Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 21, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #811 of 2,799
  It's worth noting that there is no upsampling on 24/176.4 or 24/192 files, so in those cases the "Burrito" filter is not used.

I thought the filter was always used (digital audio requires some filter, after all) but that there is no oversampling in that case.

The Gumby and Yggy always oversample to 384Khz.

If my understanding is correct then the Bimby is NOS @ 192Khz.

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #812 of 2,799
this multibit is going to get me divorced if i dont get my ass out of my listening room this week!
man this thing is very addictive in my system.
(reintroduced myself to dylan's infidels tonight.... awesome)

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #813 of 2,799

It's worth noting that there is no upsampling on 24/176.4 or 24/192 files, so in those cases the "Burrito" filter is not used.

I thought the filter was always used (digital audio requires some filter, after all) but that there is no oversampling in that case.

The Gumby and Yggy always oversample to 384Khz.

If my understanding is correct then the Bimby is NOS @ 192Khz.

Direct quote from Jason that the Bimby is NOS @ either 176.4Khz or 192Khz.

(I would assume that Gumby and Yggy are NOS at 384Khz, but there are no music files at that rate.  They are probably NOS at 352.8Khz, and Jriver MC can convert SACD to that rate - and DXD files are that rate.)

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #814 of 2,799
You guys, for the better part of this thread, have been discussing how much or in what way the upgraded Bifrost improves upon the original. And it seems that for the most part the improvements are significant. So I'm sitting here listening (or was until a minute ago) to Diana Krall on my humble little Modi Uber. And I'm thinking, "This DAC is ridiculous. Hearing music now after years of hearing a decent but frankly hard to listen to approximation. How can a Yggy be much better?"  And yet from the discussion here it seems it has to be since a $250 or whatever upgrade is eroding marriages etc. 

So the upshot of this is I feel some weird obligation to experience each incremental (or leap) in improvement along the way to the Yggy end-game - assuming that's what a Yggy is. I feel I'd be missing out on part of the fun of experiencing each of these steps along the way. Am I nuts? Is the idea of trying out most of the basic Schiit DAC offerings dumb if I can just go buy the Yggy?

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #815 of 2,799
  Am I nuts? Is the idea of trying out most of the basic Schiit DAC offerings dumb if I can just go buy the Yggy?

Not at all. This hobby is for your enjoyment. If that's the way that makes you the happiest, go for it!

I will say though that while I wouldn't do it, I would be eager to read reviews from someone who has tried all of them.

I think the largest question for Multibit to me, is does it sound digital? It's also a question that is targeting specific people, because to some people a Modi 2 doesn't sound digital. For people such as that, I'm not asking them as that doesn't bother them. I used to be bothered by the treble of the HD 800, but after switching from USB to optical, and it being so much cleaner, it seems much warmer. I guess what I hear is what someone with a Wyrd in the chain would hear. This kind of points me into the direction of trying to achieve a very clean source/path, combined with a DAC that can represent the true colors of music.

Is Multibit what I'm looking for, or R2R, or a tube-based DAC like the Havana? So far the only DAC I've ever heard that took the digital edge away was the Ayre QB-9 DSD (I am surprised this is Delta Sigma, really surprised. Must be some voodoo in that box). Unfortunately the cost of that was much more than I want to spend.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #816 of 2,799
You guys, for the better part of this thread, have been discussing how much or in what way the upgraded Bifrost improves upon the original. And it seems that for the most part the improvements are significant. So I'm sitting here listening (or was until a minute ago) to Diana Krall on my humble little Modi Uber. And I'm thinking, "This DAC is ridiculous. Hearing music now after years of hearing a decent but frankly hard to listen to approximation. How can a Yggy be much better?"  And yet from the discussion here it seems it has to be since a $250 or whatever upgrade is eroding marriages etc. 

So the upshot of this is I feel some weird obligation to experience each incremental (or leap) in improvement along the way to the Yggy end-game - assuming that's what a Yggy is. I feel I'd be missing out on part of the fun of experiencing each of these steps along the way. Am I nuts? Is the idea of trying out most of the basic Schiit DAC offerings dumb if I can just go buy the Yggy?

II wouldn't say the Multifrost is better so much as different. They both have their charms and their unique sounds. Me personally, I just don't have the space for a Yggy in my workroom, and the Modi/Vali combo fits great on my computer desk. Sometimes bigger and more expensive isn't better.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #817 of 2,799
 Is the idea of trying out most of the basic Schiit DAC offerings dumb if I can just go buy the Yggy?

