Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Nov 4, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #1,876 of 3,234
Hmm, it`s interesting to read this. I am using JJ 6SN7 in my Lyr3 which I am using it as an preamp for my headphone rig. Overall my JJ sounds very nice and I think better after more than 100+ hours, than right after it arrived. Definitely cleaner, more spacious, better control and overal better sound performance like the original Russian NOS stock. Russian stock tube which came with my Lyr3 is not a bad at all. It is warmer, with less detail, less soundstage and definitely less layered bass. JJ is just better in every way. But, sometimes the Russian is also fun. It depends from the mood and I am happy, that I have that option to choose the sound taste according my actual mood. Now I am waiting for some more tubes (Tung Sol, Electro Harmonix, PsVane).

Why I am writing this, I really am curious, how does the other tubes will sound, because overall I like my JJ 6SN7 so much and also Schiit include them to ship with the Lyr3 and probably with Freya+ as well. If these tubes will be bad, I think, they will definitely not include them into their options.

And the best part about this is, they sounds good, actually very good based on my experience. And these are new production for very friendly price. It means, they are not hard to get, they`re not expensive and you have a much better chance to get good paired tubes, like with some NOS options out there, which are getting more expensive and harder to pair.

I was very disappointed when I saw that my new Freya+ came delivered with JJ tubes. Of course all of this SQ stuff is system dependent. However, a ride around the net, and even around this thread, reveals that the JJs have a reputation for a harsh upper end, and that certainly is my impression. Schiit continues to market the Freya+ showing Tung Sol tubes and promoting reviews that give specific credit to the Tung Sols for the fine sound of the Freya+ in tube mode. Permit this cynic to note that the JJs are cheaper to send along with the preamp than are the Tung Sols. As we teach in corporate finance, cost cutting goes directly to the bottom line. From my point of view, the price of the Freya+ has gone up by the cost of 4 Tung Sols. But I can see where my SQ is going and the purchase is still worthwhile to me.

Nov 4, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #1,877 of 3,234
I was very disappointed when I saw that my new Freya+ came delivered with JJ tubes. Of course all of this SQ stuff is system dependent. However, a ride around the net, and even around this thread, reveals that the JJs have a reputation for a harsh upper end, and that certainly is my impression. Schiit continues to market the Freya+ showing Tung Sol tubes and promoting reviews that give specific credit to the Tung Sols for the fine sound of the Freya+ in tube mode. Permit this cynic to note that the JJs are cheaper to send along with the preamp than are the Tung Sols. As we teach in corporate finance, cost cutting goes directly to the bottom line. From my point of view, the price of the Freya+ has gone up by the cost of 4 Tung Sols. But I can see where my SQ is going and the purchase is still worthwhile to me.
I will get the Tung Sol and Electro Harmonix tubes during upcoming 1-2 days. I will get them some tens of hours before making any judgement, but I am really curious how they will sound. Because I really think that my JJ sounds amazing.

Nov 4, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #1,878 of 3,234
Hmm, it`s interesting to read this. I am using JJ 6SN7 in my Lyr3 which I am using it as an preamp for my headphone rig. Overall my JJ sounds very nice and I think better after more than 100+ hours, than right after it arrived. Definitely cleaner, more spacious, better control and overal better sound performance like the original Russian NOS stock. Russian stock tube which came with my Lyr3 is not a bad at all. It is warmer, with less detail, less soundstage and definitely less layered bass. JJ is just better in every way. But, sometimes the Russian is also fun. It depends from the mood and I am happy, that I have that option to choose the sound taste according my actual mood. Now I am waiting for some more tubes (Tung Sol, Electro Harmonix, PsVane).

Why I am writing this, I really am curious, how does the other tubes will sound, because overall I like my JJ 6SN7 so much and also Schiit include them to ship with the Lyr3 and probably with Freya+ as well. If these tubes will be bad, I think, they will definitely not include them into their options.

And the best part about this is, they sounds good, actually very good based on my experience. And these are new production for very friendly price. It means, they are not hard to get, they`re not expensive and you have a much better chance to get good paired tubes, like with some NOS options out there, which are getting more expensive and harder to pair.

