Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 3, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #106 of 2,799
  I have read through the thread, but still do not have any idea as to the practical difference between the two Bifrost models (or why they are more awesome than prior generation).  I greatly appreciate the detailed technical information provided and applaud people's ability to comprehend it...but it might as well be written in Gallic (or whatever extinct language of your preference) LOL

Therefore, would you kindly...put that into lament terms?  What would be the typical application difference/necessity between the two models? =)

For reference, my current desktop listening is done via HD600 and Vali/Modi2U from a laptop USB with various cornucopia of files (ranging from 256k through the different FLAC levels).  I am not a file format snob nor do I have golden ears...but I still like shiny new Schiit from time to time.

Some decent reading in this thread on R2R vs Delta Sigma

http://www.head-fi.org/t/779572/r2r-multibit-vs-delta-sigma

Oct 3, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #107 of 2,799
+1
Maybe Addicted to Audio will do upgrades in Australia?

I hope so. I'm in Melbourne and A2A is only about a 30 minute drive from my place. Easy enough for me to just drop it off.
  Wonder how much they will sell it for...

Same as what they're selling the uber maybe??

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #108 of 2,799
For reference, my current desktop listening is done via HD600 and Vali/Modi2U from a laptop USB with various cornucopia of files (ranging from 256k through the different FLAC levels).  I am not a file format snob nor do I have golden ears...but I still like shiny new Schiit from time to time.

You won't really know until you listen, but I ordered my upgrade based on a few observations:

1) The cost is a pretty small fraction of what I've paid for audio gear in the last few years.
2) Lots of listener reports on the differences between delta-sigma and R2R DACs on this forum are consistent about the improvements in soundstage and upper midrange from R2R
3) Soundstage size is the main limitation I hear in my current setup (Bifrost Uber > Asgard 2 > MrSpeakers Alpha Primes), even compared with my living room speaker setup (Bel Canto C7R + KEF LS50s; I have no idea what the DAC innards of the Bel Canto are based on, but clarity and soundstage of this compact DAC+amp are remarkable)
4) I listen to lots of live music (mainly jazz, some classical) from front row seats or close, and 3) is my main regret when I hear comparable music on my headphone setup
5) For space reasons, I want to stay with the Bifrost + A2 form factors
6) I listen almost exclusively to lossless (FLAC) from 44.1/16 to 96/24; the relatively few tracks I still have in MP3 or AAC can sound OK for background listening, but there are enough artifacts in the upper midrange on some tracks and lack of soundstage to make me a bit sad when listening to them (example: I'm a Bill Frisell fan, I've listened to him live more times than I can count, I love his records, but there's a harshness in those few that don't have yet lossless that stops me from listening to them). I want a DAC that makes the most out of the lossless music bits I've got (yes, that means that I may go for Gumby or an Yggy when I get the room to put them). Lest you think this is all placebo effect, my wife who pays zero attention to audio gear or compression has walked into the living room and said "this sounds so much better" when I switched to lossless for a familiar track and to better DAC+amps, even though the speakers stay the same.

Oct 4, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #110 of 2,799
  Some fun facts about the AD5547CRUZ DAC used in Bifrost Multibit (for super techies only):

1. It features an integral nonlinearity (INL) plot that's better than +/-0.5LSB. This is a spec they never provide for audio DACs, because (a) it would be terrifying in the case of audio multibit DACs and (b) it is not possible to measure delta-sigma DACs in this way, since the output depends on the preceding and following samples.

2. The THD performance is actually scary good--far better than 16 bits. 16 bit level THD, from a theoretically perfect 16-bit DAC, is -96dB. Most 16 bit DACs from the Jurassic Age of Digital didn't hit this number. The AD5547 is -104dB, much better than 16 bit--and its noise level is down at the 22 bit level. And this is without the deglitching tricks applied to Gungnir Multibit and Yggdrasil.

3. It is a parallel input DAC. As in, the entire 16-bit word has to be written in at once, on 16 separate pins. This is very bizarre, since most DACs are serial in. Just one way that these are NOT easy to use for audio. 

Can someone translate what this man just said!

Oct 4, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #111 of 2,799

I hope so. I'm in Melbourne and A2A is only about a 30 minute drive from my place. Easy enough for me to just drop it off.
Same as what they're selling the uber maybe??

I highly doubt that given that the dollar has depreciated further. The mutlibit gungy is AUD$2129 (USD$1250), so that would mean the multibit Bifrost will be around the $999 mark unfortunately.

Oct 4, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #112 of 2,799
  I highly doubt that given that the dollar has depreciated further. The mutlibit gungy is AUD$2129 (USD$1250), so that would mean the multibit Bifrost will be around the $999 mark unfortunately.

Yeah, you're probably right... Damn Aussie dollar.

Oct 4, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #113 of 2,799
  grrr well this makes me really regret just spending $519 on a Bifrost Uber knowing I now need to spend $250 to upgrade when I could have not bought it and now get the maxed version for $599.....

so I pay like what $769 minus tax and shipping instead of $599 because I bought a few months early. Resale value on the Bifrost Uber just tanked as well with this announcement.

