Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 4, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #121 of 2,799
  So, I got my Bifrost Uber not that long ago either, but I really don't understand your argument. The parts and labor that went into building the original Bifrost Uber D/A board cost $B to Schiit. The new boards cost $M. The actual upgrade has additional labor costs $U. So, the D/A portion of the upgraded device costs Schiit $B + $M + $U, while the D/A of a brand new multibit Bifrost costs just $M. Are you suggesting that Schiit should take a loss on the upgrade? When you do a task at work, and then a better way to do it comes up and you redo the task, do you return whatever you were paid for doing the task first time? Just trying to understand your logic, that's all.

I did state that a few posts back that Schiit is in the business of making money and that Schiit was most likely trying to clear their back stock of Ubers before releasing the new upgraded and cheaper 4490. They must not be losing much money because now they are selling the 4490 (which according to Schiit is a superior version to the Uber) for $399 which includes USB standard. The USB option alone was $100 upgrade if I remember correctly. So a base Bifrost with USB you would have bought a week ago sold for $450. Today a version that includes USB and with an upgrade superior to the Uber board sells for $399. They must be losing money on every 4490 if the USB board was really $100 upgrade. Not to mention the additional $70 for the Uber board. Not to argue with the pricing of upgrades, but to merely state the point that any loss they may have incurred would have been minimal. Keeping the customer happy and making them feel like they are getting value for the money is important in my opinion. I am not a customer at my job, I am an employee.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #122 of 2,799
I just wonder if there will ever be a Multibit Modi. It might be too many parts for that small chassis.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #123 of 2,799
Anyone who thinks any company sells products at a price point where they know they will lose money is being very foolish.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #124 of 2,799
  Anyone who thinks any company sells products at a price point where they know they will lose money is being very foolish.

I absolutely agree. They are in business to make money. Schiit has always touted that they are all about keeping their pricing structure consumer friendly. In my situation, I don't believe it is.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #125 of 2,799
I just wonder if there will ever be a Multibit Modi. It might be too many parts for that small chassis.

I really really doubt it.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #126 of 2,799

I did state that a few posts back that Schiit is in the business of making money and that Schiit was most likely trying to clear their back stock of Ubers before releasing the new upgraded and cheaper 4490. They must not be losing much money because now they are selling the 4490 (which according to Schiit is a superior version to the Uber) for $399 which includes USB standard. The USB option alone was $100 upgrade if I remember correctly. So a base Bifrost with USB you would have bought a week ago sold for $450. Today a version that includes USB and with an upgrade superior to the Uber board sells for $399. They must be losing money on every 4490 if the USB board was really $100 upgrade. Not to mention the additional $70 for the Uber board. Not to argue with the pricing of upgrades, but to merely state the point that any loss they may have incurred would have been minimal. Keeping the customer happy and making them feel like they are getting value for the money is important in my opinion. I am not a customer at my job, I am an employee.

I asked one question, you answered something else. Rather than repeating my question and argument, which were clear to start with, I'll close by observing that digital electronics get steadily cheaper as parts and design improve, so it's not surprising at all that the new 4490 board is better and cheaper than old D/A + USB + Uber. Anyway, back to waiting for the upgrade queue to start moving after the weekend...

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #127 of 2,799
I just upgraded my Bifrost to Uber+USB in June.  Hey, not saying a discount for the MB wouldn't be nice but I clearly need a new crystal ball.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #129 of 2,799
  I just upgraded my Bifrost to Uber+USB in June.  Hey, not saying a discount for the MB wouldn't be nice but I clearly need a new crystal ball.

I shouldn't be complaining then. I've had my Bifrost Uber for nearly two years and it got in some good usage. I shipped mine back to Schiit for the MB upgrade but I was in the same camp of paying $519 for the Uber. Since then though a lot has changed and I couldn't have predicted (or expected) that Schiit would have came out with a full redesign of the DAC board for the Bifrost.

So I'm not going to be sour about paying $769 when it was spread through the course of two years. I would say that people who got the Uber more recently should get a rebate for the upgrade if they show a receipt or order within the past year.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #130 of 2,799
  I asked one question, you answered something else. Rather than repeating my question and argument, which were clear to start with, I'll close by observing that digital electronics get steadily cheaper as parts and design improve, so it's not surprising at all that the new 4490 board is better and cheaper than old D/A + USB + Uber. Anyway, back to waiting for the upgrade queue to start moving after the weekend...

I feel I answered your question quite clearly.  I am not looking to start an argument, just voicing a concern and giving an explanation for my logic. Enjoy your weekend, hope you get your RMA soon!

Oct 4, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #132 of 2,799
  I'm waiting for the multibit Fulla.  Should be about $29 for the upgrade.

nice one 
dt880smile.png

Oct 4, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #134 of 2,799
  I would say that people who got the Uber more recently should get a rebate for the upgrade if they show a receipt or order within the past year.

This is a nice thought, but it just opens the can of worms of where is the cutoff point.  People who ordered just after 1 year mark are then going to then be upset.

People are also ignoring the fact that the Multibit upgrade isn't actually a direct successor for the Uber.

Oct 4, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #135 of 2,799

This is a nice thought, but it just opens the can of worms of where is the cutoff point.  People who ordered just after 1 year mark are then going to then be upset.

People are also ignoring the fact that the Multibit upgrade isn't actually a direct successor for the Uber.

I totally agree with your point regarding the cutoff. Some people may be unhappy if they just missed the timeframe. I can only speak for myself, but I am not thrilled that there is nothing offered at all. But either way there is no pleasing everyone.

The word Uber means the outstanding and supreme example of something. Being that the Multibit is now the best version of the Bifrost, the Multibit is in my opinion the new Uber with the 4490 being the base version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back