Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Feb 7, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #2,267 of 3,234
Has anyone (please please please) know where I can find some of those SUPER rare 6SN7GTB Amperex "Made in Holland" black base, orange writing, tubes from? I LOVE the sound of them, Amperex never made tubes in Holland, so I don't know who made them for them, but I cannot find them in stock ANYWHERE and I'm willing to pay a pretty penny for them.

Here is a link to see which ones I mean

https://www.worldtubecompany.com/mm...ode=WTC&Product_Code=6SN7GTBAN&Category_Code=

PLEASE HELP, I'm willing to pay you a finders fee

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #2,268 of 3,234
@Balthazar B I mean in tube mode, single-ended input <-> single ended output, stock tubes.

I want to use Freya with my THX789 which is totally quiet amp, so I am curious about any noise which could be potentionaly present. As power filter I use Niagara 1200.

I think you should ask in the main Schiit thread. Way more eyes would see it there, and lots of people who would be able to address your question from experience. I'd surmise, though, that most folks who get a Freya+ swap out at least the gain tubes from stock soon after purchase.

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #2,269 of 3,234
Re. questions about potential noise, there will be a few variables at work, including:
  • Running in tube or SS mode?
    • If with tubes, which ones?
  • Output single-ended or balanced?
  • Input single-ended or balanced?
  • Are there any ground loop issues?
There are a lot of things that can put noise into the signal path. Once there, it'll be carried all the way to your ears. Generally speaking, in itself the Freya operates as an exceedingly quiet preamp, unless the installed tubes are inherently noisy/microphonic.
I have a Schiit Magni Heresy connected to the second set of outputs on the back of the Freya. Listening with basic Sony MDR 7506’s. I use the tube buffer and I have no noise in the signal path.

Feb 10, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #2,270 of 3,234
@Balthazar B I mean in tube mode, single-ended input <-> single ended output, stock tubes.

I want to use Freya with my THX789 which is totally quiet amp, so I am curious about any noise which could be potentionaly present. As power filter I use Niagara 1200.
You will have zero noise until you start rolling some tubes.

Feb 19, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #2,271 of 3,234
PXL_20220219_193550229.jpg
PXL_20220219_193543560.jpg

Just picked up some new Shunguan Treasures CV181-Z and some never used NOS quad matched 6H8C that are identical in build to the very elusive (and beautiful sounding) "Made in Holland" Amperex 6SN7GTB with the black base and orange text that are IMPOSSIBLE to find anywhere.

Can't wait to start breaking these in

Feb 20, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #2,272 of 3,234
FYI: Freya+ has significantly reduced noise over Freya (I've had both). No idea how Saga compares to Freya+, but I have heard great things about Saga. (I also require balanced, so Freya+ it is for me.)
my original Freya has no audible noise even with ear is inches away from speaker in either mode. I don't believe the reduced noise level in Freya+ is that significant. my speakers are 93db efficient.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #2,273 of 3,234
my original Freya has no audible noise even with ear is inches away from speaker in either mode. I don't believe the reduced noise level in Freya+ is that significant. my speakers are 93db efficient.
If you didn't hear noise with Freya and the Freya+ has a significant decrease in noise, the expectation is that you wouldn't be able to tell.
Other people with other systems might.

Feb 23, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #2,274 of 3,234
Can anyone tell me if Freya tube break-in can be done just powered on, or does music need to be running through the tubes for "break-in"?

The Freya+ gets SUPER hot after even an hour, how did you guys break in tubes? I've got some Black Treasure CV181-Z which I've heard can take HUNDREDS of hours to open up and I just can't imagine doing that organically

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #2,276 of 3,234
If you didn't hear noise with Freya and the Freya+ has a significant decrease in noise, the expectation is that you wouldn't be able to tell.
Other people with other systems might.

I found my original Freya to be quite noisy. There was always some level of background static, even with quiet tubes.

Freya+ was a BIG improvement.

Mar 2, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #2,277 of 3,234
I found my original Freya to be quite noisy. There was always some level of background static, even with quiet tubes.

Freya+ was a BIG improvement.
i've read some people have had that issue. mine is very quiet. i have to put my ears on the tweeters to hear anything. i've asked a couple of my audiophile buddies who have the OG FREYA to check for noise in their systems and they have same experience as myself. weird...

Mar 2, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #2,279 of 3,234

Just picked up some new Shunguan Treasures CV181-Z and some never used NOS quad matched 6H8C that are identical in build to the very elusive (and beautiful sounding) "Made in Holland" Amperex 6SN7GTB with the black base and orange text that are IMPOSSIBLE to find anywhere.

Can't wait to start breaking these in
So...how are those new tubes sounding. I am getting a new McIntosh Amp this week...and I think I would like to try another set of NOS Tubes......

Mar 3, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #2,280 of 3,234
So...how are those new tubes sounding. I am getting a new McIntosh Amp this week...and I think I would like to try another set of NOS Tubes......
Still in the break in period, but sounding good. If I'm being honest I've found some of my dream tubes and I can't wait to take these out now lol.

I will likely move the CV181-Z treasures to the left side and put the new Amperex 6SN7GTB "made in Holland" in the gain side once they get here.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back