Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Mar 20, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #1,936 of 3,233
I’m curious how you’re still liking those tubes? I am contacting Tube world and seeing what other recommendations he has. Last time he set me up with some amazing tubes and they were jaw dropping (I wasn’t really a believer in tube magic until then).

I will post my decision and let you all know! I have the Freya + full balanced with a Yggy and mono-amp Vidars. As of now I can tell you my system absolutely kills but I’m really excited to hear it with some very nice tubes.
They're the only tubes I've ever used, so... yeah.

I think they're alright. Certainly, relative to the JFET stage, they offer a more three-dimensional soundstage, and they are a little less bright; they're also smoother. (More... "liquid"? That's the word that first came to mind when I originally heard and attempted to describe them, and I still go to it -- although I'm not sure that translates well for everyone else.) But, I feel they're kind of noisy, and I'd like a little more detail.

I find they work very well with recordings that feature some level of background noise (like analog recordings, or acoustic, jazz, etc.) or when I'm listening to vinyl and there's that touch of surface noise. But, when I listen to electronic music or anything digitally mastered that has completely silent backgrounds behind vocal samples, etc., it becomes very clear to me that they are a little muddy and don't have the level of clarity I'm looking for. I think the background noise in the recordings masks the lack of clarity in the Tung Sols.

I'd like to try some RCA 5692s, but I haven't pulled the trigger.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #1,937 of 3,233
Thanks for the reply! I’m a huge fan of Tube world and he’s recommending
Sylvania 6SN7GTB
It’s quad matched for $200. I may just go with those. But I really have to admit, the stock tubes are pretty darn good. I have a newer Freya.

They're the only tubes I've ever used, so... yeah.

I think they're alright. Certainly, relative to the JFET stage, they offer a more three-dimensional soundstage, and they are a little less bright; they're also smoother. (More... "liquid"? That's the word that first came to mind when I originally heard and attempted to describe them, and I still go to it -- although I'm not sure that translates well for everyone else.) But, I feel they're kind of noisy, and I'd like a little more detail.

I find they work very well with recordings that feature some level of background noise (like analog recordings, or acoustic, jazz, etc.) or when I'm listening to vinyl and there's that touch of surface noise. But, when I listen to electronic music or anything digitally mastered that has completely silent backgrounds behind vocal samples, etc., it becomes very clear to me that they are a little muddy and don't have the level of clarity I'm looking for. I think the background noise in the recordings masks the lack of clarity in the Tung Sols.

I'd like to try some RCA 5692s, but I haven't pulled the trigger.

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #1,938 of 3,233
Apr 10, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #1,940 of 3,233
I wanted to say I’ve had the Sylvania’s for the past two weeks and have been very pleased with the sound! First, I should say the tubes Schiit gives with the Freya are very good. The sound quality isn’t dramatically altered by the Sylvania’s. However, the best part of these Tubes are how they increase the enjoyment of listening. The Sylvania’s make listening easier on your ears. They give you a beautiful reproduction of overtones and a natural tone quality. If you want to color your DAC for a “warmer” sound, this is the way to go. I don’t believe in the warmer crap as much as it just sounds more natural or authentic.

It is my feeling that this Preamp, the Freya +, is a brilliant piece of equipment. The solid state section sounds amazing and the Tube section is superb. If you want to save a ton of money and avoid the hassle of records, pairing the Freya with a nice DAC should make you very happy. I haven’t heard a ton of DACs but I settled on the Yggdrasil. Somehow I wound up with a Schiit system but that’s mostly because of tons of reading and excellent reviews. Plus it doesn’t hurt that Schiit is only an hour drive for me if I ever need a repair. My Freya and Yggy are my two favorite audio purchases.

Apr 19, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #1,941 of 3,233
I had pulled the trigger for Schitt Freya and Nos quad Sylvania 6sn7 GTB made in 1955.

I hope it will give relaxed tube flavor to both Sr1a driven by Jot R and 009s driven by Kgsshv Carbon amp.

Although I enjoy open and exciting sound out of Sr1a but it get close to hot from time to time.

I wish to tame it with Freya.

But Freya is backordered so that I may get it on next Thursday or later.

I also have quad Sylvania vt231 made in 1940's but two of them are in my 2 channel amplifier and I keep one more pair as spare

I had chosen Sylvania vt231 in Line Magnetic 508 amp after comparing with Nos Kenrad, Amperex made in Canada and modern Shuguang Treasure cv181-z.

Shuguang Treasure sounds warm and organic but falls slightly short of vt231 in details.

Sylvania "Bad boy" made in 1952 are hard to get with exorbitant price which I had not tried in my system.

But I am happy with Sylvania vt231 which give excellent details, nice dynamics, wide and deep soundstage.

With possibility of using different tubes on gain and buffer stage, there are too many combinations to try out.

I will start out using quad Sylvania GTB made in 1955.

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #1,942 of 3,233
I received Freya+ this morning

I skipped JJ stock tubes and inserted Nos Amperex 6sn7gtb in gain stage and Sylvania 6sn7gtb in buffer stage.

After running demagnetization tracks twice( 6min each) on Freya and Jot R, I started listening to Capricio Italian (Tchaikovsky) directed by Bernstein.

Wow, Freya with Jot R sounds much better than Jot R only with more relaxed and nuanced details but with minimal loss of transparency

While it sounds slightly thin with Jot R only.

Old Jazz recording by Benny Goodman sounds more relaxed with less hot edge from Freya and Jot R.

My digital source is Dave and HMS.

