Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Apr 3, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #1,996 of 2,799
just stopping by to say this thing is indeed still awesomeness

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #1,997 of 2,799
   Today I play music through USB input to Bifrost Multibit DAC as usual. However, I suddenly noticed some high frequency noise("zicizici" or distortion?) when play some parts in some songs. I don't know what's wrong. So I tried the same song using my onborad dac inside my laptop to play, there is nothing wrong with the song. So I am sure it has to do with the Bifrost Multibit. I haven't heard any noise like it before.  

I then tried to use different USB port, use ASIO mode and WASAPI (event/push) mode, or change the output sample rate. There problem was still not solved. 

Has anyone experienced it before?

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #1,998 of 2,799
     Today I play music through USB input to Bifrost Multibit DAC as usual. However, I suddenly noticed some high frequency noise("zicizici" or distortion?) when play some parts in some songs. I don't know what's wrong. So I tried the same song using my onborad dac inside my laptop to play, there is nothing wrong with the song. So I am sure it has to do with the Bifrost Multibit. I haven't heard any noise like it before.  

I then tried to use different USB port, use ASIO mode and WASAPI (event/push) mode, or change the output sample rate. There problem was still not solved. 

maybe a usb decrapifier like the schiit wyrd would help. hard to say though. I haven't noticed this myself yet, but i have been stuck using my basic tower speakers instead of my headphones cuz the cable is too short.

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #1,999 of 2,799

Try power cycling the DAC, make sure the initialization takes about 30 seconds (not <10). It should help. You can also send it to Schiit for a firmware update.

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #2,000 of 2,799

If practical try using a toslink or coaxial connection to see if the problem persists.  If so, notify Schiit.

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #2,001 of 2,799
Finally got my Bifrost back from Schiit today, and after having it sit on all day while I was working, the sound is great. Definitely worth the upgrade and wait ^^... next is a cable upgrade.

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #2,004 of 2,799
Holy crap. Got my Bifrost Multibit back today after upgrading from Uber. Pretty drastic difference if you ask me. Far better detail retrieval and impact because things seem to decay even faster somehow, incredibly precise and absolutely perfect for technical death metal that I often listen to. Can't wait to go home and plug it into my speakers to get that big soundstage effect. The LCD-2 soundstage may have gotten a bit bigger, but it's pretty tiny to start with, so it's hard for me to tell.

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #2,005 of 2,799
  Holy crap. Got my Bifrost Multibit back today after upgrading from Uber. Pretty drastic difference if you ask me. Far better detail retrieval and impact because things seem to decay even faster somehow, incredibly precise and absolutely perfect for technical death metal that I often listen to. Can't wait to go home and plug it into my speakers to get that big soundstage effect. The LCD-2 soundstage may have gotten a bit bigger, but it's pretty tiny to start with, so it's hard for me to tell.

Now I'm juiced... I just took my Bifrost Uber to UPS today!

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #2,006 of 2,799
I got my Bifrost Multibit back from it's upgrade yesterday. Plugged it into my Lyr2 with TH900's. Was not impressed. The TH900's had a blobby bass and not much else. Usually things sound pretty majestic.  HD800's thin and tiny soundstage. So I'm like, Wow! probably needs to warm up. So left the Mac playing music into the hd800's for two hours. I listened for a while. Hmmm better. Had Dinner and let Bimby playing more music. Now after fours hours things were sounding better. So I was able to sit with it for two hours after all that.
It's pretty amazing. Did Schiit tune the Bifrost Multibit with a set of HD800's? Big soundstage, wonderful bass, no piercing treble. Another Wow. So I need to get 200 hours on this and see what it can really do. And my TH900's sound just like Thor's Hammer. Schiit had my Bifrost back in less than a week. I would certainly do it again. Just let it warm up.