Good to hear that you have had good performance with the JJ. Mine is only one experience based on a short term use and the complaints I have read . Likely being the tube market has gotten more competitive that JJ has improved on quality control. I think Im a bit biased in favor of vintage as well. I did pick up some new production Tung Sols for the LS100 I had briefly and those went with the preamp when I sold it. My issue re/ going for the Freya + is I am using a full featured Sonic Frontiers Line 1 which has more than enough in/outputs w/tape monitor ,,etc. I'm set on 6sn7 based replacement but need to have full featured in order to give up the SF. Ive been very tempted to go for the Freya, I had messaged with Schiit re/adding tape monitor to the unit but thats not happening. FWIW- I 've not heard a preamp as good sounding as a 6sn7 based pre which easily beats out the SF for musicality. At least to my ears.

Nov 4, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #1,879 of 3,234
The most recent Schiit site has JJs listed for the Freya +. Note again that NOS GEs (my current preferred tube) can be found for around the cost of the new Tung Sols...also NOS Sylvania "chrome domes" seem plentiful and that's another great tube at seemingly reasonable prices.

Nov 4, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #1,880 of 3,234
I avoided buying them after my brief use in that integrated vintage Sherwood I had probably a good 10 yrs ago or so. Aside (for now) from the tube preference I do have an interest in how Schiit set up the stepped volume control esp at this price point and am really curious as to what certainly should be an improvement over typical volume pot.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #1,881 of 3,234
The most recent Schiit site has JJs listed for the Freya +. . .
Not in the Product Description; not in the Product Specifications. It is now buried in the FAQ section.
Meanwhile, all the pictures there show the Freya+ with Tung Sol tubes, and most notably the reviews on the site give the Tung Sol tubes major credit for the SQ they praise. That is advertising that no longer applies. There should IMO be a disclaimer in front of these reviews that are on the site. Schiit seems to be a good and well liked company. I think they continue to make a mistake here. I like the preamp and will be looking for tubes to replace the JJs. Quickly.

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #1,882 of 3,234
Not in the Product Description; not in the Product Specifications. It is now buried in the FAQ section.
Meanwhile, all the pictures there show the Freya+ with Tung Sol tubes, and most notably the reviews on the site give the Tung Sol tubes major credit for the SQ they praise. That is advertising that no longer applies. There should IMO be a disclaimer in front of these reviews that are on the site. Schiit seems to be a good and well liked company. I think they continue to make a mistake here. I like the preamp and will be looking for tubes to replace the JJs. Quickly.

Doesn't matter if Tung-Sol or JJ. Current production 6SN7 are average at best. But Schiit needs to offer something if people want a complete product. But they should also offer a tubeless option. Then no complaints. For me, NOS is the way to go.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #1,883 of 3,234
I think they're simply going for what they can use that works and doesn't get sent back for microphonics or hum and is relatively inexpensive for them to buy in bulk...my now utterly collectable "original version" Freya (!) sounds fine with every tube from the original Russian Mystery tubes to Tung Sols and beyond...for me mostly beyond...I imagine they will fix the site to be clearer regarding whatever the stock tubes are, and it's kind of interesting and unprecedented for any manufacturer I know of to swap around tubes as much as they have...part of their charm!

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #1,884 of 3,234
I really thinks, you should give to JJ`s some time before any final judgements. I am not sure if it was because of burning or if it was just my brain psychoacoustics, but I think that my JJ sounds after 100+ hours (probably even more) better than right from the box. Its crystal clear with very well layered bass and definitely much more deep and dynamic (compared to russian NOS) and soundstage is way more expanded. I never heard the soundstage so spacious with my LCD-2C as with JJ tube. I don`t hear any harshness in highs, but I am using Lyr3 as an preamp. If I listen to Lyr3 directly, there is definitely more forwarded mids and it sounds little shouty. As an preamp to my Audio-gd C2 it is just right with huge depth and incredible dynamics. But as I said, I am waiting for Tung Sol, Electro Harmonix and Psvane 6SN7 variants. So if some of them will be better like my JJ, magic awaits me...

