Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Jul 6, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #2,206 of 2,799
Guys -  I was simply answering the question. Does Wyrd work - yes:

• So does my Gustard U12.
  • So does my Peachtree X1.
  • So does my Regen.
  • So does the optical output straight from my laptop. I have my reservations only regarding my Jitterbug.

So many responses! Thanks guys. I ordered a Wyrd and a PS Audio power conditioner!

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #2,210 of 2,799
Does anyone have both mojo and BF multibit?
really want a desktop only no battery solution. battery does not suit my needs

I have both and I would say they are very comparable in sound quality. They are both slightly warm sounding with a nice smooth sound which is really addictive. They have the same input options but the Bifrost has 1 less output if that is a problem. Anything you wanted to know specifically?

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #2,211 of 2,799
I have both and I would say they are very comparable in sound quality. They are both slightly warm sounding with a nice smooth sound which is really addictive. They have the same input options but the Bifrost has 1 less output if that is a problem. Anything you wanted to know specifically?

If mojo had a 5V DC barrel, it would be my #1 all in one device. No questions asked.

The 1 less input on Bifrost, not a problem at all for me.

How does it treat mp3s though? MP3 which sounded fine on DAPs or Modi 2 sounded like a** on Mojo, so I'm worried about that happening with BF MB.

Thanks for your help bro.

Jul 7, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #2,212 of 2,799
If mojo had a 5V DC barrel, it would be my #1 all in one device. No questions asked.

The 1 less input on Bifrost, not a problem at all for me.

How does it treat mp3s though? MP3 which sounded fine on DAPs or Modi 2 sounded like a** on Mojo, so I'm worried about that happening with BF MB.

Thanks for your help bro.

I can't say I notice a real problem with MP3s (probably because I very rarely use them) but if a song is mastered poorly it sounds rubbish on both my Mojo and Bifrost. What's the saying... Rubbish in rubbish out?

If I was to guess why it sounds okay on your DAP it would be because it is not as resolving. Unfortunately on poorly mastered songs or heavily compressed songs the top range tends to get horribly clipped. The side effect of this is on devices that can accurately reproduce this range you can really clearly hear the clipping and it is disgusting. :frowning2:

Jul 7, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #2,213 of 2,799

Good quality high bitrate MP3s (245-ish VBR is fine for me) sound great on the Bimby. Whether I'm listening to MP3 or lossless formats, I notice the same improvements in smooth / natural / resolving qualities on the Bimby as compared to the onboard DAC on my PC or phone. No matter what it's playing, the Bimby sounds better to me.

Edit:

I absolutely agree with @Rowethren that the Bimby isn't very forgiving on poorly mastered recordings.

Jul 7, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #2,214 of 2,799

Good quality high bitrate MP3s (245-ish VBR is fine for me) sound great on the Bimby. Whether I'm listening to MP3 or lossless formats, I notice the same improvements in smooth / natural / resolving qualities on the Bimby as compared to the onboard DAC on my PC or phone. No matter what it's playing, the Bimby sounds better to me.

Edit:

I absolutely agree with @Rowethren that the Bimby isn't very forgiving on poorly mastered recordings.

WHile I love the heck out of my bit perfect playbakc

half my library is s*** quality cassette tape rips
and 128kbps mp3s that will never get released in any other manner.

So it is somewhat important my DAC is somet degree of forgiving.

the mojo was a little too hash on taking the fun out of low bitrate MP#.

iDSD was okay with it.

Jul 7, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #2,215 of 2,799
My question is whether the delta-sigma Gungnir would ever be recommended above the bimby. It's $250 more; does DS balanced outperform multibit single ended to the tune of $250?

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #2,216 of 2,799
  half my library is s*** quality cassette tape rips
and 128kbps mp3s that will never get released in any other manner.

If you're dealing with 128 kbps, I don't the DAC becomes much of a factor. There's way too much sonic content discarded there, so probably something entry level (like Fulla or Modi 2) should suffice.

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #2,217 of 2,799
  My question is whether the delta-sigma Gungnir would ever be recommended above the bimby. It's $250 more; does DS balanced outperform multibit single ended to the tune of $250?

I'd be interested in hearing about this too. I'm not one to focus on super minute differences, I just want to enjoy my music, however I've seen the multibit Bifrost be recommended over the regular DS Gungnir as well as vice versa. Lots of mixed opinions on this.

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #2,218 of 2,799
I can confirm that it cleaned up the signal from my PC and eliminated an annoying hum that the poor quality power supply in the Dell was causing.

Any experience with helping with Mac USB out? I've been blown away by how BIMBY affected my system, but my HE-500 still sounds a little analytical and 'dry' compared to more 'fun' headphone like the X2s I got my girlfriend. With the X2, the treble is grainier but they are more engaging headphones. I'm running 2011 iMac -> BIMBY -> Polaris - HE-500.

I'm looking at the ZMF Omni, but it's a little out of my price range right now.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #2,219 of 2,799
Any experience with helping with Mac USB out? I've been blown away by how BIMBY affected my system, but my HE-500 still sounds a little analytical and 'dry' compared to more 'fun' headphone like the X2s I got my girlfriend. With the X2, the treble is grainier but they are more engaging headphones. I'm running 2011 iMac -> BIMBY -> Polaris - HE-500.

I'm looking at the ZMF Omni, but it's a little out of my price range right now.

I used to feed my Bimby via USB with a dedicated Linux-based streamer (SOtM sMS-100). I then added a Bel Canto mLink USB>coax converter/reclocker with a good coax cable (Nordost Blue Heaven) and got some improvement, especially in the upper midrange and attack/decay. Since then, I replaced the sMS-100 by the much fancier microRendu, and the Bel Canto doesn't make much difference any longer (see my sig if interested...). 

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #2,220 of 2,799
Seems like I'm late to the party! Apologies if this has been answered before.

Has anyone tried both the regular Bifrost and the new Bifrost Multibit? If so, how does the sound vary in your opinion? Is the sound on the multibit better, better enough to justify the increase in price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back