Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Jan 27, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #1,892 of 2,799
I'm really liking both Bifrost setups but so far I haven't had the opportunity to do any comparative listening due to a loss in the family.  I will though at some time in the not too distant future.

So sorry to hear that. All the best.

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #1,895 of 2,799
  -That different DAC's can and do sound different from one another is no longer subject to any legitimate debate.

-The degree to which DAC's sound differently from one another (as perceived by listeners) is subjective and entirely subject to debate.

-That people have differing levels of hearing ability is not subject to debate.  Some people are smarter, some have better vision, some have a better sense of smell or taste, etc., etc.

-It is entirely possible that a particular user's system is not sufficiently resolving to reveal the sonic differences between DAC's, or may reduce the differences to such a level as to make the differences nearly indistinguishable.  My guess is the strong majority of the people that frequent this site have sufficiently decent gear that sonic differences in DAC's should be apparent (to varying degrees).  

-It is possible that some people don't really know what to listen for, or don't have the appropriate attention span, or are using demo music that does not illuminate the differences. 

So, IMHO, if someone does not hear any difference (or very, very little difference) between say, the Bimby and an ODAC, then some of the possible reasons are:

1. The listener does not have sufficient hearing ability (sorry, that is life, but I am sure you have other excellent qualities
bigsmile_face.gif
).  Back-handed 'golden ear' compliments from those that can't hear differences won't change this fact.

OR

2. The listener's gear is to blame (unlikely for most on this forum).

OR

3. Increase your focus/attention, choose different music.  If that does not work, see points 1 and 2 above.

Or, in my experience, they consciously don't want to hear a difference because it would invalidate their uninformed assumptions.

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,896 of 2,799
Or, in my experience, they consciously don't want to hear a difference because it would invalidate their uninformed assumptions.

It really depends on the rest of your chain. With PM-3s, the effect is much more subtle than with my HE-500.

Jan 28, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #1,899 of 2,799
Just encountered the sample rate switching problem again, after a long period of not running into it. It looks like the issue isn't completely resolved on mine. I'll post again if I can reproduce it.

EDIT: I can reliably reproduce it right now, and I'm resisting the temptation to turn off the Bifrost just in case this is useful for Schiit. I've contacted support.

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #1,900 of 2,799
  Just encountered the sample rate switching problem again, after a long period of not running into it. It looks like the issue isn't completely resolved on mine. I'll post again if I can reproduce it.

EDIT: I can reliably reproduce it right now, and I'm resisting the temptation to turn off the Bifrost just in case this is useful for Schiit. I've contacted support.

It's obviously a relay switch problem. I've had mine for a couple weeks now and that's when it does it. It's very annoying, but quickly switching inputs resolves the problem 100 percent of the time. Everything else works perfectly. I can live with that, then again I sit next to the Bimby when I listen so switching it is very easy.

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #1,901 of 2,799
  It's obviously a relay switch problem. I've had mine for a couple weeks now and that's when it does it. It's very annoying, but quickly switching inputs resolves the problem 100 percent of the time. Everything else works perfectly. I can live with that, then again I sit next to the Bimby when I listen so switching it is very easy.

Do you use USB input?

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #1,903 of 2,799

Is the switching problem one of the Bimby not clicking when sample rates change or one where it clicks too much?  Because I've been listening to some difference sample rate FLAC files via Foobar and the Bimby will only click very rarely even if there are sample rate changes song after song.

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #1,904 of 2,799
Hi
I am still learning about different approaches to DACs

Could some kind person explain the pros and cons of multibit, in particular as implemented in the Bifrost MB, versus oversampling/apodizing filtering, as implemented in the Meridian DACs?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #1,905 of 2,799
I am still learning about different approaches to DACs

Could some kind person explain the pros and cons of multibit, in particular as implemented in the Bifrost MB, versus oversampling/apodizing filtering, as implemented in the Meridian DACs?

Jason Stoddard discussed this to some extent in this chapter:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/3045#post_10944447

You can also glimse into Mike Moffat's prose included in the Schiit Happened ebook:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/5805#post_11463255

Otherwise, some long-winded discussion on R2R vs DS is available here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/779572/r2r-multibit-vs-delta-sigma-is-there-a-measurable-scientific-difference-thats-audible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back