Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Feb 12, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #2,686 of 3,255
I don't think it's the Aegir. I tried multiple combinations of preamps into Aegir and they all worked flawlessly. Also tried different amps with the Freya N, and the popping was still present. Here's a video clip I recorded of the popping...

That definitely is not the way it should be. Send it back to schiit. I don't get that noise. Mine is just static pops which I think is just the design. I don't even use a Schiit amp.

Feb 12, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #2,687 of 3,255
That definitely is not the way it should be. Send it back to schiit. I don't get that noise. Mine is just static pops which I think is just the design. I don't even use a Schiit amp.
Thanks. Already boxed up and ready to go back. I'm bummed because I really like the sound of the Freya N over my Saga, but I'm not willing to give this a 3rd try.

Feb 12, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #2,689 of 3,255
I agree. Send it back. Seems like there is a flaw in the volume attenuator. Right? You are getting a volume pop at the same spot on the rotation In all modes.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #2,691 of 3,255
I think so. When I sent the first one back to Schiit, they replaced the transformer which I thought was odd. It didn't fix the problem.
you might try emailing schiit again, see if they can send you a call tag (prepaid shipping label), attach a note to the unit "please specifically look at the volume attenuator circuits (possibly incorrect value or missing resistors), as the pops still happen at about 50% volume in passive mode.".

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #2,692 of 3,255
Thanks. Already boxed up and ready to go back. I'm bummed because I really like the sound of the Freya N over my Saga, but I'm not willing to give this a 3rd try.
Thats probably why yours is quiet. When I use balanced it is dead quite also but due to my amp, I use an RCA to xlr convertor which gives me 8 more db of gain needed for my amp.

Feb 12, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #2,693 of 3,255
you might try emailing schiit again, attach a note to the unit "please specifically look at the volume attenuator circuits, as the pops still happen in passive mode".
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to think it over today, but I'm pretty sure I'm done with the Freya N. I may try Freya S/+ in the future if I get a second Aegir. At this point I may just sell these seperates, get a Ragnarok or Rogue Sphinx, and call it a day.

Feb 12, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #2,694 of 3,255
The Freya line will all have these noises man. It’s the volume and other relays. They do a fritzy click. Sometimes turning the dial too fast especially at 1oclock on the dial it so be audible in speaker. I went to Schiit store here in Cali n their Freya + they have in demo behaves exactly the same way. Clicks when switching, etc.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #2,695 of 3,255
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to think it over today, but I'm pretty sure I'm done with the Freya N. I may try Freya S/+ in the future if I get a second Aegir. At this point I may just sell these seperates, get a Ragnarok or Rogue Sphinx, and call it a day.
That's unfortunate. I have two Schiit products and they have functioned flawlessly. I like my Freya+ so much that I decided to upgrade the capacitors in the tube stage and vent the top to help dissipate the heat. (photos on page 178 of this thread). Sweet improvement in sound quality. That went so well that I have 8 Audio Note audiophile resistors arriving this week from Japan to replace the cheap ones in my tube stage, as well. Even with all my tinkering my Freya+ is working great.
Did you find anyone else having these popping issues?

Feb 12, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #2,696 of 3,255
That's unfortunate. I have two Schiit products and they have functioned flawlessly. I like my Freya+ so much that I decided to upgrade the capacitors in the tube stage and vent the top to help dissipate the heat. (photos on page 178 of this thread). Sweet improvement in sound quality. That went so well that I have 8 Audio Note audiophile resistors arriving this week from Japan to replace the cheap ones in my tube stage, as well. Even with all my tinkering my Freya+ is working great.
Did you find anyone else having these popping issues?
A cursory google search yielded a few cases, but no answers. In fact, there is an ad for an OG Freya on USAM right now where the person describes this very problem. They never bothered to send it in for repairs. This is the second Freya N that has had this problem. What are the odds? That's why I keep thinking it's something in my system, but i can't figure it out.

Feb 12, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #2,697 of 3,255
A cursory google search yielded a few cases, but no answers. In fact, there is an ad for an OG Freya on USAM right now where the person describes this very problem. They never bothered to send it in for repairs. This is the second Freya N that has had this problem. What are the odds? That's why I keep thinking it's something in my system, but i can't figure it out.
Yeah I wish I could find it but I could've sworn in one of Schiit's manuals or faq's for a product with a relay stepped attenuator they said that hearing pops through speakers was "normal" on changing volume.

I think I read that it has to do with the preamp, amp, and speakers as a system, and is related to residual DC at the speaker outputs. Would be interesting to see if it happened when you hooked the freya up to a headamp or another amp.

FWIW my system pops when I change the volume on the freya N but it seems a bit different than the popping in your video.

Feb 12, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #2,698 of 3,255
Its all the freyas even the solid state… When turning the volume fast it will pop but yours sounds exaggerated to the point i wonder if you have really high gain in your chain somewhere. I got away from integrated but i can understand the convenience. Ragnorak while tempting was out of reach for me n id hate to rely on one item for everything since leaving AVRs. Its definitely not all flawless but for the cost to power ratio I’ve accepted the quirks with some schiit gear. Freya definitely needs the most acceptance but if you need the gain or want the tube sound fit balanced it’s hard to beat

Feb 12, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #2,699 of 3,255
Yeah I wish I could find it but I could've sworn in one of Schiit's manuals or faq's for a product with a relay stepped attenuator they said that hearing pops through speakers was "normal" on changing volume.

I think I read that it has to do with the preamp, amp, and speakers as a system, and is related to residual DC at the speaker outputs. Would be interesting to see if it happened when you hooked the freya up to a headamp or another amp.

FWIW my system pops when I change the volume on the freya N but it seems a bit different than the popping in your video.
Thanks. I will look around for that. Maybe I will unbox it and try it through my headamp. I went to the Shiitr yesterday to try their Freya, and make sure I wasn't losing my mind, (The demo unit doesn't pop) and Will said "Schiit gear doesn't pop. At all. Return it."

Feb 12, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #2,700 of 3,255
i like schiit n have mostly their stuff but i e had to go theough exchanges n replacements too. The remote i got with the Freya N is bad where the buttons are pressed in on one side and the interior metal is so sharp it cuts me if i try to use the left side buttons. Have asked a couple times for exchange for just the remote in the past week to no response yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back