Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Mar 24, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #1,981 of 2,799
  Folks, it's not "burn-in."  That was done at Schiit.  It's allowing the R2R DACs to reach thermal equilibrium, and it's why you should just leave them turned on all the time.

sometimes you just gotta let the kid ride the bike, he'll find out about the training wheels soon enough

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #1,982 of 2,799
 Wow, What a burn in trip. The DAC didn't sound that bad when I first fired it up. I was determined not to listen for at least an hour. Two minutes later I had the headphones on. Not bad. A little coarse, the highs were rough. Couple of hours later it started sounding a lot better; after 6 hours it was so bad I couldn't listen anymore..total pain. A lot better this morning after running all night and buy this afternoon it started getting really SWEET. Gee, maybe a keeper after all. Well nothing to do, so I just ordered a pair of Ether C's. These HD600 are getting long in the tooth.   In for a thousand in for 3 . Now this is it NO MORE!!! Well....until the next time Dan gets creative.

I stack the Bifrost Multibit with Asgard 2 on top (or any Class A amplifier). Both are ON 24/7 and the Asgard 2 helps keep Bifrost Multibit at the thermal equilibrium giving me "analog" like sound all the time! Bifrost MB at its peak performance sounds so warm yet extremely detailed with exceptional 3D imaging.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #1,983 of 2,799

sometimes you just gotta let the kid ride the bike, he'll find out about the training wheels soon enough

i must have gone through the same thing cause the bimby sounded quite different first turned on than it did a day later. it's been on ever since and that;'s some months now and it's sounded amazing. a bit warm but so detailed.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #1,984 of 2,799
  i must have gone through the same thing cause the bimby sounded quite different first turned on than it did a day later. it's been on ever since and that;'s some months now and it's sounded amazing. a bit warm but so detailed.

That's a pretty good way to simplify the Bimby: "Warm but detailed"

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #1,985 of 2,799

My "problem" with this stack fed by a pretty nice digital source (SOtM sMS-100 UPnP/DLNA renderer + Teddy Pardo PS > Bel Canto mLink > Nordost Blue Haven S/PDIF coax) and feeding MrSpeakers Alpha Primes with DUM cables is that it makes me want to move rather than focus on my work :wink: Instrument and voice placement and coherence of the whole, precision of attack, never cease to delight.

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #1,986 of 2,799

It's the short n sweet version of the review :) 'warm but very detailed'. maybe we could add another six words 'with expansive soundstage and instrument separation'

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #1,987 of 2,799
  It's the short n sweet version of the review :) 'warm but very detailed'. maybe we could add another six words 'with expansive soundstage and instrument separation'

the instrument separation threw me for a loop at first, just wasn't used to hearing my music like that. wasn't even sure i liked it. part of it was not being used to using headphones period, it's been about a year since my last pair broke :/ but i'm on board now

Mar 27, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #1,988 of 2,799
the instrument separation threw me for a loop at first, just wasn't used to hearing my music like that. wasn't even sure i liked it. part of it was not being used to using headphones period, it's been about a year since my last pair broke :/ but i'm on board now

Yeah. Separation and what I can only call 'shape' are eerie.

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #1,989 of 2,799
Yeah. Separation and what I can only call 'shape' are eerie.

No kidding. I reported a while ago on listening to Cécile McLorin Salvant's recent album "For One to Love," which I think is exceptionally well recorded. Whenever I listen to it again, the way the voice and instruments interact throughout the soundstage is mesmerizing.

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #1,990 of 2,799
No kidding. I reported a while ago on listening to Cécile McLorin Salvant's recent album "For One to Love," which I think is exceptionally well recorded. Whenever I listen to it again, the way the voice and instruments interact throughout the soundstage is mesmerizing.

I agree. Great album and recording!

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #1,991 of 2,799
At the rate I'm moving in the queue (31-22 in a week) it seems like it's going to be at least another two weeks before I send my Bifrost in. The hype is real though, I hope it's worth the upgrade.

Mar 28, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #1,992 of 2,799
  At the rate I'm moving in the queue (31-22 in a week) it seems like it's going to be at least another two weeks before I send my Bifrost in. The hype is real though, I hope it's worth the upgrade.

You will never look back.

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #1,993 of 2,799
I just posted this on CAForums, thought I would copy here:

"Well like many have said it sounds lousy for a long time...give it a while before judgment! But it starts with promising sparkle and dynamics. Mine's been going over a month straight and it's just killer. It sounds like great tube gear: a tad noisier than fancy DS circuits but rounder bass, spotlit yet liquid highs, and perfect imaging. Really, just like a top-gear tube preamp. You'll love it!
Mine's going to a music-loving relative. Why? Because my system's optimized for balanced use, and I wanna hear the Gumby and Yggy now."

Apr 2, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #1,994 of 2,799
When I thought I had sussed out the Bimby, I get another delightful surprise. This time, listening to Leonard Cohen's "Popular Problems." I knew it was well recorded from the last time I listened to it, on an older but solid speaker system (Naim UnitiQute > KEF LS50s), but listening to it now on my headphone system (see gear list below), I'm stunned by the spaciousness that reminds me of when I heard him live at the Paramount Theater in Oakland, CA, but also how clearly his raspy, growling bass comes through with all that knowing world-weariness. The way this $600 DAC helps the whole chain do justice to good recordings is unreal. Well, done, Schiit!

(Synology NAS+Minimserver>SOtM sMS-100+Teddy Pardo PS>Bel Canto mLink>Bifrost Multibit>Asgard 2>Alpha Primes)

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #1,995 of 2,799
  When I thought I had sussed out the Bimby, I get another delightful surprise. This time, listening to Leonard Cohen's "Popular Problems." I knew it was well recorded from the last time I listened to it, on an older but solid speaker system (Naim UnitiQute > KEF LS50s), but listening to it now on my headphone system (see gear list below), I'm stunned by the spaciousness that reminds me of when I heard him live at the Paramount Theater in Oakland, CA, but also how clearly his raspy, growling bass comes through with all that knowing world-weariness. The way this $600 DAC helps the whole chain do justice to good recordings is unreal. Well, done, Schiit!

(Synology NAS+Minimserver>SOtM sMS-100+Teddy Pardo PS>Bel Canto mLink>Bifrost Multibit>Asgard 2>Alpha Primes)

Could not agree more.  Everything's a new adventure.  Real timbre and real space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back