Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Nov 23, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #1,201 of 2,799
I'm what you can call a Noob i suppose, although i have an absolute passion for music.  
It started when i brought a pair of Audio Engine A5+ speakers as well as a pair of ACS T2 IEM's (Complete gamble)  as i fancied something better than my standard Dell speakers which came with my modest PC package.
I found this gem of a site and after a bit of advice from you folks I decided to buy a Meridian explorer to accompany and better appreciate my PC/A5 set-up.
Upon arrival I became absolutely hooked and made it my mission to experience music on a different level.I brought a pair of open cans, went for the HD650's due to their formidable reputation and i received a nice pay check mainly due to overtime at work.
I heard about Schiit (i honestly don't remember how) which seemed like a bit of movement (top quality product for a decent price) and everything i read was so positive. After a few weeks decided to take the plunge and ordered a Lyr 2 from Mark at Electromod UK only to marvel at the clarity it produced. My music had never sounded so good and of course after being hooked i wasn't finished.I waited patiently for the Bimby to make its way to the UK I received an email from Electromod and placed my order straight away.
NOW ... like i said ... I'm a noob, The stuff some guys talk about on this website baffles me. All i can say is that this Schiit transports me! It's fun, infectious and rewarding. I literally cant walk away from my system and the fact i'm absolutely engaged in my music means i'm happy with my purchase.
Songs i adored from years ago are exciting to listen to again as i'm able to notice the nuances in the song that i never knew were there.
Mike and Jason keep doing what your doing! It doesn't just excite existing fans and audiophiles, this Schiit is opening up a new world to newbies and potential audiophiles like me, to say i appreciate your efforts is an understatement.

Nov 24, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #1,203 of 2,799

NOW ... like i said ... I'm a noob, The stuff some guys talk about on this website baffles me. All i can say is that this Schiit transports me! It's fun, infectious and rewarding. I literally cant walk away from my system and the fact i'm absolutely engaged in my music means i'm happy with my purchase.
Songs i adored from years ago are exciting to listen to again as i'm able to notice the nuances in the song that i never knew were there.
Mike and Jason keep doing what your doing! It doesn't just excite existing fans and audiophiles, this Schiit is opening up a new world to newbies and potential audiophiles like me, to say i appreciate your efforts is an understatement.

+1

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #1,204 of 2,799
I don't want to turn this into a big debate, but ... Are you sure you're level matched? Did you do it by ear or with a meter? The only reliable way to do it, is with a meter and a test signal. Something like pink noise, or a multi-tone signal like the JL Audio CleanSweep test track.
Preamps add gain to get more volume. So yes, the output Voltage coming out of a preamp can be higher than the input Voltage if the preamp is active and has an internal gain of greater than 1. Preamps *can* also add their own sonic signature as well; any active component can.

Brian.

I did it by ear. But if I were to put a piece of masking tape at the location of the volume knob of my Asgard 2, then the Bifrost MB is closer to 11:55-12 'oclock and the Theta Ds Pro Progeny v. A is at 10'oclock. It definitely doesn't take much to notice this difference.

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #1,205 of 2,799
^ Sure, you would expect the DAC with the higher Voltage output to need less gain (volume knob position) for the same output level. That's correct.

What I'm saying about level matching is, that small differences in level can make you think you hear something "better" in the one that's louder. Even 1 dB of difference is usually perceived as "better" because it's louder. This is why you have to level match with a meter. Otherwise you might be off by a small amount and usually, the louder one wins.

Brian.

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #1,207 of 2,799
  Speaking of level matching with headphones. How does one go about doing this properly?

Serious question, I want to do some listening experiments.

2. DIY Measurement Kit

For serious amateur measurements.

Edit: I mounted the electret flush with front of an MDF board and strapped the headphone cup to it.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #1,208 of 2,799
   2. DIY Measurement Kit

For serious amateur measurements.

Edit: I mounted the electret flush with front of an MDF board and strapped the headphone cup to it.

Thanks for the link Jimmers, I was thinking more along the lines of an SPL meter iphone app and the proper way to level match headphones with a distance measurement from the center of the driver and pink noise...or something along those lines. In other words, something even an idiot like myself could do! LOL! 
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #1,209 of 2,799
Just pulled the trigger on a Bifrost Muiltibit to replace the Modi 2.

When stacking I assume you use the little rubber spacing feet, is this enough space to provide airflow?
Was planing to put the Lyr 2 on top.

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #1,210 of 2,799

When stacking I assume you use the little rubber spacing feet, is this enough space to provide airflow?

Yep. Thats enough. The Bifrost runs only about as hot as room temp.

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #1,211 of 2,799
Yep. Thats enough. The Bifrost runs only about as hot as room temp.

Great thanks, I was thrown off by the big heat vent on top and my experience with the Lyr 2 which needs oven gloves to adjust the volume!

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #1,212 of 2,799
  Great thanks, I was thrown off by the big heat vent on top and my experience with the Lyr 2 which needs oven gloves to adjust the volume!

It's actually just a fancy cover plate on the Bifrost.  There's no holes in it.  FCC regulations and stuff...

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #1,213 of 2,799

I put larger feet between Mjolnir/Gugnir and it made a HUGE difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back