Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Jan 12, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #1,621 of 2,799
Glad you are liking it.  

As for live music, well yes most amped stuff is really bad, but some can be good and the good stuff and acoustic that is done live is way above what we will ever hear in our living rooms.  Just remember the last time you heard a drum kit live..............................................No comparison in your living room is it.

that being that, we can give ourselves a pretty nice illusion for sure.  As for comparison to the big dog.  While I have heard both the Yggy and Gumby in a reference system many times.  I will say that the Gumby gets you about 75% of the Yggy.  And if pressured to put a number on how much of the Gumby you get with the Bimby I would say maybe 75% again but it might not be that close. So a range of 60-75%.

Doing the math with Yggy at 1000 and Gumby at 750 and Bimby at .75 of that we get  562.5 or about 56% of the Yggy.  This is only ones persons math, so please be sure to hear them all and setup your own value system.  Remember there is a reason they make 3 Multibit dacs.  Still over 50% of the sound of the Yggy at about 30% of the price.

Sweet Siddhartha, Yggdrasil must sound glorious. I figured like headphones, the improvement would diminish as you got closer to TOTL.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #1,625 of 2,799
  apart from the Schiit MB DACs has anyone  heard another one just as good or better for around 500 to 1000 usd. I would love to see how good competition might be 

Yup, the Matrix X-Sabre was not beaten by the Bimby in my recent test.  And yes it is almost double at $1100 new but used they can go as low as $700 or so.  The Dangerous Source is another one that would put up a good fight.  With good competition it is about flavors and personal preferences more so than an outright winner.

I would love to try the Bimby and Source with some of the new usb bridges I have been testing.  They might kick things up another notch.

EDIT:  And oh, then there are some diy pieces that are really good for about $750

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #1,626 of 2,799

Glad you are liking it.  

As for live music, well yes most amped stuff is really bad, but some can be good and the good stuff and acoustic that is done live is way above what we will ever hear in our living rooms.  Just remember the last time you heard a drum kit live..............................................No comparison in your living room is it.

that being that, we can give ourselves a pretty nice illusion for sure.  As for comparison to the big dog.  While I have heard both the Yggy and Gumby in a reference system many times.  I will say that the Gumby gets you about 75% of the Yggy.  And if pressured to put a number on how much of the Gumby you get with the Bimby I would say maybe 75% again but it might not be that close. So a range of 60-75%.

Doing the math with Yggy at 1000 and Gumby at 750 and Bimby at .75 of that we get  562.5 or about 56% of the Yggy.  This is only ones persons math, so please be sure to hear them all and setup your own value system.  Remember there is a reason they make 3 Multibit dacs.  Still over 50% of the sound of the Yggy at about 30% of the price.

Sweet Siddhartha, Yggdrasil must sound glorious. I figured like headphones, the improvement would diminish as you got closer to TOTL.

I am an owner of a Bifrost Multibit and recently auditioned the Gungnir Multibit for a couple days (loan from a friend).

I should caution people to consider how often they listen to reference quality recordings in a painstaking fashion.

Head-Fi member Atomicbob has all three DACs and he uses the Yggy mainly for critical pro audio work, uses the Gumby in some situations (perhaps to impress visitors), but uses the Bimby most often.

Even the designer Mike Moffat uses a Bimby for casual listening at his work desk.

My personal reaction was that the Gungnir was better on 24-bit high resolution material, but that in some cases, I preferred the Bimby on some 16-bit material (which makes sense considering that Bimby has a full 16 bits of resolution).

It's likely that material that is not a great recording will be more fun and enjoyable on a Bimby.

Frankly, after auditioning the Gungnir, I gave up on any plans to save up to buy one to replace my Bifrost Multibit, because the latter does all of the same positive things to the soundstage and imaging and overall clarity.

And that saves money in my budget for the next ingenious Schiit product...

