Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jan 22, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #2,251 of 3,234
Thanks for adding me to the group. It took me a week but I went through all of the pages in this thread in an effort to get to know my Freya Plus better (purchased in Dec) and to decide which tubes to roll first.

My stock tubes are the new Electro Harmonix 6SN7. Unlike some folks I know that were getting NOS tubes even before their Freya arrived, I decided to give the EHs a fair shake before betraying them with another. This lasted 4 weeks. Considering I’ve no frame of reference (this being my first tube experience) I really liked it.

During this month of break-in, I heard the tube sonically adjust (maybe bloom is a more poetic description?). This was evidenced by more volume at my typical spot, so I had to adjust it back a tad. Also, I could be totally imagining this but I swear the tubes start burning brighter as I spent more time with them. My research on this thread and the reference thread indicated that out of the new production lots, the EH is highly regarded so I guess I lucked out. Obviously part of the time I spent on this thread and speaking with at least two respected tube dealers was about what to eventually replace the tubes with, so here is what I got:

Used pair of CBS Hytron 5692 Brown Base–I’m the third owner. This is from Upscale Audio—Kevin’s Stash (no cryo). I got these from a seller that I’ve done business with and he barely used them and was getting rid of his Freya and was selling it with both the stock and Hytron tubes. He also had some good quality socket savers. I convinced him to sell the 5692’s and Socket Savers to me for $200, which I think is very fair price. I picked it up yesterday and also auditioned his hi fi system while I was at it.

Used Sylvania 6SN7GTA Angled T Plate from a recommended seller on eBay. These are Platinum Matched on AT10000 and tests within NOS tolerances. These were delivered while I was on the way to Brooklyn to pick up the 5692’s. Paid $60 bucks for a pair, which seemed reasonable.

I’ve started to finally roll today starting with the 5692s on the gain stage while keeping the stock EH in the cathode follower. I’m wondering about two items:

1 Is there a break in period considering they are used? I doubt it, but figured I ask to set my expectations. From the first couple of hours listening, I’m finding the vocals more lush and no hint of upper treble shoutiness (the EH occasionally did that while it was blooming). The decay seems to be a tad longer too. I like it!

2. Is there a way to tell the year of manufacturing? My best guess is just the decade (1950’s) but I can’t get closer than that. Perhaps I’ll try to closely examine the markings on the glass to see if I can spot anything.

Not sure when to start testing the Sylvania’s quite yet. Want to spend some quality time with the Hytron first.

Any feed back on either of these tubes will be appreciated.

Jan 26, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #2,253 of 3,234
Hello all,

Suppose I will read back through the pages to get some tube recommendations for my new Freya+, I was looking at some CV181-Z from Shuguang Treasure, but I believe those aren't rated as the same amount of power as the regular 6SN7s is that true? I believe they pull more power, so theoretically could do damage to the Freya board over time? I may be a misunderstanding that, but I believe they pull more power than the Freya is rated for.

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #2,254 of 3,234

Attachments

• IMG_0242.jpeg
    IMG_0242.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
Jan 27, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #2,257 of 3,234
I got my Freya+ a few weeks ago and it came with JJs, which are definitely not good. I already replaced those with some new Tung Sols while the good stuff arrives. I also ordered a few others including these which are in the gain stage with only a few hours of listening time, so far, so good! CBS Hytron 6SN7GT VACUUM TUBES Bad Boy Plate 105% NOS Matched PLATINUM PLUS 1955

Who is the trusted ebay seller you got these from? Used Sylvania 6SN7GTA Angled T Plate from a recommended seller on eBay. These are Platinum Matched on AT10000.

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #2,261 of 3,234
Just wanted to show the socket savers I am using. I ordered them from a Russian e bay seller and they are very nicely constructed. Ceramic PL8-1K. They really look nice and I like the flat plate look of them installed in the Freya+ ................ Look for

1x NOVIK TUBE SOCKET SAVER CERAMIC PRO1 - FOR 8PIN OCTAL TUBES 6L6 6V6 6SN7 EL34​

IMO well worth the money.

11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg

14.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #2,262 of 3,234
Just wanted to show the socket savers I am using. I ordered them from a Russian e bay seller and they are very nicely constructed. Ceramic PL8-1K. They really look nice and I like the flat plate look of them installed in the Freya. ................ Look for

1x NOVIK TUBE SOCKET SAVER CERAMIC PRO1 - FOR 8PIN OCTAL TUBES 6L6 6V6 6SN7 EL34​

IMO well worth the money.

11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg

14.jpg
Very nice! Not only are the sockets ‘saved’ from wear-‘n-tear, but the amplifier also cools more efficiently.

Feb 2, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #2,263 of 3,234
I just ordered some of those black plastic looking socket savers from someone else on ebay, and I couldn't use them at all. The holes for the pins were so tight, I could never get a tube in. It felt like I was going to break the circuit board if I pressed any harder, so those are going in the trash! I will look for these and order right away, thanks for the heads up!

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #2,264 of 3,234
Hi guys,

let me ask you,
which headphone-amp & headphones are you using with Freya + ?

I am curious, if you can hear some hum/buzz/hiss from this Schiit pre-amp, when you use some efficient headphones (not IEMs)

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #2,265 of 3,234
Hi guys,

let me ask you,
which headphone-amp & headphones are you using with Freya + ?

I am curious, if you can hear some hum/buzz/hiss from this Schiit pre-amp, when you use some efficient headphones (not IEMs)

Re. questions about potential noise, there will be a few variables at work, including:
  • Running in tube or SS mode?
    • If with tubes, which ones?
  • Output single-ended or balanced?
  • Input single-ended or balanced?
  • Are there any ground loop issues?
There are a lot of things that can put noise into the signal path. Once there, it'll be carried all the way to your ears. Generally speaking, in itself the Freya operates as an exceedingly quiet preamp, unless the installed tubes are inherently noisy/microphonic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back