Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Nov 7, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #1,891 of 3,234
The volume control has changed on the Freya+. If you have a look at the interior pictures, you'll see what seems to be a motorized volume knob. It turns when the remote is used. Hence the slight delay and, I think, a somewhat reduced precision. I think this worked better in the Freya "classic" and that's how it worked on my old preamp.

Nov 8, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #1,892 of 3,234
I find the remote and control of the volume to be a problem on the Freya+. My last preamp also had relay switched volume so I am accustomed to the clicking. However, it did not work through the volume control knob, so it was much quicker. Also, the buttons on that remote were physical ones, not the deforming plastic ones. I could actually do one click at a time then, though each click there meant more than a Schiit click. Bottom line is that it is much harder to control the volume on the Freya+ with precision.

I had the exact same observations about the remote action on my Freya+ during the whole day of using it after it came in two days ago. Next day it malfunctioned altogether, with remote not bringing the volume up all the way -- only the physical knob on the unit. Schiit said it was the motor, so today I sent it back and am waiting for a replacement.

I also felt upon the first day of listening that I might prefer the sound of my original Freya, and that feeling is again confirmed now that I swapped it back into the system. If I tried to qualify it any further, I'd say that the quality of the upper mids and highs was on the more crystaline side, almost too clean, almost thin perhaps. This is all of course subjective but I have a pretty decent trained hearing that I make a living with, and this system is incredibly resolving of all detail. The preamp goes balanced straight into Geithain RL901K; the room is tuned and quiet.

It could also be due to the difference in tubes -- the old Freya has a mix of Tung-Sols and NOS. Also lack of break-in time. I'll see with the replacement unit but for now I am definitely not selling the old Freya until I try the same tube combos in both of them back-to-back.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #1,893 of 3,234
I had the exact same observations about the remote action on my Freya+ during the whole day of using it after it came in two days ago. Next day it malfunctioned altogether, with remote not bringing the volume up all the way -- only the physical knob on the unit. Schiit said it was the motor, so today I sent it back and am waiting for a replacement.

I also felt upon the first day of listening that I might prefer the sound of my original Freya, and that feeling is again confirmed now that I swapped it back into the system. If I tried to qualify it any further, I'd say that the quality of the upped mids and highs was on the more crystaline side, almost too clean, almost thing perhaps. This is all of course subjective but I have pretty decent trained hearing that I make a living with, and this system is incredibly resolving of all detail. The preamp goes balanced straight into Geithain RL901K; the room is tuned and quiet.

It could also be due to the difference in tubes -- the old Freya has a mix of Tung-Sols and NOS. Also lack of break-in time. I'll see with the replacement unit but for now I am definitely not selling the old Freya until I try the same tube combos in both of them back-to-back.

I think important details are being brought up on a number of issues. If Im hearing you correctly your experience is noting sharp edges on the highs.. sorta like that digital edge glare? I had thought I read somewhere just how the volume control is implemented as far as stepped goes. From what I gathered its not like the type of stepped volume where there is a resistor for every 1 or 2 db worth of increment. That would be visible under the hood for one thing. More info on the implementation would be welcome. Isn't there someone at Shiit that comments on here occasionally?

Nov 8, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #1,894 of 3,234
I think there are a number of people who are trading in original Freyas for the Freya+ and this is the first time I have read of any difference in sound using tubes, except that the new ones are quieter. Of course a difference in tubes can be expected to make a difference in sound. So it will be interesting to see the result of the new Freya with the old tubes--and after break-in.

IIRC owners of the original Freyas complained that the dial position did not indicate volume level. Schiit's answer was to motorize the volume control. I fear this creates 3 problems. There is a lag between the remote press and the volume change; there is less precision in obtaining the volume you want using the remote as it seems to overshoot, and; Schiit has introduced a motorized volume control that may be subject to breakdown. It seems to me that the better, and perhaps even cheaper, way to indicate volume level would have been to have a 3 digit lcd do it.

Nov 8, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #1,895 of 3,234
I think there are a number of people who are trading in original Freyas for the Freya+ and this is the first time I have read of any difference in sound using tubes, except that the new ones are quieter. Of course a difference in tubes can be expected to make a difference in sound. So it will be interesting to see the result of the new Freya with the old tubes--and after break-in.

IIRC owners of the original Freyas complained that the dial position did not indicate volume level. Schiit's answer was to motorize the volume control. I fear this creates 3 problems. There is a lag between the remote press and the volume change; there is less precision in obtaining the volume you want using the remote as it seems to overshoot, and; Schiit has introduced a motorized volume control that may be subject to breakdown. It seems to me that the better, and perhaps even cheaper, way to indicate volume level would have been to have a 3 digit lcd do it.
I went from the older Freya to the +, VU meters are an easy add on and I am working on those for mine.

Nov 9, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #1,897 of 3,234
I have built things like this when I need or want VU meters:

IMG_1344.jpg This is just in a test phase and I mounted the VU meters in the front panel later on (they are laying behind the openings I drilled.) I am going to build a box with four such meters and switches so I can monitor several components in my two channel system.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #1,899 of 3,234
I use a Squeezebox Touch for background music streaming and it has a VU setting that's pretty cool. I like VU meters a lot and although I kinda don't care what they indicate (except when recording) I think there should be more of them everywhere.

I use them for different purposes and I change between different amps with various headphones, I like to have an idea on signal level as I plug in.

