Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Dec 30, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #1,921 of 3,234
Thanks a lot man!, I really appreciate taking the time to test that out.

But you're doing it wrong tho, you need to max the gain and max the volume knob on your THX amp and then control the volume via the Freya. Using two volume controls contributes to losing transparency and definition as you described.
I don't think you need to max out amp but put it in its Unity gain. For Drop ZDT Jr its around 1' Clock on dial. You can reach out to your amplifier manufacturer to get rough estimate on the volume knob For unity gain

Jan 27, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #1,922 of 3,234
I have a HDV820 and a pair of HD800s. Looking to add some tubes and extra bonus of being able to run my Klipsch RP600Ms.

Would a Freya+ and a Ragnarok be everything I need? Is there something else that would be a better setup? I really like the reviews of the Zana Deux as well... I would be listening to Tidal, and my AT-LP7.

Feb 6, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #1,923 of 3,234
I've read about the first 60 or so pages of this thread to determine what might be the best tubes to get for my Freya +. I got it a few weeks ago and am liking the sound overall. It seems that either the GE 6SN7GTB or RCA 5692's would be ideal upgrades from stock JJ tubes. I have still have more reading to do in the newer pages of this thread but is that still the summary of the best upgrade tubes?

Feb 10, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #1,924 of 3,234
Well, I ordered NOS matched quad GE 6SN7GTB tubes and received them today. They're a little smaller than the stock JJ tubes but wow do they improve the sound. There is definitely more clarity, dynamics, and because of the clarity, you can hear into the soundstage better. A great improvement for sure!

Feb 19, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #1,925 of 3,234
Earlier I wrote complaining of the difficulty of adjusting volume on the Freya+ with the motorized volume control. The supplied membrane remote only makes the situation worse. This cheap learning remote helps me. Not perfect but better than the membrane device. As little as $2.69 on ebay. Remote.jpg

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #1,926 of 3,234
I recently moved from Freya (1) to Freya+.

Freya (1) is fetching a fair amount on the secondhand market right now (assuming it's in good condition, obviously), so the upgrade cost wasn't too tough to swallow.

On the whole, I think Freya+ is a worthwhile upgrade. The sound is definitely different; it's cleaner, quieter, a little more relaxed.

The changes in how the remote interacts with the volume took some getting used to. It's not as precise as with the original, as one press on the remote yields 2-3 ticks. On one hand, it's more difficult to be as precise as you could be with the original, but on the other hand, it's much easier to obtain larger swings in volume when desired. I wouldn't let this scare you away.

I do have a question, though. The motorized pot is audible (not through speakers). Is this normal? With volume low, can anyone else hear the motor when adjusting volume via remote?

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #1,927 of 3,234
I recently moved from Freya (1) to Freya+.

On the whole, I think Freya+ is a worthwhile upgrade. The sound is definitely different; it's cleaner, quieter, a little more relaxed.

Thanks for posting. I like my Freya OG, and have been toying with the idea of upgrading to get the differential SS mode. Are you running the same tubes in Freya+ as you were in Freya(1)?

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #1,928 of 3,234
Thanks for posting. I like my Freya OG, and have been toying with the idea of upgrading to get the differential SS mode. Are you running the same tubes in Freya+ as you were in Freya(1)?

Yes, still running the Tung Sols from my first Freya. Looking to upgrade them soon... in fact that's the biggest reason I grabbed the +; I didn't want to burn expensive tubes while using the JFET buffer.

Mar 12, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #1,929 of 3,234
Question (semi-tube-rolling related) for Freya owners: I have a first-gen Freya, purchased new about a year ago. I got it with the cheaper NOS Russian tubes, expecting to eventually upgrade to better ones.

Which I recently did. I first tried a set of new Tung-Sol 6sn7s. After installing these, I notice that tapping on the top of the chassis with my finger produces a very audible sound from the speakers. Not a ringing noise, but more of a distorted cough-like thump, like the chassis noise is amplified beyond clipping. It's not crazy loud but definitely loud, and it is the same volume regardless of volume knob position, or if Mute is on or off. (Only in Tube mode though.)

I figured, great, I have a super-microphonic tube, but swapping them around never changed the noise. Neither did swapping to a set of Sylvania 6sn7s. I never noticed this with the NOS Russians, but I put them back in and the noise is there but a bit quieter.

Also, with the 6sn7s, there is sometimes an audible hum (not a hiss but a hum), but it's not always present. I don't recall ever hearing this with the Russian tubes.

Music sounds normal, as far as I can tell. It still functions properly.

I created a support issue with Schiit, but has anyone noticed this? What happens when you give the top of the chassis a light-to-moderate thump with your finger?

Mar 12, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #1,930 of 3,234
My "original series" Freya bought a couple of years ago sounds amazing and I really have no incentive to get the new version although it does seem like a well regarded upgrade. Since mine has had no issues other than the LEDs being too bright (a relatively difficult fix I documented elsewhere...very fiddly putting the thing back together with the LEDs poking into the proper holes) I'm simply happy tube rolling away...NOS GEs are my current fave. I just got up and thumped on the thing per the above post and there is no audible response to that (whew...). Also the audible mechanical volume clicks have been fairly well documented, and to me simply indicate that the relay system is working...doesn't bother me at all. I do like hearing that my version of the Freya has more accurate remote adjustments as I use that frequently and like the tiny increments I can get. Lucky me.