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #1,627 of 2,799
@Disastermouse, what DAC were you using prior to your new Bimby? I'm trying to gauge how much of a jump you'very made.

It was an HRT MusicStreamer II+.

I didn't realize that it was that much lower-scale.

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #1,630 of 2,799
I'd hate to spend $600 just to learn that I'm 'DAC-blind'.

same here, its a worry when you actually want to upgrade.

Now...

(How do I hide this huge chunk of metal from girlfriend?)

umm tell her its a new research device to help men find better shoes and engagement rings for their GFs 
cool.gif

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #1,631 of 2,799
  yes please need one of those

Just a guess but they've got Amps, DACS, and pre-amps well covered so what's left in the audio chain?
Audio sources.
Could be turntables or CD players I suppose but digital music server is more future proof IMO.

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #1,632 of 2,799
Just a guess but they've got Amps, DACS, and pre-amps well covered so what's left in the audio chain?
Audio sources.
Could be turntables or CD players I suppose but digital music server is more future proof IMO.

Can someone explain how that's better than my iMac? I have an SSD iMac with FireWire 800 and USB 2.0 drives.

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #1,633 of 2,799
same here, its a worry when you actually want to upgrade.

umm tell her its a new research device to help men find better shoes and engagement rings for their GFs :cool:  

My girlfriend is so atypical in this regard. She doesn't want expensive rings and her favorite shoes are Chuck Taylor's. Books are her addiction. Last year for her birthday, I got her a hanging sloth necklace. It actually makes it hard to buy gifts for her.

We weren't going to get Christmas gifts for one another at all (I'm gift immune - it's quite literally not part of my 'love language') but my first stab at a mechanical keyboard was an incredibly loud Razor with Cherry Blue switches (I'm writing a novel and have always wanted a mechanical keyboard) and the headphones were a way to let me get her a gift in an area that I have some small bit of knowledge. She's loving the X2s after a mini-freak out that they weren't the HD598s that we agreed upon (I felt it was an all-out upgrade and honestly, I think they're better than my HD650s). After she heard them from my amp, we arranged it so she gets my Magni now that I have the Polaris and she ordered a Modi 2 Uber (I convinced her to get the Uber version) earlier in the evening that I ordered the BiMBy. We've had two amazing nights of drunken headphone sampling between my HE-500s, HD650s, and her X2s.

I'm stumped about what to get her for her birthday. Getting her headphones was really a gift for me because I enjoy her enjoying them almost as much as she enjoys them. I don't want to get her a book because that's seriously like buying an alcoholic top-shelf whiskey.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #1,634 of 2,799
Can someone explain how that's better than my iMac? I have an SSD iMac with FireWire 800 and USB 2.0 drives.

Computers are like a multi tool doing lots of jobs.

Your iMac will be running lots of background processes at the same time as feeding music to the DAC.
On Windows at least this leads to a loss of sound quality.

You can get software for windows (Fidelizer) that I run on a laptop just playing music which kills lots of those processes not related to audio and prioritises music over other things.
Makes it useless for anything else but get a better quality sound.
http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/

Theoretically a music server would be even better, will have one job, and do that well.
Plus whatever Schiit can pull out of the hat to improved music playback.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #1,635 of 2,799
  Computers are like a multi tool doing lots of jobs.

Your iMac will be running lots of background processes at the same time as feeding music to the DAC.
On Windows at least this leads to a loss of sound quality.

You can get software for windows (Fidelizer) that I run on a laptop just playing music which kills lots of those processes not related to audio and prioritises music over other things.
Makes it useless for anything else but get a better quality sound.
http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/

Theoretically a music server would be even better, will have one job, and do that well.
Plus whatever Schiit can pull out of the hat to improved music playback.

I listen to everything on Tidal except ALAC rips for stuff that I can't find there that's already in my collection. Convenience trumps fidelity for that. I do have Fidelia, but I play nothing on it anymore. The Hi-Res store doesn't sell much of what I listen to anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back