Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Feb 24, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #1,952 of 2,799
How does the Bimby compare to Gustard's X12?

I haven't heard the X12, but I think a lot of this thread is somebody asking about another DAC in the Bimby's price range and a Bimby owner going "no, Bimby is better". I really think it has no competition in quality at $600, especially not multibit. But that's just my opinion. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #1,953 of 2,799
I am leaning toward Bimby and thinking to order it after I receive the Gustard H10 amp from Massdrop (about to join the drop soon).
My current dac is based on Sabre ES9018K2M and I like it but want to try the Bimby as many are saying it had different sound signature and other goodies.
Massdrop has the X12 which will expire in few hours so I was seeking for opinions. What is holding me back from ordering the X12 because it's based on Sabre SE9018 as well so overall sound signature could be close to my current dac to some extent.

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #1,954 of 2,799
I am leaning toward Bimby and thinking to order it after I receive the Gustard H10 amp from Massdrop (about to join the drop soon).
My current dac is based on Sabre ES9018K2M and I like it but want to try the Bimby as many are saying it had different sound signature and other goodies.
Massdrop has the X12 which will expire in few hours so I was seeking for opinions. What is holding me back from ordering the X12 because it's based on Sabre SE9018 as well so overall sound signature could be close to my current dac to some extent.

what did you end up going with?

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #1,955 of 2,799
what did you end up going with?

Didn't order any dac yet. Just joined the drop for H10 and once I get shipping confirmation, a month or less from today, then I will outer the Bimby, if I don't like it will return it and get the zfac, which also has 30 days return policy for full refund excluding the returning shipping cost.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #1,958 of 2,799
Well folks, I have just ordered the Bifrost MultiBit!!! I plan on pairing it with my Liquid Carbon. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like as it will be my main Dac for the foreseeable future since the Mrs. was not to keen on me spending more $ on my headphone Schiit:wink:

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #1,959 of 2,799
Well folks, I have just ordered the Bifrost MultiBit!!! I plan on pairing it with my Liquid Carbon. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like as it will be my main Dac for the foreseeable future since the Mrs. was not to keen on me spending more $ on my headphone Schiit:wink:

Congrats! I think you'll love it. I don't have much to compare mine to, but I think it sounds fantastic.

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #1,960 of 2,799
A friend who has a Modi 2 Uber and I traded for a few days, just to see the difference. I have the Bimby.  When I went from Bimby to Modi the most apparent difference was sound stage depth and imaging accuracy both both being reduced. The Modi also felt a little hollow. I just got my Bimby back.  The diff is really pretty big. I suppose the best way to describe it is by thinking of a mountain range. The Modi let's you hear the peaks. The peaks are sharp and detailed. They are very nice peaks. The Bimby, gives you the range; the peaks, the ridgelines, the valleys. Can't help but wonder if the Gumby would reveal the trees. :)

My friend noticed a diff but not as big as I did. Probably because of our stacks.

Mine:  Bimby > HDVA 600 > Balanced > HD 800
His: Modi 2 Uber > Vali 2 / Amperex 7308 > Oppo PM-3

Tracks I focused on in addition to general listening.

Bjork > Hunter
Tool > 10,000 Days ( Pt 2 )
Buena Vista Social Club > Chan Chan

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #1,961 of 2,799
The Bimby, gives you the range, the peaks the ridgelines the valleys. Can't help but wonder if the Gumby would reveal the trees. :)

And then Yggdrasil counts the leaves for you.  :)

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #1,962 of 2,799
  A friend who has a Modi 2 Uber and I traded for a few days, just to see the difference. I have the Bimby.  When I went from Bimby to Modi the most apparent difference was sound stage depth and imaging accuracy both both being reduced. The Modi also felt a little hollow. I just got my Bimby back.  The diff is really pretty big. I suppose the best way to describe it is by thinking of a mountain range. The Modi let's you hear the peaks. The peaks are sharp and detailed. They are very nice peaks. The Bimby, gives you the range, the peaks the ridgelines the valleys. Can't help but wonder if the Gumby would reveal the trees. :)

My friend noticed a diff but not as big as I did. Probably because of our stacks.

Mine:  Bimby > HDVA 600 > Balanced > HD 800
His: Modi 2 Uber > Magni 2 Uber / Amperex 7308 > Oppo PM-3

Tracks I focused on in addition to general listening.

Bjork > Hunter
Tool > 10,000 Days ( Pt 2 )
Buena Vista Social Club > Chan Chan

nice description of the perceived view.  yes, i think with your setup you would "see"  the trees

In what is the tube installed in your friends system?

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #1,964 of 2,799
  nice description of the perceived view.  yes, i think with your setup you would "see"  the trees

In what is the tube installed in your friends system?

He's running a Amperex 7308 in a Vali 2.  Sorry I put the wrong amp in above. I'll go fix now.

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #1,965 of 2,799
Since January 2015 I’ve been running a Bifrost Uber through an Asgard 2 from my desktop USB, using JRiver for ripping CD’s, cataloguing albums, and playing 44 - 192 FLAC files.  I have HD 650 and AKG 701 headphones.  Needless to say, I’ve been happy with the sound and have spent many an hour in the old recliner listening to music.
Now, I’ve changed things up a bit.  In January 2016 I swapped out the Uber for a Multibit, and the difference is not subtle.  I find the MB more engaging both musically and sound wise. 
Here's where it gets a bit interesting.  I didn't change the Uber, I kept it, and now I’m also happy with a second system I have downstairs.  I’m using the JRiver program to stream (DLNA) down to an Xbox 360.  I then use optical out to send the digital signal to my Uber, and on to an old Denon 3300 AVR.  For speakers I’m using a pair of 19 year old B&W CDM1 SE bookshelf speakers with a SW.  They were very good speakers back in the day and they still sound sweet; the Uber is the gravy.
Two systems and two Bifrosts, and I’m just saying.  My thanks to Jason Stoddard and Mike Moffat for consistently putting out these great sound boxes and offering us a way to upgrade to higher and higher levels of musical awareness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back