I use 20ft Purist Audio Design balanced cable between Dave and Freya and 6ft Synergistic Research balanced cable between Freya and Jot R.

I still have several choice of tube rolling with Sylvania vt231, RCA gray glass 6sn7gt and all quad Syl 6sn7 gtb.

Audio depends on personal preference, but Freya fitted with Nos tubes and Jot R sounds much more musical to my ears than Jot R only with overall nuanced presentation.

Although I had enjoyed fast and exciting sound out of Sr1a driven by Jot R for the last three months, I keep going back to 009s driven by Kgsshv Carbon amp to get more relaxed sound.

With Freya and Jot R, Sr1a move halfway between Jot R only and 009s with relaxed presentation.

I will also apply Freya to Kgsshv Carbon amp later today to find its effect on sound of 009s.

Out of curiosity, I am driving HD 800s out of Rca output of Freya using "Hosa TPR-257" adapter bought from Amazon.

Wow, Freya+ is also a killer amp for HD 800s.

I had driven HD 800s by headphone output of Dave and HMS.

It sounds transparent but with one note bass.

But with Freya in the chain after Dave, HD 800s sounds almost perfect with nice soundstage, clean details and full and textured bass.

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #1,943 of 3,233
Hey guys I jus purchased a Freya and am lookin to get some good Tubes to run in it. If anyone is trying to sell some please do let me know.

Thanks

Apr 27, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #1,944 of 3,233
Hey guys I jus purchased a Freya and am lookin to get some good Tubes to run in it. If anyone is trying to sell some please do let me know.

Thanks

I got a set of four RCA 6SN7 GTBs (~'56 - '60) from Andy at Vintage Tube Services for a very reasonable price, and I'm happy with the results.

He has a stock list w. pricing on his website. It's worth checking out.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #1,945 of 3,233
I got a set of four RCA 6SN7 GTBs (~'56 - '60) from Andy at Vintage Tube Services for a very reasonable price, and I'm happy with the results.

He has a stock list w. pricing on his website. It's worth checking out.
Dont know how I missed this, but I appreciate the response. I got a couple pairs from brent jesse at audiotubes.com and they have been quite enjoyable thus far. RCA and Sylvania but can't remember the exact ones. I will add that info later when Im home.

The JJ tubes were not very enjoyable but certainly better than other new production tubes I've heard in the past. These made the highs rather harsh. The new/ old tubes don't have that harsh top end and are more holographic with better detail and separation. Every time I own a tube amp of any kind I end up spending tons on tubes to try and find the perfect sound. This time is... exactly the same as I now want to purchase more and more options haha.

I read a few posts back that the Freya sounded better with the same tubes in all 4 rather than two differing pairs in the 4. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

May 7, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #1,946 of 3,233
Update on the tube rolling for Schitt Freya.

Sylvania vt231 in gain stage and RCA gray bottle in buffer stage give ideal combination of details speed and wide and deep soundstage but without hot edges.

Freya fitted with above Nos tubes and Kgsshv Carbon drive 009s with sublime air, fast speed and textured bass.

Freya + and Rogue Cronus Magnum II makes Raal sr1a sing without aggressiveness.

You do not need to use same quad tube in Freya.

May 10, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #1,947 of 3,233
Calling all you tube gurus out there. I could really use an answer to this question. I have a pair of unbelievably beautiful sounding 6N3 tubes and thought it could be forever before I got to hear them again. Browsing Ebay I came across this and simply don't know enough to know if it would be okay to run in my Freya.
s-l640.jpg

Anyone know if it would be ok to run these safely?

Thanks for the help guys

May 10, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #1,948 of 3,233
Calling all you tube gurus out there. I could really use an answer to this question. I have a pair of unbelievably beautiful sounding 6N3 tubes and thought it could be forever before I got to hear them again. Browsing Ebay I came across this and simply don't know enough to know if it would be okay to run in my Freya.s-l640.jpg
Anyone know if it would be ok to run these safely?

Thanks for the help guys
Freya plate voltage is the problem. She runs at 300 volts. Noval tubes will have a high chance of arcing. This is really bad. You may be able to get away with it on Saga, which runs 200 volts.

May 23, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #1,949 of 3,233
Does anyone have any comparisons of the older Freya to the newer one? Right now I'm listening my speaker system of, Original Freya - AES Lynx Card fed Yggdrasil A2 - to the speakers, and it sounds fantastic. But as you know in this hobby....always searching around.

May 23, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #1,950 of 3,233
Does anyone have any comparisons of the older Freya to the newer one? Right now I'm listening my speaker system of, Original Freya - AES Lynx Card fed Yggdrasil A2 - to the speakers, and it sounds fantastic. But as you know in this hobby....always searching around.

copying my post here - hope it's helpful:

I recently moved from Freya (1) to Freya+.

Freya (1) is fetching a fair amount on the secondhand market right now (assuming it's in good condition, obviously), so the upgrade cost wasn't too tough to swallow.

On the whole, I think Freya+ is a worthwhile upgrade. The sound is definitely different; it's cleaner, quieter, a little more relaxed.

The changes in how the remote interacts with the volume took some getting used to. It's not as precise as with the original, as one press on the remote yields 2-3 ticks. On one hand, it's more difficult to be as precise as you could be with the original, but on the other hand, it's much easier to obtain larger swings in volume when desired. I wouldn't let this scare you away.

I do have a question, though. The motorized pot is audible (not through speakers). Is this normal? With volume low, can anyone else hear the motor when adjusting volume via remote?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back