Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Jul 19, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #2,236 of 2,799

MB ruins other sources for you. Returned the Red after a few weeks - disappointing when compared directly.

Is there anything I can run off my iPhone that will come close? How do Yggy owners deal?

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #2,237 of 2,799
I put in an order for a bifrost multi bit today.
Looking forward to getting it home and use it.
Payed extra for fed-ex international priority shipping.

This will hopefully be a big upgrade from my modi 2 :D

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #2,238 of 2,799
I put in an order for a bifrost multi bit today.
Looking forward to getting it home and use it.
Payed extra for fed-ex international priority shipping.

This will hopefully be a big upgrade from my modi 2 :D

Are you still running the Phillips X2 and will you still be using the Magni? The differences were obvious with the Polaris and the HE-500. They weren't as noticeable with the HD650 or my other headphones. Part of that is probably just that I've been running the HE-500 for so long that any change in sound is immediately noticeable. Please report on what you hear when you get the Bifrost MB.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #2,239 of 2,799
Is there anything I can run off my iPhone that will come close? How do Yggy owners deal?

The red wasn't bad per se. If you spend a lot of time on the go it may be your best choice. For infrequent use I would argue that the iPhone itself isn't that bad.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #2,241 of 2,799
  The biggest problem with the Bifrost MB is that it's hard to go back to listening to anything portable now. I have a great pair of PM-3 and I've thought about investing in a Dragonfly Red or an Oppo HA-2, but I just think it'll be $200-$300 simply to drive me back to my iMac->Bifrost MB->HE-500.

How portable?  The LH Lab V2 has gotten exemplary reviews over on the other website, despite its having a Sabre DAC chip.  I've got a V2+ sig.ed. still on order right now.  I'm also an early adopter on CEntrance's new DACportable (ltd.ed.) that was crowdfunded this year.   Their M8 was a superior transportable DAC/amp, so I'm optimistic.  

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #2,242 of 2,799
The biggest problem with the Bifrost MB is that it's hard to go back to listening to anything portable now. I have a great pair of PM-3 and I've thought about investing in a Dragonfly Red or an Oppo HA-2, but I just think it'll be $200-$300 simply to drive me back to my iMac->Bifrost MB->HE-500.

Chord Mojo IMO. It's on par with Multbit on some areas IMO

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #2,243 of 2,799

The biggest problem with the Bifrost MB is that it's hard to go back to listening to anything portable now.

Chord Mojo IMO. It's on par with Multbit on some areas IMO

This. Here's what Yggy owners think of it:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/804153/life-after-yggdrasil
http://www.head-fi.org/t/804153/life-after-yggdrasil/315#post_12706590
Originally Posted by Torq /img/forum/go_quote.gif Mojo (!)

Not a comparison to Yggdrasil, just an unreserved recommendation for what, so far, is an absolutely fabulous little DAC. That it is tiny, portable, and works beautifully without an amp is just icing on the cake.

At anything close to its price point, and in several cases well beyond that, I think this is the best DAC available.  I would take this over several of the more expensive units in my evaluation so far; you’ll have to read the specific notes to see which – I’ll include the (!) indicator where this is the case (though it will be used for other things too).

For someone who has Yggdrasil, has heard DAVE, and a ton of other ludicrously expensive DAC solutions to reach out for "fabulous" when describing the Mojo must be indicative of... something... :)

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #2,244 of 2,799
Waiting for something good is hard.
Got the shipping confirmation today.
Now i pray to odin that the package arrives next week.
And i have started saving up for the next upgrade.
Schiit for life!

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #2,245 of 2,799
Waiting for something good is hard.
Got the shipping confirmation today.
Now i pray to odin that the package arrives next week.
And i have started saving up for the next upgrade.
Schiit for life!

Don't pray to Odin, he's an evil sumbitch. (According to my WiP novel about the Jotun, that is).