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #2,007 of 2,799
  I got my Bifrost Multibit back from it's upgrade yesterday. Plugged it into my Lyr2 with TH900's. Was not impressed. The TH900's had a blobby bass and not much else. Usually things sound pretty majestic.  HD800's thin and tiny soundstage. So I'm like, Wow! probably needs to warm up. So left the Mac playing music into the hd800's for two hours. I listened for a while. Hmmm better. Had Dinner and let Bimby playing more music. Now after fours hours things were sounding better. So I was able to sit with it for two hours after all that.
It's pretty amazing. Did Schiit tune the Bifrost Multibit with a set of HD800's? Big soundstage, wonderful bass, no piercing treble. Another Wow. So I need to get 200 hours on this and see what it can really do. And my TH900's sound just like Thor's Hammer. Schiit had my Bifrost back in less than a week. I would certainly do it again. Just let it warm up.

Welcome to the nature of R2R "Multibit" DACs. The Multibit design is a lot more sensitive to temperature changes than delta sigma. That's why you leave any multibit DAC completely on 24/7. Wait after 3 days of continuous powered on state, and you'll hear the true extent of Bifrost Multibit's sound signature.

BTW, Schiit multibit DACs are known to have non-piercing yet extremely detailed and extended treble once fully warmed up / broken in.

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #2,008 of 2,799
Welcome to the nature of R2R "Multibit" DACs. The Multibit design is a lot more sensitive to temperature changes than delta sigma. That's why you leave any multibit DAC completely on 24/7. Wait after 3 days of continuous powered on state, and you'll hear the true extent of Bifrost Multibit's sound signature.

BTW, Schiit multibit DACs are known to have non-piercing yet extremely detailed and extended treble once fully warmed up / broken in.
Thank you! Yes, it will be up running all weekend with music playing. And then...I have a Liquid Carbon. Shouldn't be a total loss :)

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #2,009 of 2,799
Just got my Bimby upgrade back this evening and *HOLY SCHIIT* I am really enjoying it so far!

Granted, I did let it warm up for a couple of hours before I had a chance to listen to it (had to wait for my son to go to bed), so I'm not sure whether there was an improvement within that time frame as many have mentioned, but *wow* I am very happy at this point already. If it is going to get better than this, I am a lucky man.

I upgraded from the 4490 -- which I actually also liked very much -- so in comparison to that, the first few differences I've noticed right away are:

• For lack of a better description, everything just seems to sound more "live". I'm not sure what it is, but maybe something about the reverb just seems more natural than the 4490 does to me. Whereas the 4490 is kind of more "expansive" like being in a huge cloud of sound, the Bimby seems to reproduce the sound in such a way that I can perceive the room more. Orchestral stuff sounds more like I'm at a symphony venue, whereas good studio albums sound more like I'm in the studio.
  • The Bimby has less "sheen" on things like brass instruments, high pitched percussion, vibes, and sharp vocals like screams, etc. Although I found the 4490 to be very smooth and non-fatiguing as well, the Bimby definitely seems to sweeten things even a little more.
  • The output levels of the Bimby seem slightly lower than the 4490, presumably due to the different analog stage. Not a big deal either way, and it's pretty close...just an observation that I noticed I turned the volume on my amp up just a teeny bit more to achieve the same levels I'm used to.  (Just past 1/4 turn on my Asgard 2 is about right for me on most recordings on the Bimby. The 4490 was loud enough at 1/4.)

I just listened to Purple Rain for the first time in a long time in honor of Prince (sorry Mike, I guess that's pretty "poppy"...), and it absolutely knocked my socks off. Great emotion and tons of detail.

Interestingly, I am actually finding so far that the Bimby has made me appreciate some older recordings that I thought weren't particularly well produced in the past, so I'm now realizing that maybe it was actually the crappy DACs of that era that made me think that! It is true that there is lots of data on those old Redbook CDs.

Finally, I would also like to add that the upgrade process was super smooth and painless, with great service from Schiit.  Thanks, guys! :)

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #2,010 of 2,799
Interestingly, I am actually finding so far that the Bimby has made me appreciate some older recordings that I thought weren't particularly well produced in the past, so I'm now realizing that maybe it was actually the crappy DACs of that era that made me think that! It is true that there is lots of data on those old Redbook CDs.

I've actually started buying CDs again since Bimby arrived, looking for originals where possible as many "remasters" have been crushed mercilessly (and are often the ones used for HD downloads
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back