Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 16, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #646 of 2,799
  I'm sorry. I'm a noob with DAC's. Is the new Bifrost (AK4490) RDR as well? I'm not familiar with the term itself. Thanks.

R2R == Multibit. The "Bifrost 4490" is not a R2R DAC.

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #647 of 2,799
Thank you stjj89 
smile.gif

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #648 of 2,799
  I'm sorry. I'm a noob with DAC's. Is the new Bifrost (AK4490) RDR as well? I'm not familiar with the term itself. Thanks.

R2R == Multibit. The "Bifrost 4490" is not a R2R DAC.

A quick search of "multibit vs. delta-sigma DAC", or "R2R ladder vs. delta-sigma DAC" should give you plenty of reading material.  I was pretty ignorant until I did said research last week 
wink.gif

As to the switching "problem", hopefully Mike or Jason, or some knowledgeable Head-Fier, will edubicate us plebes.

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #649 of 2,799
  I haven't experienced any distortion, just the beginning of songs being cut off when the DAC adjusts.  It's a bit of a PITA, but I just click play in foobar to start the song from the true beginning.  If the song has half a second or so of silence before the music starts, it's not noticeable.  I'm on Windows 7 64-bit with the latest USB driver from Schiit's site, and a Wyrd as well.

I don't have any issues. Windows 8.1 64-bit, Schiit 1.03 USB driver. Foobar2000 with WASAPI output. Switching between 16/44.1 - 24/192 songs, I only hear a very brief relay click. Playing through the album is gapless, of course.

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #650 of 2,799
Drivers maybe different depending on your computer (PC or Mac), OS and computer architecture (32 or 64 bit). Manufacturers should always specify which driver to download for your computer. And they should test these drivers on different computers and OS.

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #652 of 2,799
  so how do the multibits sound? no one with with upgrades has commented.... have they?
any issues?

Just read the last two or three pages... again, as needed 
wink.gif

FWIW, I'm glad I did the upgrade, issues and all.

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #654 of 2,799
Is anyone having trouble with changing songs with different sample rates? Whether just using itunes or bitperfect, if I switch to a 24 96 song after a 16 41 the music is crazy distorted. Only way to fix is to flick through the manual input selector or power of and on the Bifrost. Im using latest mac os and the Wyrd as well. Strange...

I had this happen with 88.2k and 96k All other rates were fine. So I thought the driver was the issue.(WIN10) I changed the driver and wouldn't you know it, I now had issues with 44.1 but not 88.2 and 96. I did more driver install and uninstalls but no fix. Finally powered down the Multifrost, disconnected it, rebooted the laptop, reconnected the Multifrost, powered it up and all sample rates are playing fine now.

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #655 of 2,799
DAC'S are 'just' specialized computers. They get hung up or can retain junk data. Both Hiby and UAPP add their own driver to a DAC. You can hear the Bifrost klicking away as the driver is installed. When you exit Hiby or UAPP the driver is removed (So no other program can use it) and you can hear the Bifrost clicking as the driver is wrested from its use. I find both programs do not leave the DAC as it was in the beginning. My Samson Tab S 12.2 can use a Bifrost natively without special drivers. If I use uapp/hiby, then the native function no longer works until I reboot the DAC.

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #656 of 2,799
finding that going from different sample rate files, the multibit bifrost gets hung up (playing distorted, muffled, jittery, etc...).  my uber card never did this in the year that i owned it.
ive been powering down the dac and pc, then all goes away for awhile.  this is day 3 of this.  about ready to send it back.

if everything worked with my uber shouldn't it work with my multibit?  i changed nothing in my system while it was in for upgrade.  so should work same right?

not getting this, and don't claim to be an expert at all this... been learning over the last year.

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #657 of 2,799
I had something similar happen but attributed to my Beta OSX being glitchy. I'll have to check it out I my main system tomorrow. It was playing glitchy and at seemingly double rate, higher pitch.

Edit - just for clarity this is just something I found a few times. I have yet to contact schiit regarding this issue. So, I don't want to speak too much until it plays out. It may just be my computer.

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #658 of 2,799
I have no issues whatsoever. Just enjoying the hell out of it.. Sorry, no time for reviews, lol.

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #660 of 2,799
  finding that going from different sample rate files, the multibit bifrost gets hung up (playing distorted, muffled, jittery, etc...).  my uber card never did this in the year that i owned it.
ive been powering down the dac and pc, then all goes away for awhile.  this is day 3 of this.  about ready to send it back.

if everything worked with my uber shouldn't it work with my multibit?  i changed nothing in my system while it was in for upgrade.  so should work same right?

not getting this, and don't claim to be an expert at all this... been learning over the last year.

I'd contact Schiit before sending back.  They've always been really good about helping troubleshoot problems.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back