Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 22, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #841 of 2,799
  Not dismissing anything, I have had so called better dacs that offered the same Digital Edge and after weeks of listening I still hated it, I feel no need to revisit it just because the product name is different, I gave Multibit a shot based on the companys many positive reviews, and I will admit it might have been nice to loose some tubes. But the sound was just to etched for my tastes 

Of course I have identified a sound preference otherwise I would stay in  a constant state of system upheaval (which is fun for a bit but eventually gets old) It is also part of the journey to come to a place that pleases YOU (not necessarily the masses) 

Your analogy is funny as I am full time Diet soda, and you are correct in that initially it left something to be desired However it was not causing a headache from over abundance it was simply different Not Better nor Worse, and i was not asked to replace my taste buds in order to adjust to its taste

I am truly Happy an American company (Schiit) can make a product that pleases so many, Sadly I am not one of them in this case

Fair enough!
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #842 of 2,799

This is how our brains are wired up. *shrug* No matter how the gear sounds from the start, you would still adapt to it in a certain way.
And switching to some other gear would require the brain to readjust. So it might even sound odd for a while if you've been accustomed to a different sound signature.
And then going back would feel the same - "how was I listening to THIS all along?"

Human is a creature of habit.

I've been doing this all day. I've had a Modi + O2 at my office for a week and half and was forced to work from home with my laptop sans DAC + Amp...just running my IEMs straight out of the laptop - YUCK! I feel like my audio was tossed around with some sand. So grainy!

This Realtek device sounds muted and grainy at the same time! Makes me feel like the grains are scratching against my eardrum.

help

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #843 of 2,799

This is how our brains are wired up. *shrug* No matter how the gear sounds from the start, you would still adapt to it in a certain way.
And switching to some other gear would require the brain to readjust. So it might even sound odd for a while if you've been accustomed to a different sound signature.
And then going back would feel the same - "how was I listening to THIS all along?"

Human is a creature of habit.

Or you go back and AAAHHHHHHHH there it is Now it sounds right again 
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #846 of 2,799
Well I have lucked out.
I got my Bifrost upgrade this morning upon connecting the power the unit started to audibly buzz then the lights on the source selections cycled through then the whole thing went completely dead. No power nothing.  Im awaiting to hear back from Schiit what will be done. It cost me a heap to send it to america from Australia so to say I'm disappointed its DOA is an understatement .

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #847 of 2,799
  Well I have lucked out.
I got my Bifrost upgrade this morning upon connecting the power the unit started to audibly buzz then the lights on the source selections cycled through then the whole thing went completely dead. No power nothing.  Im awaiting to hear back from Schiit what will be done. It cost me a heap to send it to america from Australia so to say I'm disappointed its DOA is an understatement .

That sucks, man. Hope you will get taken care of.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #848 of 2,799
  Well I have lucked out.

Sounds like someone sent the wrong power requirements. Poof.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #849 of 2,799
  Sounds like someone sent the wrong power requirements. Poof.

But he sent it for a module upgrade, not the motherboard replacement... should still be his. Unless it was replaced by Schiit (and to a wrong power spec? I doubt it).

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #850 of 2,799

the buzzing sound was very nerve racking , It sounded like something power related. When I saw buzzing I don't mean through the headphones I mean through the unit itself.

My hope is that Schiit will pay for shipping both ways to fix it considering they sent me my unit back faulty.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #851 of 2,799
Schiit / Jason has a rep of caring more about the music and customers than the business / money end of this. So I am sure they will make it right

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #852 of 2,799

But he sent it for a module upgrade, not the motherboard replacement... should still be his. Unless it was replaced by Schiit (and to a wrong power spec? I doubt it).

If I were them, to speed up delivery, instead of performing surgery on the individual units coming in, plug them up to the Ethernet port, update firmware, wait, then wait a day or three to burn in, as the units came in, I would just replace guts with whole guts that have already gone through surgery, firmware updates, tested, and burned in. Therefore, you keep your chassis, serial number, and you don't have to wait as long to receive yours. This is why the first upgrades took longer than the secondary ones.

If that is the case, the wrong input voltage unit was put into yours by mistake.

It's just a theory. I could be dead wrong. And have before. And each time I am, I learn even more.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #853 of 2,799
In my experience, plugging a 120v product into 240v results in an instant POP and physical destruction of capacitors.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #854 of 2,799

the buzzing sound was very nerve racking , It sounded like something power related. When I saw buzzing I don't mean through the headphones I mean through the unit itself.

My hope is that Schiit will pay for shipping both ways to fix it considering they sent me my unit back faulty.

I received my Multifrost on Monday here in the U.S. and have the same issue. My buzzing sound sometimes happens only when switching to music files of different sampling rates. When I push the input option button, it goes away. I emailed Schiit today and will see what they say about it. Other than that odd fluke, the multibit upgrade sounds fantastic. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #855 of 2,799

I received my Multifrost on Monday here in the U.S. and have the same issue. My buzzing sound sometimes happens only when switching to music files of different sampling rates. When I push the input option button, it goes away. I emailed Schiit today and will see what they say about it. Other than that odd fluke, the multibit upgrade sounds fantastic. 

Big difference is after it buzzed it completely died. No power at all..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back