Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Apr 9, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #2,356 of 3,259
I hear one pop even using 6SN7's, when you turn the Freya+ on or it warms up, or if you change modes. With 6SL7's I've tried, I hear a pop when the attenuator knob passes the 12:00 position, and maybe one more around 3:00.
That's interesting. I have zero pops with 6SN7 of any variety.
I think the pops that I heard with 6C8G were near the same positions on the attenuator.

Apr 9, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #2,357 of 3,259
Hmmm…I have had my Freya+ since launch. I use the stock tubes in the buffer, and GE NOS in the gain stage.
I always run in tube mode. I have NEVER hear a pop until this week when I was streaming Amazon HD.. I was in my kitchen (not touching the volume),…and MAN, was it loud! I thought something blew up…but everything was just fine. Not a peep since.
I think it MUST have been a tube pop. Not sure.

Apr 9, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #2,358 of 3,259
I don't think I've had any combination so far, that didn't present at least one pop when the tube warmup period ended. The most pops I've heard so far, were with new production Tung Sol 6SN7's in the left output side, not in the right gain side. They had so many pops while listening at the same volume, I though my new vinyl record was defective! I only used them for a couple of LPs before I realized it was those Tung Sol's, so they won't see any more use.

Apr 10, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #2,359 of 3,259
Hmmm…I have had my Freya+ since launch. I use the stock tubes in the buffer, and GE NOS in the gain stage.
I always run in tube mode. I have NEVER hear a pop until this week when I was streaming Amazon HD.. I was in my kitchen (not touching the volume),…and MAN, was it loud! I thought something blew up…but everything was just fine. Not a peep since.
I think it MUST have been a tube pop. Not sure.

I haven't experienced a single pop with my Freya+ and it's always in tube mode. Running the new issue Tung Sols, and many other 6SN7's. Maybe one pop with my Bottlehead amps in 8 years and one nasty pop like you experienced in a Woo Audio WA2 (surely something got destroyed I thought but nope, all OK). I think it's always a good idea to not plug in for about 10 minutes which I always try to practice.

Apr 11, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #2,360 of 3,259
I also haven't experienced popping running 6SN7, 6SL7 nor ECC32-CV181.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #2,362 of 3,259
Hi guys, I registered here because it looks like this forum is the primary online forum for Schiit gear.

In regards to the Freya, does anyone else feel that it's a failure? Lack of musical engagement. Has anyone else noticed this?
Schiit? Of all the criticisms I can think of (for one, they're communists who don't understand the profit motive) not engaging is the opposite of what most consider 'the Schiit sound'.

Apr 19, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #2,363 of 3,259
Just wanted to show the socket savers I am using. I ordered them from a Russian e bay seller and they are very nicely constructed. Ceramic PL8-1K. They really look nice and I like the flat plate look of them installed in the Freya+ ................ Look for

1x NOVIK TUBE SOCKET SAVER CERAMIC PRO1 - FOR 8PIN OCTAL TUBES 6L6 6V6 6SN7 EL34​

IMO well worth the money.

11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg

14.jpg
I'm curious ... with the top of the socket savers falling below the top surface of the Freya's chassis, how do you remove the tubes without also removing the socket savers (which defeats the purpose of the savers) ?

Apr 19, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #2,364 of 3,259
I'm curious ... with the top of the socket savers falling below the top surface of the Freya's chassis, how do you remove the tubes without also removing the socket savers (which defeats the purpose of the savers) ?
A nimble finger allows you to keep the saver in place while swapping tubes out.

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #2,365 of 3,259

The top of the saver is nearly even with the top. I use a small wooden ice cream bar stick filed down into a wedge. Just wiggle the tube slightly and the wedge goes right between to hold the saver down while removing the tube. Works perfectly.

I don't change tubes frequently but did the savers mainly to get additional heat out of the interior and I like the look of the tubes outside of the preamp.

20220419_193120.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #2,366 of 3,259
Well, I played a couple of songs that I test every pair of tubes on, and these Raytheon's didn't blow me away. I wouldn't kick them out of bed, but I wouldn't want to spend a weekend with them either. They just had a little less of everything, nothing was bad, but they didn't do anything stellar either. The highs were not quite as high, there was a little less bass, and the vocals were not as pronounced.

The soundstage was definitely not as tall as I get from most other tubes. I've actually done better with less expensive 6SL7's, despite them having to be cranked a little higher with the occasional pops. It depends on what other tubes you have or want, but I don't know that I would be thrilled at $116 for a pair, I'm not ecstatic at paying $85 for mine. I would save for better like Tung-Sols or 5692's, or try some 6SL7's for the price of the Raytheon's. That is just my opinion on my system, so take it for what it's worth.
Thanks, it's enough. I haven't been hugely impressed by the RCA ladders I have, I mean they're fine, as you say though many others do better for my ears. I'll pass, they probably don't look that great in person anyway. I just loved how they look in the ad!

Apr 20, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #2,367 of 3,259
I like that "audiophile ice cream spoon device," I've been pulling my savers out stuck to the tubes for the same reason. I was a little more concerned that my vintage expensive tubes might loosen, crack, or have the center pin break, more than wearing out the sockets in my Freya+. I may try a plastic bicycle tire tool, it has a similar wedge.

Apr 20, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #2,368 of 3,259
"Socket Savers" are a generic term for these. True "socket savers" are used typically on tube testers, and have a screw that would attach them to the tester. (as in photo)

There are other reasons to use them.

I feel socket savers are a MUST on Freya.
Without socket savers, one has to remove the tubes by the glass.
Probably ok with current production tubes, but any OLD tubes may have VERY old glue.
I have some pairs from 1943 and 1944. That glue is nearly 80 years old, I WILL NOT pull on the glass! :)
s-l500.jpg

May 9, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #2,370 of 3,259
Using NOS tubes- up to $1000 for a quad- can the Freya+ hold a candle to something like the PrimaLuna Evo 400- or is it just not possible?
Evo is not that great. It depends on the listening preference and what you're listening for. Those former lean solid state sounding for reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back