* sigh * Guess I just won't even bother and go cry in a corner

I am totally in the same boat. I bought my Bitfrost Uber a month and a half ago for $520. Now they are selling a newer, better version of the Bifrost for $399 which totally tanks the value of my Bifrost. I have purchased the MB upgrade and am waiting for my RMA, but am not thrilled with what it's going to cost. The whole thing is going to set me back a total of $770, as opposed to $599 for the preinstalled version. I understand that this is just the way it goes with electronics in general, but I can't help feeling bummed that I am paying a premium for the upgrade. When I bought the Uber I thought I was getting the best version of the Bifrost available, now that isn't the case. In order to get the best version I have to spend an additional $250 on top of the $520 I spent on the Uber (which was wasted money, as the Uber upgrade is totally useless now). I feel I was penalized financially for getting the Uber, I would have been better off getting the standard version with USB. The whole thing would be a lot easier to swallow if Schiit offered some sort of rebate or discount on the upgrade if the Bifrost Uber was purchased within a few months of the upgrades being released.

Oct 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #114 of 2,799
I understand your frustration, but Bifrost had been out for a very long time now. With recent Multibit releases like Gungnir it was just a matter of time before Bifrost gets the same treatment. And with the number of cues coming from Schiit and Mike himself... it just made sense to wait.

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #115 of 2,799
  I understand your frustration, but Bifrost had been out for a very long time now. With recent Multibit releases like Gungnir it was just a matter of time before Bifrost gets the same treatment. And with the number of cues coming from Schiit and Mike himself... it just made sense to wait.

I understand what you are saying, but I didn't see much if anything about the MB upgrade until just after I purchased the Uber. I think it was mentioned in the Schiit Story a few weeks ago. From the time it was mentioned to release may have been a few weeks. I understand it's good business for Schiit to try to unload all their remaining Ubers before the release the updates, but a price cut before hand would have been much more customer friendly. Being that the Bifrost is a modular DAC, all remaining Uber stock could have been upgraded by Schiit and then resold at their new retail value.The way it was done feels a bit like a money grab. But shame on me because A) I should have scoured threads to look for clues and hints of a release of upgrades and B) I am willing to go along with it a pay the $770 total it's going to cost for the Bifrost MB.

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #116 of 2,799
  but a price cut before hand would have been much more customer friendly. 

Well, it's been stressed many times they don't do any price cuts, promo sales, etc... Maybe you could try contacting Schiit directly and see if anything can be done to make you feel better?

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #117 of 2,799

Well, it's been stressed many times they don't do any price cuts, promo sales, etc... Maybe you could try contacting Schiit directly and see if anything can be done to make you feel better?

I bought a brand new black Vahalla for $100 less than retail from the clearance section on their site. I have also seen other brand new products sold on clearance on their site. Thank you for the suggestion about contacting them. Schiit like any other company isn't in business to make me feel better, they are in business to make money. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm not thrilled with the way it's being done in this instance.

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #118 of 2,799
The way it was done feels a bit like a money grab.

Do not get this something for nothing mentality. It is a modular system that receives ongoing support and upgrades. To reiterate: an owner only has to pay for an upgrade and does not have to replace the entire system at their own cost, as with every other system on the market. And yet some people still are not happy :rolleyes:

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #119 of 2,799
Do not get this something for nothing mentality. It is a modular system that receives ongoing support and upgrades. To reiterate: an owner only has to pay for an upgrade and does not have to replace the entire system at their own cost, as with every other system on the market. And yet some people still are not happy
rolleyes.gif

Totally understood and it's a good point. The modular nature of the DAC was one of the selling points for me. I am very happy with the performance of the Uber and if I didn't enjoy it so much I wouldn't bother upgrading. It's just in this particular instance I feel that I am paying more than I should. If I had owned the DAC for a year or two I would feel differently without a doubt.

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #120 of 2,799
  I understand what you are saying, but I didn't see much if anything about the MB upgrade until just after I purchased the Uber. I think it was mentioned in the Schiit Story a few weeks ago. From the time it was mentioned to release may have been a few weeks. I understand it's good business for Schiit to try to unload all their remaining Ubers before the release the updates, but a price cut before hand would have been much more customer friendly. Being that the Bifrost is a modular DAC, all remaining Uber stock could have been upgraded by Schiit and then resold at their new retail value.The way it was done feels a bit like a money grab. But shame on me because A) I should have scoured threads to look for clues and hints of a release of upgrades and B) I am willing to go along with it a pay the $770 total it's going to cost for the Bifrost MB.

So, I got my Bifrost Uber not that long ago either, but I really don't understand your argument. The parts and labor that went into building the original Bifrost Uber D/A board cost $B to Schiit. The new boards cost $M. The actual upgrade has additional labor costs $U. So, the D/A portion of the upgraded device costs Schiit $B + $M + $U, while the D/A of a brand new multibit Bifrost costs just $M. Are you suggesting that Schiit should take a loss on the upgrade? When you do a task at work, and then a better way to do it comes up and you redo the task, do you return whatever you were paid for doing the task first time? Just trying to understand your logic, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back