Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Mar 30, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #2,341 of 3,259
Out of curiosity how do people find this amp in 2022? I've had it in my sights for awhile but have yet to dip into the Tube world yet.
You must tube roll.

I was able to compare the Freya with Cary SLP-98, PrimaLuna EVO 400 and Supratek Cabernet and what I really appreciate about the Freya is it doesn't impart an overt character particularly in richness. It was also an excellent exercise in how some 6SN7 complement synergy in one stage than the other, also makes it a bit cumbersome to equivocate comparative reach but I can say of all my gear, the Freya is offering that particular fitting piece of the puzzle.

Apr 5, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #2,342 of 3,259
Went to switch to tube stage this evening and the unit went dark. No lights, doesn't seem to power on.

I'm aware I can send the unit back to schiit, but before I end up paying for shipping to and from Schiit, has anyone else encountered this issue?

Could this be something like a blown fuse (not even sure if these have fuses)

Apr 5, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #2,343 of 3,259
Went to switch to tube stage this evening and the unit went dark. No lights, doesn't seem to power on.

I'm aware I can send the unit back to schiit, but before I end up paying for shipping to and from Schiit, has anyone else encountered this issue?

Could this be something like a blown fuse (not even sure if these have fuses)

Yes, there is a fuse. If you look at the photos of the pcb on the Schiit website, you will see a fuse right by the power switch. I don't believe it's meant for an end user to change especially under warranty.

However, I bought my Freya+ second hand and would absolutely take it apart to get at the fuse. I'd have no other choice. You have to be really careful if self attempted. The caps have a potential to kill and that it why Schiit discourages opening their units up. There should be no stored energy inside the unit before attempting to venture inside.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #2,344 of 3,259
Yes, there is a fuse. If you look at the photos of the pcb on the Schiit website, you will see a fuse right by the power switch. I don't believe it's meant for an end user to change especially under warranty.

However, I bought my Freya+ second hand and would absolutely take it apart to get at the fuse. I'd have no other choice. You have to be really careful if self attempted. The caps have a potential to kill and that it why Schiit discourages opening their units up. There should be no stored energy inside the unit before attempting to venture inside.
Hmmm…cool!…I just looked at the photo of the board on the Schiit website, and YES there is a fuse there plain as day and easy to change. Wonder if that is the problem, what made it blow?….possibly a problem with one of the tubes? I would love to know the fuse specs. I could have some handy for future reference.

Apr 5, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #2,345 of 3,259
Probably just a standard fuse and very easy to find. I really hope dude120's issue is the fuse and nothing major.

Or a great time to upgrade to an "audiophile grade" fuse ....LOL :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #2,346 of 3,259
Fuse: standard?…fuses have size, type and a name (number). They can be very hard to find sometimes.
There is no "standard" fuses….trust me! 🤓
Audiophile fuse??? Noooooooooooooo! 🙂

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #2,349 of 3,259

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #2,352 of 3,259
In my limited research on this thread and Steve Hoffman forums, the Raytheon's didn't seem to get quite the same rave reviews as several other brands/types. So far I have found nothing I can afford that compares to my CBS/RCA 5692's, they do everything so much better than all the others I've tried. I was blessed to be offered those from someone on this forum. Not cheap, but very well worth it and a relative bargain for the $300 price I was able to purchase them for.

I'm still trying to learn about Melz but now is not the best time for rookies like me to find those. I'm plugging the Raytheon's in soon so I will let you know how mine sound! Of course it's so relative, given everything else that's part of your system or my system.

Apr 8, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #2,353 of 3,259
Well, I played a couple of songs that I test every pair of tubes on, and these Raytheon's didn't blow me away. I wouldn't kick them out of bed, but I wouldn't want to spend a weekend with them either. They just had a little less of everything, nothing was bad, but they didn't do anything stellar either. The highs were not quite as high, there was a little less bass, and the vocals were not as pronounced.

The soundstage was definitely not as tall as I get from most other tubes. I've actually done better with less expensive 6SL7's, despite them having to be cranked a little higher with the occasional pops. It depends on what other tubes you have or want, but I don't know that I would be thrilled at $116 for a pair, I'm not ecstatic at paying $85 for mine. I would save for better like Tung-Sols or 5692's, or try some 6SL7's for the price of the Raytheon's. That is just my opinion on my system, so take it for what it's worth.

Apr 9, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #2,354 of 3,259
Well, I played a couple of songs that I test every pair of tubes on, and these Raytheon's didn't blow me away. I wouldn't kick them out of bed, but I wouldn't want to spend a weekend with them either. They just had a little less of everything, nothing was bad, but they didn't do anything stellar either. The highs were not quite as high, there was a little less bass, and the vocals were not as pronounced.

The soundstage was definitely not as tall as I get from most other tubes. I've actually done better with less expensive 6SL7's, despite them having to be cranked a little higher with the occasional pops. It depends on what other tubes you have or want, but I don't know that I would be thrilled at $116 for a pair, I'm not ecstatic at paying $85 for mine. I would save for better like Tung-Sols or 5692's, or try some 6SL7's for the price of the Raytheon's. That is just my opinion on my system, so take it for what it's worth.
These "pops" you hear, do they happen when the volume is increased?
I rolled some 6C8G and noticed I needed more volume to reach a listenable level, and "pops" when I increased the volume knob.
The lower volume is odd to me, as the 6C8G in place of 6SN7 on my Woo Audio WA22 provides MORE gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back