Nov 16, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #1,900 of 3,234

Is this your experience with this volume control on the new Plus? The delay in operation reminds me of a complaint that was pretty much under the radar concerning Adcom GFP 750 preamp issues with volume control. Delay in response and overshooting the desired level. Back when I was on a mission to obtain this fabled preamp the potential for this issue was never mentioned and took some digging to find out about it and it took asking the seller if his 750 had this issue or not as for all the ones that became available over the couple of year span that I would be looking off and on I dont think I saw it mentioned once. it took asking to find out.

I am on the fence about going for the Plus and not about how good I think it will sound. I think that is a given that sound is likely right up there way above its price point. And possibly I can live without tape monitor in main system - I can just put tape deck in the bedroom system .. A less than accurate remote volume operation though can be annoying especially if I were to replace my current Line 1 which has an excellent remote volume using optical encoder as part of its operational gizmo.

Nov 16, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #1,901 of 3,234
Is this your experience with this volume control on the new Plus? The delay in operation reminds me of a complaint that was pretty much under the radar concerning Adcom GFP 750 preamp issues with volume control. Delay in response and overshooting the desired level. Back when I was on a mission to obtain this fabled preamp the potential for this issue was never mentioned and took some digging to find out about it and it took asking the seller if his 750 had this issue or not as for all the ones that became available over the couple of year span that I would be looking off and on I dont think I saw it mentioned once. it took asking to find out.

I am on the fence about going for the Plus and not about how good I think it will sound. I think that is a given that sound is likely right up there way above its price point. And possibly I can live without tape monitor in main system - I can just put tape deck in the bedroom system .. A less than accurate remote volume operation though can be annoying especially if I were to replace my current Line 1 which has an excellent remote volume using optical encoder as part of its operational gizmo.

Yes, of course; it is my experience and I have to assume it is everyone else's. I think Schiit came up with a bad volume arrangement, especially as they kept using the original remote control. That remote, as I understand it, works better on the original Freya. And, of course, they created a moving part that might cause problems in the future as it is used a lot. These are compromises (design/execution) in an inexpensive product. The sound is worth it to me.

The volume overshoot is much more bothersome to me than the slight delay. The answer seems to be to get a learning remote with spring switches rather than one, like on the Freya, that simply deforms small plastic buttons. As I wrote above, I'm using an old remote that works much better, and will be looking for another.

Nov 16, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #1,902 of 3,234
@Lennym I think what I likely meant to say was that I wanted to hear more of an elaboration on your experience. Ive had to go back and read previous posts to realize you were focusing on your Freya. My memory is as old as me --short term shot.. lol.
I know that type of remote. they are at the bottom of the pecking order no doubt. Perhaps not so bad with a non step volume set up. I would ask for clarification as dont quite get what the difference would be with original Freya --that still had motorized volume.. so wondering why the original remote would work better with that unit and not the Plus?

Nov 17, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #1,903 of 3,234
The original Freya did not have a motorized volume control. You can verify that easily with a look at its innards, pictures of which are easily found on the 'net. If I understand correctly the remote worked directly on the switches, just like my $4500 SS preamp. IMHO Schiit made a mistake changing to a motorized volume control on the Plus version--and with the old remote control.

Someone here suggested that Schiit monitors this thread. Perhaps if they do they would care to comment.

Nov 17, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #1,904 of 3,234
The original Freya did not have a motorized volume control. You can verify that easily with a look at its innards, pictures of which are easily found on the 'net. If I understand correctly the remote worked directly on the switches, just like my $4500 SS preamp. IMHO Schiit made a mistake changing to a motorized volume control on the Plus version--and with the old remote control.

Someone here suggested that Schiit monitors this thread. Perhaps if they do they would care to comment.

thanks for clarification. Normally I would of checked out a pic of interior online.. I think somehow in reading about the remote volume I assumed the original Freya was motorized although spending 5 minutes looking online for interior pic does not really show a good close up pic of interior volume control. Can see a housing attached to the volume control which I assume contains the "stepped" mechanicals and it does appear to not be motorized but not a very good pic. Im more familiar with the bulky type https://khozmo.com/ depending on how many steps. I think I read somwhere on Schiit site that it is not like a typical stepped with a resistor for every step but implements somehow more of a switching function as you mention.
or another https://goldpt.com/compare.html these of course would be way out of line for price point of the Freya. It does seem that going with the original Freya could be advantageous for remote volume function.

ok, refreshed my memory --this stepped--original Freya used thin film resistors which account for the relatively small size of the attenuator overall. microprocessor controlled. for the plus assume they changed it to motorized --still using the thin film method of course . Although I am speculating and I may not be accurate re/the new version and how it is exactly set up (aside from the motor function)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #1,905 of 3,234

I also felt upon the first day of listening that I might prefer the sound of my original Freya, and that feeling is again confirmed now that I swapped it back into the system. If I tried to qualify it any further, I'd say that the quality of the upper mids and highs was on the more crystaline side, almost too clean, almost thin perhaps. This is all of course subjective but I have a pretty decent trained hearing that I make a living with, and this system is incredibly resolving of all detail. The preamp goes balanced straight into Geithain RL901K; the room is tuned and quiet.

Have you received replacement? Very interested in hearing what the repair was and your thoughts on sound quality and what you perceived about the highs and mids. The very nature of tubes would seem to not impart an edgy or crystaline effect on the highs. Although anything is possible with new production tubes I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back