The reason for the less expensive Schiit DACs is for people who do not have $2300 available.  If your finances are such that you have that amount, and you would find it a reasonable idea to spend it on music reproduction in your home, then just buy an Yggy.  Note that there is a 15-day return policy if you get it and then say "I really cannot hear a difference".

However, if you get Yggy, you may then want to upgrade the other parts of your system. :)

The slogan of this site is " Welcome to Head-Fi.  Sorry about your wallet. "

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #818 of 2,799
My Schiit Bifrost Multibit has been on for 125 hours now, which should be sufficient break-in for just about any capacitor.
It occurred to me that my previous perception of slightly bright and glarey sound from the "Bimby" might be due to the Japanese electronics I have been using to audition it - which have really excellent soundstaging as well as bass slam, but I remembered also have somewhat of a reputation for glare.
So, I went through my test tracks again with my Bellari Class A amp with the carefully selected Early 60's Siemens Munchen 12AX7. (This has excellent imaging and very smooth and even frequency response.)
Sure enough, this time there was no brightness and the only glare seemed part of some lesser recordings. Neither "cold" nor "warm" in this setup.
The Reiner Scheherazade had unprecedented separation of multiple instruments, and for the first time - no congestion at all.
Timbre was excellent with all recordings, and definition of instrument's shape and position was as good as I've seen.
And I'm really enjoying the outstanding bass quality as I listen to a lot of EDM lately like Disclosure...
Two thumbs up!

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #819 of 2,799

"End-game" is rather meaningless - is it the point where you are completely 100% satisfied and not even remotely tempted by the next major breakthrough or is at the point at which your spouse starts commenting on how much your life insurance policy is worth?

[And thank you Schiit Heads for reliably offering regular upgrades that are too tempting to resist
triportsad.gif
}

I don't see the point in working up the entire Schiit chain if you can afford the Yggy and Ragnarock right out of the gate.  For "normal" beginners I always recommend buying quality entry level gear until they figure out what sound signature makes ther ears tingle.  Little point in going succesively higher up the SS ladder for example if you figure out early on that you REALLY love the tube sound. Or god forbid you actually LIKE V shaped response curves 
basshead.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #820 of 2,799
I don't see the point in working up the entire Schiit chain if you can afford the Yggy and Ragnarock right out of the gate. 

It's not just about what you can afford. Yggy and Rag have requirements (size, power, always on) that don't fit some situations, and whatever your audio budget, there are always different ways of slicing it to fit your wishes and constraints. I have on order speakers and cables to upgrade my living room speaker system that are much more expensive than Yggy+Rag would be, because for me, $$$ spent on transducers (headphones or speakers) have given a lot more value than the same $$$ spent on better DACs and amps, once those are reasonably competent. The Buber -> Bimby upgrade was a no-brainer at the price, and I'm super-happy with the results. And to heap more credit on Schiit, when I asked them for the best next step for my headphone setup, Nick advised getting better headphones, which I did, with great results. The quality I'm getting from Bimby + Asgard 2 + MrSPeakers Alpha Primes is high enough that I can't be bothered with the hassles of possible upgrades (well, I might not resist listening to the Ether Cs when they show up at my friendly dealer...). There will always be gaps between electronic reproduction and live music, which for me are best filled by going to more live shows. To paraphrase Jason in his latest chapter, audio gear is a means, not an end.

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #821 of 2,799

.I now have the Bifrost MultiBit Which replaced the Modi2 Uber in my Main 2 CH Stereo setup, The MB is very good ( umm I am being modest here I am one of those who cant turn off the music to get to bed) I use a Modi 2 Uber at work for hours on end and even after getting the Bifrost MB I don't feel any pain going back to the Modi 2 Uber when I go to work. To me there is a difference between the two. Does the Modi 2 sound bad now that I have the MB ? No, Not at all

