Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 17, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #661 of 2,799
  I have no issues whatsoever. Just enjoying the hell out of it.. Sorry, no time for reviews, lol.

Mine has been playing solid last few hours.  I honestly didn't have a lot of time this week with work schedule.  I can attest to continued improvement after day 1.  I had some fatigue and some wonky brightness and sizzle on stuff at first.  I wasn't sure what was the source.  I had assembled without much of baseline.  I went back to Yggy/Rag and came back like hmmmm.  Maybe it's my source player.  Fast forward a couple days.  Plug in again. Aha!  There it is.  Very nice indeed.  This is my new "chill" system for the living room.  I added a Vali versus a Lyr 2, and picked up an HD600 on sale.  Very nice.  So far no glitches today.  I am a beta tester for apple so pretty much that was what it was.

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #663 of 2,799
  I'd contact Schiit before sending back.  They've always been really good about helping troubleshoot problems.  

i did tonight.

don't get me wrong i am a BIG fan of schiit audio and what they do!  just trying to figure this out, and seems to be most users on this forum.

if there are no hw or sw requirement differences for an uber vs. multibit, then they should perform the same.  mine isn't.  and all was working 100% before i sent unit in.  either there is something wrong with unit or i have a compatibility isssue with my PC or OS.

btw OS is daphile v15.01

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #664 of 2,799
The firmware for the mulitbit has been changed. That's the reason upgrades had to send back in for the upgrade. So it's not just board replacement. I don't know if that was the cause. Sorry you're having trouble. I hope they're able to help work things out because it sounds great.

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #665 of 2,799
updated my daphile os to lateset ver 15.08.... we'll see what that does.

yeah i am bummed because when it's playing properly... it's heaven!  haven't tried my hd650's yet, but with speakers your head is swimming in the notes.  it unbelievable!

i'll try this os update and see what the schiit guys say.

cheers!

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #667 of 2,799
I know a lot of people are still waiting on orders, but does anyone have a comparison of the Bifrost Uber to the Bifrost Multibit? It's been a while since I have bought anything, but this might be an itch that I have to scratch...

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #668 of 2,799
  I know a lot of people are still waiting on orders, but does anyone have a comparison of the Bifrost Uber to the Bifrost Multibit? It's been a while since I have bought anything, but this might be an itch that I have to scratch...

I've only had mine back a couple of days, but soundstage and instrumental separation are the big things I notice so far.
It is much more capable of resolving very quiet details, like room reverberation and instrumental layering.  I'm mostly a classical listener.  In Suzuki's 24/96 recording of Bach organ works, for example, you can distinguish upper room reflections from side wall reflections very distinctly.  In a real acoustic space, the natural reverberation field is delivered quite a bit more realistically than the old Bifrost.  That's also a terrific recital disc, really well-engineered as are most recordings on the BIS label.

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #669 of 2,799
Crossing fingers, mate

updating to latest daphile ver seems to have done the trick.... so far.

now when switching between sample rates i hear a click and it plays properly.  i'll give it a workout today:)

i can't leave my listening room!  damn i am going to get nothing done today!  lol

i'd better drop nick at schiit a note and let him know things are working better now.

on the comparison between uber and multibit.... i loved my uber.... but i've already forgotten about it!
there isn't a comparison.  this multi is the schiit!

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #671 of 2,799

I have both.  The Buber has gone on the shelf.  For me, it was always a little shouty and had a bit of upper treble hash.  The Uber Bifrost was part of my office setup in my last office and worked great.  I've had an Yggy for many months now, so I know how good it can get.  With the Bimby, I had none of that shoutiness or treble junk.  It was far more natural and actually a tad on the warm side, while still being very clear sounding.  It's now permanently in my living room "chill" system.  It sounds absolutely fantastic.  Definitely worth an upgrade in my opinion.

Edit - I've owned and used the Buber for ~1.5 years.  The Bimby has been in my arsenal for 5 days and it's a clear winner.  I spent a day comparing while the Bimby was still settling in.  Bimby was already a winner.  I came back a few days later and some of the odd (but minor) treble weirdness I found initially with the Bimby was absolutely gone.  These R2R DACs require precise timing and voltage regulation to achieve ideal performance.  It's very audible.  Bimby settles in WAY faster than the Yggy.  We're talking  hours versus days.

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #673 of 2,799
The Yggy is far more resolving. It is clearer and more natural. The Bimby is slightly warmer and less detailed. It's difficult to do much direct comparisons as I have them in different systems. But, I like them both. To me, the Yggy is by far the clear winner on every level. I love the Bimby though. For its price, it's really good. It's also just really good without regard to the price. It's fun!

Oct 17, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #674 of 2,799
This is my first listening impression with bimby vs buber,it turned out well. It's hard to really tell for sure without the uber here to compare, so this is base on memory. I do believe the bimby is slightly warmer, not in a gooey way, but more of a smoother sense. This is the first thing that I noticed. Other things I sense after 30 mins, It has slightly more clarity and details with instrument being easier to distinguish and slight mor layered. I'm not sure if I hear any difference in size of the soundstage. The improvement overall seems to be there, how much I'm not sure without direct comparison. Overall the slight warmer sound is what most noticeable for me.
I only got to listen to it for 1 hr or so after letting I run for 10ish hrs. This is with bimby ->Valhalla 2->MacBook pro 15"-->HD800

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #675 of 2,799
Thanks for your sharing. I am still considering if I should upgrade my bifrost uber now. Just bought it 2 months ago.
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back