Mar 12, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #1,931 of 3,234
Question (semi-tube-rolling related) for Freya owners: I have a first-gen Freya, purchased new about a year ago. I got it with the cheaper NOS Russian tubes, expecting to eventually upgrade to better ones.

Which I recently did. I first tried a set of new Tung-Sol 6sn7s. After installing these, I notice that tapping on the top of the chassis with my finger produces a very audible sound from the speakers. Not a ringing noise, but more of a distorted cough-like thump, like the chassis noise is amplified beyond clipping. It's not crazy loud but definitely loud, and it is the same volume regardless of volume knob position, or if Mute is on or off. (Only in Tube mode though.)

I figured, great, I have a super-microphonic tube, but swapping them around never changed the noise. Neither did swapping to a set of Sylvania 6sn7s. I never noticed this with the NOS Russians, but I put them back in and the noise is there but a bit quieter.

Also, with the 6sn7s, there is sometimes an audible hum (not a hiss but a hum), but it's not always present. I don't recall ever hearing this with the Russian tubes.

Music sounds normal, as far as I can tell. It still functions properly.

I created a support issue with Schiit, but has anyone noticed this? What happens when you give the top of the chassis a light-to-moderate thump with your finger?
This is microphonics, I believe. This exact scenario is described in a review of Freya+ (John Darko?). All tubes are microphonic to a certain extent. Considering that and reports of similar behavior with Freya, I would imagine the tubes are picking up the vibrations. (This is why the symptoms do not present using the JFET buffer.)

I cannot recreate this currently (Freya+), but experienced it with my original Freya. I should note that I am currently running tube dampers (from Herbie's), and these may be suppressing the vibrations that you are hearing. Might be worth a shot to try - just make sure you check the spec sheet for your tubes and get the right size if you go that route, as 6SN7s vary in size. I think I paid ~$50-60 total for four. (Overpriced? Sure. Too expensive? No -- I'm happy with them.)

Mar 13, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #1,932 of 3,234
Thanks for pointing out the Darko review, I guess I'd never watched it all the way through. But yeah, mine sounds similar to that when I tap on the top. It makes me nervous that some people experience it and others don't. I will likely try some tube dampers, but there's no way they could get rid of all of the microphonics I'm hearing.

Of all the Schiit gear I've owned, this is the first item I've been iffy about. I don't mind the volume relay clicks, but it does bug me that I have to turn it up to nearly 50% to get to a low listening level. The whole first half of the volume throw is basically useless in my system. When I use my Jotunheim as the preamp in my system, it is LOUD at 15%. I know it's a different sort of beast, but it still makes me worry that there's something wrong with my Freya.

Mar 13, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #1,933 of 3,234
I've rarely had issues with tube microphony over decades of tube amp usage...mostly guitar amps...and luckily zero issues with my Freya so no dampers for me! The Freya (at least my original version) has plenty of gain into my little SEP amp, but maybe less than other preamps like my retired (and amazing sounding dual mono balanced blah blah) Kavent S-33 which had a 10 db gain boost I used all the time. That said, preamps can sound better when in their "50%" gain mode (I read that someplace), and note that with many modern preamps the higher preamp gain, even nearly maxed, doesn't necessarily introduce distortion...the non tube modes can still drive my little 12wpc power amp to relatively loud levels, and they make the tube gain seem aggressive...amp input sensitivity varies it seems, and yours might be less sensitive somehow. Or your Freya is BAD BAD BAD...and needs warranty attention.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #1,934 of 3,234
Thanks for pointing out the Darko review, I guess I'd never watched it all the way through. But yeah, mine sounds similar to that when I tap on the top. It makes me nervous that some people experience it and others don't. I will likely try some tube dampers, but there's no way they could get rid of all of the microphonics I'm hearing.

Of all the Schiit gear I've owned, this is the first item I've been iffy about. I don't mind the volume relay clicks, but it does bug me that I have to turn it up to nearly 50% to get to a low listening level. The whole first half of the volume throw is basically useless in my system. When I use my Jotunheim as the preamp in my system, it is LOUD at 15%. I know it's a different sort of beast, but it still makes me worry that there's something wrong with my Freya.
I wouldn't worry about the volume knob position (personally, if my listening level was loud at 15% I'd find that problematic; the greater useable range, the better) -- I don't think that's a real issue, more so just the result of gain combinations of pre / power amps, power amp wattage, and speaker sensitivity. That being said, if you don't like it, by all means, find a preamp with volume ratios, etc. that don't bother you. It is your end-user experience that matters above all, after all.
I certainly understand being bothered by the microphonics. I'm going to guess Freya doesn't necessarily isolate the case elements and tube sockets sufficiently to prevent this in every situation or from unit to unit. That's just a guess. It never bothered me on my original, because I never tapped it while listening, but I certainly understand why it bothers you, and I wouldn't blame you for being anxious about it at all.
Just my 2 cents!

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #1,935 of 3,234
I’m curious how you’re still liking those tubes? I am contacting Tube world and seeing what other recommendations he has. Last time he set me up with some amazing tubes and they were jaw dropping (I wasn’t really a believer in tube magic until then).

I will post my decision and let you all know! I have the Freya + full balanced with a Yggy and mono-amp Vidars. As of now I can tell you my system absolutely kills but I’m really excited to hear it with some very nice tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back