Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Mar 9, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #1,966 of 2,799
First listen with the Bimby. Coming from a ~10 year old DAC with a AKM 4396 chip It's like putting someone else's glasses on and realizing how bad your vision is. Even after 10 minutes music is easily and obviously more lively and enjoyable. There's "more" of everything, in every direction. Volume scales much more smoothly on my Lyr 2. I'm having difficulty placing what percentage of an improvement I would rate this as (one of those "you didn't know what you're missing" situations), but it's meeting and exceeding my expectations so far.

It's difficult for me to explain what the changes are; I suppose the most immediate difference is discovering the much more pronounced effect people refer to as holographics or image placement.

Bass reaches lower, very satisfying, sub-bass I believe.

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #1,968 of 2,799
i just recently got a bimby. yay!

I'm trying to setup foobar with it. I installed the kernel streaming plugin, but the bimby isn't showing up as a KS device. Do I need a different driver or something? or is there another bit perfect alternative to the KS module?

Thanks!

EDIT: figured it out. It was in the list, but didn't show up with the name of the device like it did with the DS counterpart.

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #1,969 of 2,799
  I'm trying to setup foobar with it. I installed the kernel streaming plugin, but the bimby isn't showing up as a KS device. Do I need a different driver or something? or is there another bit perfect alternative to the KS module?

Foobar2000 kernel streaming mode is obsolete and not recommended, I'd rather use WASAPI instead if you're running Windows 7 and above.

https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

Install, choose "WASAPI (event) : Schiit USB Audio Gen 2" device and you're golden.

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #1,970 of 2,799

Foobar2000 kernel streaming mode is obsolete and not recommended, I'd rather use WASAPI instead if you're running Windows 7 and above.

https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

Install, choose "WASAPI (event) : Schiit USB Audio Gen 2" device and you're golden.

it might be because i'm really high right now, but i'm pretty sure i heard an improvement switching to this. thanks!!

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #1,971 of 2,799
it might be because i'm really high right now, but i'm pretty sure i heard an improvement switching to this. thanks!!

Lord knows that every winning endorsement starts with the words, "It might be because I'm really high right now...".

Mar 21, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,973 of 2,799
These guys really have their act together. I ordered a Bifrost  MB last night ( sunday). Not only did I get a reply to a question I asked on sunday night, but the unit was shipped 9am Monday morning. I do appreciate a company that cares enough to provide this level of support.

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #1,975 of 2,799
 Finally decided to upgrade my Bifrost Uber to Multibit. The wait at 29 in queue is going to kill me though ;-;

You'll be pleased with the results! Keep it on and plugged in at all times to enjoy the best of its performance.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #1,976 of 2,799
Would the Multibit upgrade still be beneficial if most of my library is high bitrate (LAME -V0) encoded MP3s?  Or does the "bitperfect" scenario really only apply when you are playing full size, lossless files?

Or would the 4490 actually be a better choice in the case of my MP3 library?  (And for games, movies, etc?)  Would Multibit just be overkill?

I currently have the 4490 and am very happy with it, but I can't help but be curious about Multibit since I have never had the chance to listen to a DAC in that class.

The practical side of me says I don't *need* Multibit -- actually, the practical side of me (aka my wife, aka accountant) says I don't even need the 4490 -- but the audio geek side can't help but admire the tech and wonder.

I suppose the only real answer is "try it and find out"...but I'd still be very interested to hear any technical explanations on the subject.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #1,977 of 2,799
  Would the Multibit upgrade still be beneficial if most of my library is high bitrate (LAME -V0) encoded MP3s?  Or does the "bitperfect" scenario really only apply when you are playing full size, lossless files?

Or would the 4490 actually be a better choice in the case of my MP3 library?  (And for games, movies, etc?)  Would Multibit just be overkill?

I currently have the 4490 and am very happy with it, but I can't help but be curious about Multibit since I have never had the chance to listen to a DAC in that class.

The practical side of me says I don't *need* Multibit -- actually, the practical side of me (aka my wife, aka accountant) says I don't even need the 4490 -- but the audio geek side can't help but admire the tech and wonder.

I suppose the only real answer is "try it and find out"...but I'd still be very interested to hear any technical explanations on the subject.

i would get more curious about switching to lossless audio before switching to multibit. Multibit will definitely sound better with MP3, but this is basically what you'd be doing:
https://youtu.be/FnF2ROKtdMY

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #1,978 of 2,799
Haha...fair enough. I guess that's what I'm afraid of.

Honestly, though, when I do ABX testing on my current setup using max quality MP3s against their WAV or FLAC counterparts, I can pick out the differences typically 5 or 6 out of 8 attempts, but I have to concentrate really hard as the difference to my ears is very subtle.  That is why to this point I haven't been motivated to re-rip much of my library and/or seek out lossless copies of the stuff i only own digital downloads of.  On stuff I really, really like, the difference is worth re-ripping if I already own the CD, but I typically don't feel there's enough of an improvement to warrant re-purchasing material in lossless form if I already have a good quality MP3.

Decisions, decisions....

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #1,979 of 2,799
Wow, What a burn in trip. The DAC didn't sound that bad when I first fired it up. I was determined not to listen for at least an hour. Two minutes later I had the headphones on. Not bad. A little coarse, the highs were rough. Couple of hours later it started sounding a lot better; after 6 hours it was so bad I couldn't listen anymore..total pain. A lot better this morning after running all night and buy this afternoon it started getting really SWEET. Gee, maybe a keeper after all. Well nothing to do, so I just ordered a pair of Ether C's. These HD600 are getting long in the tooth.   In for a thousand in for 3 . Now this is it NO MORE!!! Well....until the next time Dan gets creative.

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #1,980 of 2,799
Folks, it's not "burn-in."  That was done at Schiit.  It's allowing the R2R DACs to reach thermal equilibrium, and it's why you should just leave them turned on all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back