setup . They are pretty inefficient .

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #1,180 of 3,234
Are all your tubes noisy? Do they all buzz?

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #1,181 of 3,234
Are all your tubes noisy? Do they all buzz?[/
Hard to say . At least two of the four buzz off and on at random times . I know I have switched up these tubes , left to right and gain to output , and I still get this intermittent buzzing noise I can hear through the speakers . It usually doesn’t last long , maybe 3 seconds tops .
I can hear it at the listening position on quiet music 6 feet away .

Jan 9, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #1,182 of 3,234

Hi, I am not a Freya owner, but thought maybe helpful to mention a problem that I have had with various tube preamps.
I do not know the source, but with a few different tube preamps and dacs I sometimes encounter an low-level, intermittent high-pitched squeak, something like +6db at 7.5khz.
I found that this could be alleviated by using shielded balanced XLR interconnects (non-shielded XLR still lets the squeak through).

I guess I have been lucky with tubes, as I have tried over 50 different types (small sized tubes - NOS, used and new) in the past 10 years and never encountered discernible hissing or buzzing..

Jan 9, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #1,183 of 3,234
Hi, I am not a Freya owner, but thought maybe helpful to mention a problem that I have had with various tube preamps.
I do not know the source, but with a few different tube preamps and dacs I sometimes encounter an low-level, intermittent high-pitched squeak, something like +6db at 7.5khz.
I found that this could be alleviated by using shielded balanced XLR interconnects (non-shielded XLR still lets the squeak through).

I guess I have been lucky with tubes, as I have tried over 50 different types (small sized tubes - NOS, used and new) in the past 10 years and never encountered discernible hissing or buzzing..
I use Mogami Gold xlr's .Not sure if they are shielded

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #1,184 of 3,234
I sue Mogami Gold xlr's .Not sure if they are shielded
I use these too. I believe they're copper shielded. FWIW, I've got about 20 NOS 6sn7s, with about half of them unsuitable for a pre-amp (i.e. either noisy,Overly microphonic, or both).

Jan 9, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #1,185 of 3,234
I use these too. I believe they're copper shielded. FWIW, I've got about 20 NOS 6sn7s, with about half of them unsuitable for a pre-amp (i.e. either noisy,Overly microphonic, or both).
Thanks for the reply. I guess tubes can really be quite fickle.

I tried some silicone rings and they did nothing.

I am going to try Herbies tube dampers as its only 100 bucks. I have nothing to lose!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back