Jul 22, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #2,246 of 2,799
  Impressions after about 50hrs:

Bifrost MB compared to the ConceroHD, both running USB from the same rig (Lenovo Desktop PC -> Pangea PC USB cable -> iFi iUSB2.0 -> iFi Gemini USB cable -> DAC -> Audioquest Red River RCA interconnects -> Burson Soloist -> Audeze LCD-XC with stock cable.  Listening is 44.1/16 and 24 as well as some 88.2/24.  Many tracks were on Tidal in CD quality.

Bifrost Pros vs ConceroHD
There is more detail
More realistic timbre across the board, less hashy/fuzzy sounding
Better stereo image placement and wider
More ambience

ConceroHD Pros vs Bifrost
Quieter background
More bass (not sure how to quantify it yet)
Can particularly make female vocals sound up close and realistic
Less "gritty/grainy/forward" than Bifrost MB, but in exchange for "fuzziness/softness"  (The Bifrost MB might need more break-in in this regard.)

*I also tried running the ConceroHD as a "USB to SPDIF" converter, but I found the sound to be not as good.  I was also using a cheap interconnect, but it seemed that the ConceroHD has more noise on the SPDIF output than the analog outs.  Even without playing a signal, just attaching the RCA coax between the ConceroHD and the Brifrost MB caused a hissing sound if I rolled the volume up on the Soloist (a test I always do for noise...the Soloist is very quiet).

Listened to the Bifrost MB for months now.  Went back to the ConceroHD, same rig otherwise, and I have to say, the ConceroHD now seems to be the better sound.  Isn't that crazy?  It seems more refined, now in focus.  Maybe the "gritty/grainy/forward"ness of the Bifrost MB made it "seem" more detailed initially, but after switching back, the ConceroHD seems more detailed and with more ambience.  And I by no means want to over-exaggerate the negative aspects of the Bifrost MB, it sounds good.  But in the end, I prefer the ConceroHD, especially considering they are both in the $600 range.

Just thought I'd pass along my $.02.

Sean

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #2,247 of 2,799
^ That's good to know. In the end it's how all the parts fit together I guess.

Have you tried any of your other phones than the XC when comparing the two DACs?

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #2,248 of 2,799
  Listened to the Bifrost MB for months now.  Went back to the ConceroHD, same rig otherwise, and I have to say, the ConceroHD now seems to be the better sound.  Isn't that crazy?  It seems more refined, now in focus.  Maybe the "gritty/grainy/forward"ness of the Bifrost MB made it "seem" more detailed initially, but after switching back, the ConceroHD seems more detailed and with more ambiance.  And I by no means want to over-exaggerate the negative aspects of the Bifrost MB, it sounds good.  But in the end, I prefer the ConceroHD, especially considering they are both in the $600 range.

Just thought I'd pass along my $.02.

Sean

Certainly my Bifrost Multibit with Schiit Asgard 2 is not forward, grainy nor gritty at all. In fact, it sounded warm, expansive and holographic than any other DACs that I paired with Asgard 2. My Yamaha HS7 speakers which are known to be harsh and bright never sounded that way when fed with Bifrost Multibit and Asgard 2 as my preamp. 

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #2,249 of 2,799

Certainly my Bifrost Multibit with Schiit Asgard 2 is not forward, grainy nor gritty at all. In fact, it sounded warm, expansive and holographic than any other DACs that I paired with Asgard 2. My Yamaha HS7 speakers which are known to be harsh and bright never sounded that way when fed with Bifrost Multibit and Asgard 2 as my preamp. 

Exactly my experience. With a good digital source, Bimby>Asgard 2 sound neither overly smooth nor grainy but just right in reproducing voices and instruments realistically. 

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #2,250 of 2,799

Etch can sound like better detail, but in my experience the Bifrost MB added 'shape' to individual sounds where they weren't there before. To be fair, I did make a rather large jump up in DACs. I don't have experience with other DACs in the price range. My biggest shock was how much of a difference it actually made though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back