Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jan 6, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #1,156 of 3,233
Dear Ghosthouse:

Thank you for such a clearly expressed, detailed and complete response to my query! I appreciate your neutral/objective analysis, as well as providing "audio system" context with regard to the application of said IC's and speaker cables. Indeed, "The Cable Company" is from whom I have ordered my OHNO lll's, as well as received the quote regarding the Cardas Parsec speaker cables...
It seems to be increasingly rare that I encounter such clear/unambiguous verbal content on internet forums!...

Thank you!

Peace/Namaste,
TAK

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #1,157 of 3,233
Dear Ghosthouse:

Thank you for such a clearly expressed, detailed and complete response to my query! I appreciate your neutral/objective analysis, as well as providing "audio system" context with regard to the application of said IC's and speaker cables. Indeed, "The Cable Company" is from whom I have ordered my OHNO lll's, as well as received the quote regarding the Cardas Parsec speaker cables...
It seems to be increasingly rare that I encounter such clear/unambiguous verbal content on internet forums!...

Thank you!

Peace/Namaste,
TAK

You may want to look at this;

https://www.musicdirect.com/cables/audioquest-king-cobra-interconnects-pr

2 Meter pair for 199, you can cut it in half and get 2 1 meter pairs for 100 each. Just sayin. I got their last demo pair, 2M for 155... 77.50 each + connectors if I cut them down. They have the diamondbacks for 67 a pair I think. They used to call them something different when made in US, same cable, but I think they used to sell for 400, that could be the King Cobras, but I think it was the diamondbacks, any way it's a pretty good deal for some nice cables. Just found and bought these too, they are from MusicDirect,but they are not selling them on line, or at least I couldn't find them on their site, but they are selling through Amazon;

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-C...udioQuest+Columbia+audio+cable+-+XLR+plugs+1m

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #1,158 of 3,233
Hi Namaste -
I don't want to divert this Freya-dedicated thread to a cable discussion and incur the ire of the moderators so I will try to be brief. I have found Freya sensitive (a good thing) to interconnect changes...more so than with the tubes I have tried. If you are in the US, get in touch with The Cable Company. They have a lending library (interconnects, speaker cable, digital cable) and for 10% of the cost of the cables you can audition several in your home for a few days. If you don't buy, that money will be available to you as a store credit applicable on future purchases. If you do buy, the deposit applies to the purchase price of your cable. One difficulty might be the 15 foot length you mention. I don't know if they have that length in their library.

Here is a link to their website: https://www.thecableco.com
Here is a phone number: 1-800-328-9973

As it turns out I tried the Audience Ohno III speaker cable at the same time that I auditioned the Cardas Parsec wire. The Ohno wire did not have the fullness of "body" I was looking for (mid-range a little recessed?) I didn't like it much. The Parsec cable provided a fuller sound with good detail yet not harsh (something I'd been fighting in my system). I was impressed with the image stability and "control" the Parsec's seemed to provide. Someone might argue the Ohno III is more linear (neutral?) than the Parsec. I preferred music with the Parsec. I wish the Ohno sounded better to me as it was less expensive.

Between Gungnir MB DAC and Freya I'm using a Cardas Golden Reference XLR cable. Depending on the amp (e.g., Hegel H200), this cable can be a bit TOO warm so I'll change it out for an Audioquest Columbia.

Between Freya and amps...
With a First Watt F7 amp, there is only a single ended input to connect the pre-amp so I use a previously purchased Cardas Parsec IC between Freya and First Watt.
With another amp (Merrill Audio Taranis) connection to the pre-amp is via XLR. With this amp I am using a Harmonic Technology Pro Silway II and Golden Reference between DAC and Freya. I am experimenting with the Parsec RCA between DAC and Freya vs the Golden Reference XLR between these pieces.

I enjoy the sound of music from the system with the Cardas wire in place. Speakers are Totem Forests or Silverline Prelude Pluse speakers (change them out periodically). I also have a run of Cardas 300B Microtwin between Heed Quasar phono preamp and Freya.

Previously I'd used Morrow Audio SP4 speaker wire and various Morrow Audio ICs (MA3 & MA4). These might be good on systems that are dark or "slow sounding". I've also used Clearday Double Shotgun speaker cable. You might consider trying these. Paul Laudati is a good guy to do business with and has a (30 day?) return policy. I greatly preferred this wire over the Morrow Audio cable on the Totem Forests. The Cleardays are what the Parsec cable replaced, mainly to deal with excessive brightness from the Silverline Prelude Pluses.

This is my experience. I'm sure others will have different view about sound with the Cardas wire.
Hope it is useful.

BTW Ghosthouse, you're an asshole, I thought I was about done spending money, now I am buying cables again. Seriously though, my system using the Yggdrasil is bright, cables would explain it, thanks!

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #1,159 of 3,233
When you put the case back on. let me know if you get some tube vibration. I have had some in all 3 quad sets of tubes I have tried , including the Treasures.

Hi Hornytoad,

I was just wondering if you know how to check for microphonic tubes? If you have the volume at a reasonable listening level tapping on the top of your tubes with your finger should result in little to know sound at your speakers. If you do hear a thud your tube is microphonic.

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #1,160 of 3,233
Hi Hornytoad,

I was just wondering if you know how to check for microphonic tubes? If you have the volume at a reasonable listening level tapping on the top of your tubes with your finger should result in little to know sound at your speakers. If you do hear a thud your tube is microphonic.
I don’t hear a thud but I do hear a clank if you know what I mean

Jan 7, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #1,162 of 3,233
Well, if you are hearing that it sounds like you have microphonic tubes. With microphonic tubes you can also hear a noise out of your speakers if you tap on the preamp. It should be pretty much quiet if the tubes are good.
Also , I hear a buzzing noise .. bzzzzzzzz, that comes and goes out of both channels . Sometimes it’s loud enough to hear from the listening position about 7 feet away on quiet piano or ambient music .This is in tube mode only

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #1,163 of 3,233
Also , I hear a buzzing noise .. bzzzzzzzz, that comes and goes out of both channels . Sometimes it’s loud enough to hear from the listening position about 7 feet away on quiet piano or ambient music .This is in tube mode only

It sounds like you have some weird things going on. The buzzing I have never heard from tubes, but my experience with tubes is limited. I hope That's a tube issue. Did you buy it new? If so once you have some known good tubes, I think a trip back to the factory may be in order.

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #1,164 of 3,233
It sounds like you have some weird things going on. The buzzing I have never heard from tubes, but my experience with tubes is limited. I hope That's a tube issue. Did you buy it new? If so once you have some known good tubes, I think a trip back to the factory may be in order.
Schiit looked at it and could not replicate the buzzing

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #1,165 of 3,233
Tapping on the preamp and both channels have a clanking and rattle type sound

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #1,168 of 3,233
I'm glad sam6550a has more experience with bad tubes. Mine usually seem to work for years with out issue. I do have a tube tester though, so I know they are good, though microphonics have to be tested for in circuit as far as I know. I could send you some that work, though I am a bit lean right now, I sent a batch to an audio friend in CA because I had some he had never heard.

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #1,169 of 3,233
I'm glad sam6550a has more experience with bad tubes. Mine usually seem to work for years with out issue. I do have a tube tester though, so I know they are good, though microphonics have to be tested for in circuit as far as I know. I could send you some that work, though I am a bit lean right now, I sent a batch to an audio friend in CA because I had some he had never heard.
Thanks for the offer , I am going to ask a local dealer to test .

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back