Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 3, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #2,371 of 2,799
I owned both the 4490 and multibit versions of the Bifrost doing direct comparisons with my Valhalla 2 and HD650 combo.

A beautiful pairing with the hd650.

I quite agree. I went from Bifrost Uber-Valhalla-HD650 to Bifrost Multibit-Valhalla-HD650 and I really like the multibit combo. Very natural, musical and non-fatiguing.

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #2,372 of 2,799
Oct 4, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #2,373 of 2,799
In case anyone's interested, here's my comparison having owned the Bimby & Mimby multibit DACs, as well as the Gustard X12 and Modi 1 DS DACs - giving the smaller, lower priced Mimby an edge for several reasons

... both DACs have their own advantages in fact (also noted in my original impressions, linked above)

Oct 15, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #2,374 of 2,799
Hi everyone,

I have a usb 1.0 cable (I think) because it is white color inside and I got it for free. Will I get sound improvment with usb 2.0 cable? thanks for any info.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #2,375 of 2,799
  Hi everyone,

I have a usb 1.0 cable (I think) because it is white color inside and I got it for free. Will I get sound improvment with usb 2.0 cable? thanks for any info.

I haven't seen a USB 1 cable in years so I'd wonder what it really was. Does it work properly, delivering at the data rates without glitches? If it works properly, then the old saying,  "If the shoe fits, wear it" just might fit the situation.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #2,376 of 2,799

I haven't seen a USB 1 cable in years so I'd wonder what it really was. Does it work properly, delivering at the data rates without glitches? If it works properly, then the old saying,  "If the shoe fits, wear it" just might fit the situation.

yes it seems fine, will still try a usb 2.0 cable just to be sure I did not know they were cheap! Just $5 :)

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #2,378 of 2,799
When I was first looking up DACs schiit just kept coming up. I went with jds labs in the end but I may just need to give schiit a listen... especially at that price

As an owner of alot of Schiit I definitely think you should...

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #2,380 of 2,799
Which model do you recommend?

I have the Bimby and am very pleased, but for less money many say the performance of Mimby is very similar.  I prefer the Multibit to the Delta Sigma but that only a personal preference some feel otherwise.

Oct 19, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #2,382 of 2,799
  If Mike can fit a balanced DAC into Jotunheim, why can't he fit balanced into Bimby?

​They Did. Its Called Gungnir...

I would suspect that they kept the Bimby SE to hit a particular price point. Also if you look at the Gungnir DAC board and The Bimby Dac Board on Schiits website the Balanced Board on the Gungnir it is Huge in comparison. If memory serves right the MB board for the Bifrost MB did not have enough room for a fully discrete output. (please correct me if I am wrong).  From what I have read the Jotunheim Dac is decent for what it is but it not a Bimby Level Dac and not even at Mimby level.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #2,384 of 2,799
  If Mike can fit a balanced DAC into Jotunheim, why can't he fit balanced into Bimby?

There is a huge difference between balanced DS and balanced multibit in terms of square centimeters of circuit board space.  The DS Bifrosts are all Balanced summed back into single ended designs anyway.  Most, if not all pieces of DS silicon have balanced outputs.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 22, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #2,385 of 2,799
Has anyone considered saving up for the 2xpriced gumby instead?
Any thoughts on this??
Or if you dont need balanced outs stick with bimby? Or skip mb and go with $400 bifrost? Trying to decide. Any input would be great.
I currently running a modi into a vintage marantz with tekton speakers. I noticed the gumby is out of stock....could there be a possible upgrade in its future??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back