At the risk of diving into the car discussion again its Kind of like Modi 2 U = Corvette and the Bifrost MB =Corvette Z06. Does the existence of the Z06 automatically make the standard corvette inferior Not by any means.and for Many the Standard Vette is end game and that's perfectly fine. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #822 of 2,799
  It's not just about what you can afford. Yggy and Rag have requirements (size, power, always on) that don't fit some situations, and whatever your audio budget, there are always different ways of slicing it to fit your wishes and constraints. I have on order speakers and cables to upgrade my living room speaker system that are much more expensive than Yggy+Rag would be, because for me, $$$ spent on transducers (headphones or speakers) have given a lot more value than the same $$$ spent on better DACs and amps, once those are reasonably competent. The Buber -> Bimby upgrade was a no-brainer at the price, and I'm super-happy with the results. And to heap more credit on Schiit, when I asked them for the best next step for my headphone setup, Nick advised getting better headphones, which I did, with great results. The quality I'm getting from Bimby + Asgard 2 + MrSPeakers Alpha Primes is high enough that I can't be bothered with the hassles of possible upgrades (well, I might not resist listening to the Ether Cs when they show up at my friendly dealer...). There will always be gaps between electronic reproduction and live music, which for me are best filled by going to more live shows. To paraphrase Jason in his latest chapter, audio gear is a means, not an end.

I'm glad you have found something suitable to your ears. I am running Theta DS Pro Progeny v. A -> Asgard 2 -> Alpha Dogs with success. My second best performer is the EAD CD-1000 series III -> BH Crack -> HD600s.

Right now my EAD is getting hot-rodded with Elna SII capacitors and just got converted from european 240V to 120V. I am still trying to warm up to the neutrality and presentation of the Bifrost MB. The Theta strikes too many areas that satisfy my love of music and it has been hard to switch back to the Bifrost MB for comparison. With certain music, I was completely floored with the Bifrost MB and less with the Theta.

However with most music the Theta seems to add some extra zing to the bass and has an even more addictive quality than the Bifrost MB at the slightest expense of accuracy in the highs. (I'm pulling strings here) I'm not even sure if it is any less detailed or if the Bifrost MB just has a more neutral balance which is why I am hearing more highs than mids and bass at the same volume. If anyone lives in San Diego you can hear it at the November Head-fi meet
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #823 of 2,799
  I can certainly understand your impressions, and could easily see how the multibit would sound great in some set ups..................I suppose the best way to say it is

The Schiit Bifrost Multibit is not a fit in my system sound preference wise, though it does offer an upgrade in sound above previous versions of Bifrost

Bingo.  I'd like to hear that Havana.

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #824 of 2,799
  My Schiit Bifrost Multibit has been on for 125 hours now, which should be sufficient break-in for just about any capacitor.
It occurred to me that my previous perception of slightly bright and glarey sound from the "Bimby" might be due to the Japanese electronics I have been using to audition it - which have really excellent soundstaging as well as bass slam, but I remembered also have somewhat of a reputation for glare.
So, I went through my test tracks again with my Bellari Class A amp with the carefully selected Early 60's Siemens Munchen 12AX7. (This has excellent imaging and very smooth and even frequency response.)
Sure enough, this time there was no brightness and the only glare seemed part of some lesser recordings. Neither "cold" nor "warm" in this setup.
The Reiner Scheherazade had unprecedented separation of multiple instruments, and for the first time - no congestion at all.
Timbre was excellent with all recordings, and definition of instrument's shape and position was as good as I've seen.
And I'm really enjoying the outstanding bass quality as I listen to a lot of EDM lately like Disclosure...
Two thumbs up!

Enjoyed  the take damn near as much as the Multibit.  Nice.

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #825 of 2,799

My DAC progression has been similar. I bought 2 Modis (one optical for my TV), and then jumped up to the Bifrost Uber USB. Which was upgraded to multibit and should arrive back home today. During the time the Bifrost was gone, I put the Modi optical back into the main system expecting that I would be disappointed after using the Bifrost for a year. I was really surprised at  how good the Modi optical sounded with my Lyr 2 and basic Sennheiser HD-598s. Despite the fact that when I upgraded to Bifrost Uber there was a very noticeable improvement over the Modi. Moreso than when I upgraded from the Vali to the Lyr 2.

The original Modi was an unbelievable value. The new Uber version is likely noticeably better. (I haven't heard one). If you have the money and want to run up through the line step by step, I think that would be an educational experience. For me, I'll eventually jump into a Gumby or Yggy because I need balanced outputs for an electrostatic rig. I would prefer to get the Yggy and be done with it, but funds are limited and that's what forces me to be patient. If money was not an issue I would have just been one of the first in line to buy the Yggy when it came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back