Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Dec 23, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #2,236 of 3,226
Have any of you tried playing with the HITACHI 6SN7GTB Japan?

Dec 23, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #2,237 of 3,226
Thank you. I'd be careful buying from eBay unless established with the seller or can test for confirmation which I recommend always.
I assume anything I purchase on ebay is some sort of fraud or scam. I assume all other individuals do likewise, I forget to include warnings for those that need them. Apologies.

That said, I purchased tubes from one of the most well reputed resellers and got stuff that was not tested or even used, as the legs were crooked and it was NOT PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE for the tube to be plugged in.

I sent these tubes with their $10 testing fee back in a plain white envelope. I didn't bother with a refund as that is the last time I buy a "tested" tube from a "reputable" seller.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #2,238 of 3,226
I recently moved my Freya, Gungnir, and dual Vidars from a closed cabinet to the top of my console. Pretty sure they sound better now that I can see them while listening. :wink:

Using CBS/Haytron 5691 in driver stage and Psvane CV181-T mkii in gain stage, eventually feeding Ascend RAAL towers. Sounding really good today.

Dec 27, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #2,240 of 3,226
Jan 1, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #2,241 of 3,226
Outside of Schiit's own amps like Vidar what would be a good stereo amp to pair with the Freya+? Also is it worth it over the smaller Saga+?

Jan 1, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #2,243 of 3,226
Depends more than anything on with which set of speakers you're pairing the amp.

Well my speakers are the Monitor Audio Silver 100. I'm looking to get a Marantz PM8005 amp.

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #2,244 of 3,226
Well my speakers are the Monitor Audio Silver 100. I'm looking to get a Marantz PM8005 amp.

You wouldn't be pairing an integrated amp with a Freya or Saga. If you'll be using a preamp, you have plenty of choices in power amps with those speakers, but frankly either a Vidar or Aegir should work fine. The former if you'll be driving them loud, the latter if you want more musicality and finesse.

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #2,245 of 3,226
You wouldn't be pairing an integrated amp with a Freya or Saga. If you'll be using a preamp, you have plenty of choices in power amps with those speakers, but frankly either a Vidar or Aegir should work fine. The former if you'll be driving them loud, the latter if you want more musicality and finesse.

The Aegir is only 20 watts into 8 Ohms. Seems pretty low. My room is a 12 x 13 feet bedroom that I'm using as my "man cave".

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #2,246 of 3,226
The Aegir is only 20 watts into 8 Ohms. Seems pretty low. My room is a 12 x 13 feet bedroom that I'm using as my "man cave".

Those Monitors run lower than 8 Ohms, so you'll be getting more like 30-40 watts from the Aegir. And they have decent sensitivity. I think on YouTube someone did a review of the Aegir with your speakers, but I don't recall the details. You might want to pose the Aegir-Monitor pairing question in the main Schiit forum rather than here; many more eyes will see it, and there may be someone there who has actually run that combo.

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #2,247 of 3,226
Those Monitors run lower than 8 Ohms, so you'll be getting more like 30-40 watts from the Aegir. And they have decent sensitivity. I think on YouTube someone did a review of the Aegir with your speakers, but I don't recall the details. You might want to pose the Aegir-Monitor pairing question in the main Schiit forum rather than here; many more eyes will see it, and there may be someone there who has actually run that combo.

Okay. The reason I'm looking at the Marantz PM8005 is cause it has a headphone jack. I'm trying to have one setup for both headphones and speakers.

Jan 1, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #2,248 of 3,226
Okay. The reason I'm looking at the Marantz PM8005 is cause it has a headphone jack. I'm trying to have one setup for both headphones and speakers.

Then maybe a Ragnarok would be the all-in-one you're looking for. More power than an Aegir, and all the I/O you could hope for. I don't have one, but there are probably dozens of folks in the main Schiit forum who do. And maybe even someone running your speakers and headphones with one.

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #2,249 of 3,226
I do need some help in this case...

I'm eyeing an aegir for my DAli speakers.... and is it correct that I need also a preamp freya, a dac and a streamer if i want spotify working? Is there a simpler solution for a setup??? Thanks

Jan 5, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #2,250 of 3,226
My favorite Tube. PM me if you have a source/stash
Koray did have but he's currently out of stock.

If I see them in the wild, I'll be sure to send you a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back