Nov 5, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #1,885 of 3,234
...part of their charm!
??? Really, I don't think so.
As I wrote earlier, this is all going to be system dependent and neither @Mondo Caliente nor @malenak knows anything about my system or my music choices. One of them seems not even to have a Freya so I don't understand the advice given about how a Freya might sound. I have been doing this audio thing for a very, very long time and have a reasonable set of expectations re: the responsibility of a manufacturer/advertiser.
I didn't expect to make a Federal case out of this issue, so perhaps we can let it lapse.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #1,886 of 3,234
I think they're simply going for what they can use that works and doesn't get sent back for microphonics or hum and is relatively inexpensive for them to buy in bulk...my now utterly collectable "original version" Freya (!) sounds fine with every tube from the original Russian Mystery tubes to Tung Sols and beyond...for me mostly beyond...I imagine they will fix the site to be clearer regarding whatever the stock tubes are, and it's kind of interesting and unprecedented for any manufacturer I know of to swap around tubes as much as they have...part of their charm!

I spoke to Jason about the tubes and he does like sq and availability of the JJ, I have both the JJ's and the Tung Sols but my go to tube are Melz 1578's in any Freya. I have owned the original and have two Freya + at this time. Using something like a Lyr 3 or even a Vali with adapter, or other single 6sn7 tube amps is a good way to pin down actual differences between tubes before going with pairs in the Freya but that is must my opinion. A pair of CBS/Hytron's 5692's in the Freya are quite nice as well IMHO.

They are shown in this video, and there are other videos out there demoing other tubes in the Freya.

Nov 5, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #1,887 of 3,234
I really thinks, you should give to JJ`s some time before any final judgements. I am not sure if it was because of burning or if it was just my brain psychoacoustics, but I think that my JJ sounds after 100+ hours (probably even more) better than right from the box. Its crystal clear with very well layered bass and definitely much more deep and dynamic (compared to russian NOS) and soundstage is way more expanded. I never heard the soundstage so spacious with my LCD-2C as with JJ tube. I don`t hear any harshness in highs, but I am using Lyr3 as an preamp. If I listen to Lyr3 directly, there is definitely more forwarded mids and it sounds little shouty. As an preamp to my Audio-gd C2 it is just right with huge depth and incredible dynamics. But as I said, I am waiting for Tung Sol, Electro Harmonix and Psvane 6SN7 variants. So if some of them will be better like my JJ, magic awaits me...

I just swapped JJ8s into the right side pair of the Freya+, with Tung Sols in the left side. It's still early days, but I'm liking them so far. They seem just a little lighter in bass than the Tung Sols.

Nov 5, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,888 of 3,234
Swapping the tubes on the right will have the greatest effect. In order to conserve the life of some of the more expensive tubes I will run all kinds of different pairs on the left and it is unusual for me to tell a difference. The Melz are just not your normal 6sn7 equivalent, there are many tubes that sound similar in blind tests to me, except for that one.

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #1,889 of 3,234
I find the remote and control of the volume to be a problem on the Freya+. My last preamp also had relay switched volume so I am accustomed to the clicking. However, it did not work through the volume control knob, so it was much quicker. Also, the buttons on that remote were physical ones, not the deforming plastic ones. I could actually do one click at a time then, though each click there meant more than a Schiit click. Bottom line is that it is much harder to control the volume on the Freya+ with precision. I was doing a lot of back and forth. Schiit recommended that I try a Harmony learning remote, which I did. I had an old one around. But they also deform plastic under the button and send out a much stronger signal, so it was far worse. Best thing so far is an old MX-500 learning remote that has clean button switches, or at least feels that way. That's what I'm using now and with far better control than the Schiit remote. But it's bulky, and I'll be looking for something smaller that works as well. Any success out there with anything else?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #1,890 of 3,234
My Freya "Classic" has never had any remote issues and I am now going to run over there and see how many clicks I get when adjusting the level...note that I often don't hear the clicks since I generally adjust the level when listening to something...wait here...I'll be right back...OK...I easily can get one click per remote stab...one. Also when keeping the remote button depressed it doesn't click too rapidly really, which is good. Maybe things changed with the "+"...I might never know unless I buy a "+" which is unlikely. The only issue I've had that's remote related is more of a "user error" and when it happens, albeit rarely, it's kind of funny...it's when I forget that I've set the mode to one of the "non tube" settings, and then hit the tube button where the level goes way up...only a 12wpc tube amp luckily (99db Klisch Heresy III speakers) so no harm done, but I scared my lovely wife once with that...took some 'splainin'. I ordered an Aegir so diligence will be required in the future (couple weeks backordered Aegir...they said they're waiting for parts which seems like a necessary thing...gotta have parts...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back