Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Feb 6, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #2,672 of 3,234
Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #2,673 of 3,234
@Orange5o Can vouch for these ones. I cheaped out at first with some chinese adapters. They took forever to get here, don't stay in the sockets well and require a lot of force to get the tubes into them.

These ones arrived much quicker and are much better quality.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #2,674 of 3,234
Just got the Freya N myself- mostly vinyl via Mani 2 n wired to a Vidar 2 for speakers. I liked the clarity of the stock tubes but got curious. Got some 1970s RCA 6cg7 and those added a lot of that reverb effect. Got in two 6922 and two 6hnps to see that impact. I think i have a decent combo. I feel like for me tubes do the best at sound effects n electric guitars… They really jazz those up a ton. I am not clear on if these will actually sound better as they get used more but im already pretty satisfied so that would be a good bonus. Im in a mixed bag territory about socket savers, i don’t want ones that are completely a different color and wouldn’t the warranty on the Freya cover if the sockets weren’t working anymore?

Feb 10, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #2,676 of 3,234
I'm a big fan of the sylvania 6sn7gta tubes. At least a few years ago, they were a great bang for the buck, though I haven't looked lately. Just a really sweet sounding tube with good bass. They have a black base and a chrome top, with a stop sign pattern on top. I forget the years I had but I want to say maybe from the 50s or 60s?
I too am a big fan of the sylvania 6sn7gta in my Freya +. Sounds awesome

Feb 10, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #2,677 of 3,234
I could really use some help from Freya owners. I got my new Freya N a few weeks ago, and immediately heard some problems after hooking it up. I get speaker pops when adjusting the volume pot at the 12 o'clock position. Rotating both up and down the dial, in all three modes, at exactly the 12 o'clock position. Not super loud, but loud enough to hear from across the room. Speakers also pop when changing between passive, buffer, and tube modes. The popping gets louder as the Freya gets hotter. I made sure tubes were properly seated, switched cables, etc. I let it run for 4 days to see if it would resolve itself. It didn't.
Schiit had me send it in for repair. I got it back last week and the problem is still there. Sent it back again and asked for a replacement. Got the replacement yesterday and I'm having the same issues, although the pops are a little quieter in this one. If this was only happening in tube mode, I could chalk it up to bad/cheap tubes, but it's happening in all modes.
Can you guys think of anything else to try as far as troubleshooting?
CCA>modius>Freya N>Aegir>Klipsch KG4.5

Thanks!!

Feb 10, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #2,678 of 3,234
I could really use some help from Freya owners. I got my new Freya N a few weeks ago, and immediately heard some problems after hooking it up. I get speaker pops when adjusting the volume pot at the 12 o'clock position. Rotating both up and down the dial, in all three modes, at exactly the 12 o'clock position. Not super loud, but loud enough to hear from across the room. Speakers also pop when changing between passive, buffer, and tube modes. The popping gets louder as the Freya gets hotter. I made sure tubes were properly seated, switched cables, etc. I let it run for 4 days to see if it would resolve itself. It didn't.
Schiit had me send it in for repair. I got it back last week and the problem is still there. Sent it back again and asked for a replacement. Got the replacement yesterday and I'm having the same issues, although the pops are a little quieter in this one. If this was only happening in tube mode, I could chalk it up to bad/cheap tubes, but it's happening in all modes.
Can you guys think of anything else to try as far as troubleshooting?
CCA>modius>Freya N>Aegir>Klipsch KG4.5

Thanks!!
using passive mode on the Freya N should not have any issues at the 12 o'clock position. if you power everything down, disconnect all inputs from Freya N, and power back up Freya N and Aegir, selecting passive gain mode, do the pops still happen with mid-position volume adjustments? if no, then the modius or your interconnects may have a problem. if yes, then perhaps the Aegir has an input bias current offset problem.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #2,679 of 3,234
using passive mode on the Freya N should not have any issues at the 12 o'clock position. if you power everything down, disconnect all inputs from Freya N, and power back up Freya N and Aegir, selecting passive gain mode, do the pops still happen with mid-position volume adjustments? if no, then the modius or your interconnects may have a problem. if yes, then perhaps the Aegir has an input bias current offset problem.
Thanks for the reply. I followed these steps and it still pops at noon and when changing modes, tho much quieter pops. I can't help but think it's something wrong on my end. What are the odds of getting 2 of the same preamps with the same problem? Also, when I put Saga back in the chain, everything works perfectly.

Feb 11, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #2,680 of 3,234
possible that a batch of the Freya N would have the same problem (boards are robotically assembled, but humans involved in loading the correct part reels into the pick-and-place machines).

if you are close by to Schiit, you might want to send in both Aegir and the Freya N. perhaps they were testing Freya N using the XLR out and the noon-ish pop is more audible from the SE (RCA) outputs.

a small tick or pop when changing gain modes may be normal but the sound at noon-ish volume changes shouldn't happen, especially in Passive mode with no inputs connected. My Freya S has a small audible sound thru the amp when switching to/from Nexus 1x and 4x modes when it unmutes, but nothing with volume changes,

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #2,681 of 3,234
I get pops on the Freya + when I change from passive, buffer to tube. I just think that's the way it is, annoying yes. My unit also just popped when I just changed the modes after the tube mode kicked in.

Feb 12, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #2,682 of 3,234
I get pops on the Freya + when I change from passive, buffer to tube. I just think that's the way it is, annoying yes. My unit also just popped when I just changed the modes after the tube mode kicked in.
Freya+ here…listening now…when using the remote I get no pops from my speakers when changing thru all the modes.It’s silent except for some slight mechanical clicking in the preamp, not my speakers.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #2,683 of 3,234
Mine pops in all modes too. Even mute which is ironic. It is what it is. I kinda knew in advance and the trade off is fine. If you’re not going to eventually do monoblock or need the gain/color then even a Sys will do. Tbh i still use my Sys between the source and the freya to mitigate some pops or volume shifts since i play primarily vinyls or incorporate a loki mini between 2 sources.

Feb 12, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #2,685 of 3,234
possible that a batch of the Freya N would have the same problem (boards are robotically assembled, but humans involved in loading the correct part reels into the pick-and-place machines).

if you are close by to Schiit, you might want to send in both Aegir and the Freya N. perhaps they were testing Freya N using the XLR out and the noon-ish pop is more audible from the SE (RCA) outputs.

a small tick or pop when changing gain modes may be normal but the sound at noon-ish volume changes shouldn't happen, especially in Passive mode with no inputs connected. My Freya S has a small audible sound thru the amp when switching to/from Nexus 1x and 4x modes when it unmutes, but nothing with volume changes,
I don't think it's the Aegir. I tried multiple combinations of preamps into Aegir and they all worked flawlessly. Also tried different amps with the Freya N, and the popping was still present. Here's a video clip I recorded of the popping...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back