Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Nov 4, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #1,066 of 2,799
I had been experiencing some variability in the "wonderfulness" of my MB experience. Sometimes the same content seemed better than others. I had blamed differences in my perception of the sound at different times during the day.

But today I think I've found at least one repeatable cause for the variability. 16/44 content just sounds better (fuller, more alive) when played directly from iTunes than when played through Audirvana. With Audirvana playback is supposed to be bit perfect with direct mode, integer mode, bypass of core audio (mac os's audio system). I have all up sampling off and audirvana claims to be sending 16/44 to the DAC.

It is almost like content played directly from iTunes is taking more advantage of the MB filter combo burrito filter. But I don't understand why this would be.

Has any one experienced anything like this? And does anyone have an explanation?

For now I guess I'm going to use iTunes when I can and Audirvana only for >16/44.

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #1,068 of 2,799
 I received my Multifrost on Monday here in the U.S. and have the same issue. My buzzing sound sometimes happens only when switching to music files of different sampling rates. When I push the input option button, it goes away. I emailed Schiit today and will see what they say about it. Other than that odd fluke, the multibit upgrade sounds fantastic. 

Received my multibit upgrade today and have the same problem with buzzing/distortion when sample rate changes. Happens with USB and S/PDIF. Any known fixes without having to send back to Schiit?

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #1,069 of 2,799
Received my multibit upgrade today and have the same problem with buzzing/distortion when sample rate changes. Happens with USB and S/PDIF. Any known fixes without having to send back to Schiit?

I had this problem the first time my Bimby took a rate change, but after I power-cycled it, I've not heard the problem again, on USB or S/PDIF.

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #1,070 of 2,799
Thus far the general consensus is to either power cycle the dac (turn it off then back on), and/or mode switch it so that the internal relays are 'exercised' some.

It seems that they need a few cycles to settle in.

JJ

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #1,071 of 2,799
There is no way to turn of the mega combo burrito filter in any Schiit Multibit DAC.  If you have a Bimby, it is not in place when 176.4K or 192K material is played through, a Gumby or Yggy double that.

If you really prefer NOS 44.1/48K stuff, you are far better off with other DACs.  If that is the case, I caution you to make sure said DAC has a true analog Brick Wall filter on board.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 4, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #1,072 of 2,799
I had this problem the first time my Bimby took a rate change, but after I power-cycled it, I've not heard the problem again, on USB or S/PDIF.

Power cycling seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks earnmyturns and johnjen.

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #1,073 of 2,799
RE sampling rate change noise/weirdness in Bimby:  It has just exceeded 1% of user base mentioning this to us as at least an occasional problem.  This means I am now investigating this situation.  Personally, I have six or seven different sources.  Schiit has at least double that, and Dave has two I can think of.  I will now look into this to see if I can cause this to happen in any listening stations I have access to.  If the user problems rise over 1%, in my view the situation becomes worthy of investigation.  I need some time as I have just been sprung from the hospital a few days ago and am a bit slow moving, but well on the road to a good recovery.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 5, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #1,074 of 2,799
  RE sampling rate change noise/weirdness in Bimby:  It has just exceeded 1% of user base mentioning this to us as at least an occasional problem.  This means I am now investigating this situation.  Personally, I have six or seven different sources.  Schiit has at least double that, and Dave has two I can think of.  I will now look into this to see if I can cause this to happen in any listening stations I have access to.  If the user problems rise over 1%, in my view the situation becomes worthy of investigation.  I need some time as I have just been sprung from the hospital a few days ago and am a bit slow moving, but well on the road to a good recovery.

I hope you have a speedy recovery. As someone who is planning on buying a Bimby within the next year, I agree that it can't hurt to look into the situation and it's great that Schiit feels the same. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #1,075 of 2,799
Atomicbob has a working hypothesis that the relays just need some switch cycles before they get fully seated.
I heard the zizz and it went away after power cycling.

It seems to happen on new units, but thus far after a bit of switching the zizz doesn't seem to return.

But it's still early yet.

JJ

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #1,076 of 2,799
I've never experienced this on my upgraded unit. And I switch between sample rates all the time. The only other observation I have is that the relay would sometimes click, just once in a while, when Bifrost is sitting idle.

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #1,077 of 2,799
These relays are 'trick' little units.
They have extremely low resistance, are fairly small, are fairly quick and have a 'happy' sounding click.

The Rok amp has a schiit ton of them and the Jggy and Gumby and of course the Bimby all use these relays.

When I spin my DRC (aka volume control) my Rok goes clickity click like it REALLY means it.

When I first heard the audible zizz riding on top of the music during our recent Gumby vs. Bimby dac-off, I wondered what it was and atomicbob said it seems to be the relays.
When he 'exercised' them, the zizz went away.

Of course all of this is conjecture at this point and I'm sure Professor Mike will investigate thoroughly to find out the details etc.

Still all in all this is a relatively minor issue, especially since, at least thus far, these issues seem to clear themselves with use, that is if they even manifest in the first place.

JJ

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #1,078 of 2,799
There is no way to turn of the mega combo burrito filter in any Schiit Multibit DAC.  If you have a Bimby, it is not in place when 176.4K or 192K material is played through, a Gumby or Yggy double that.

If you really prefer NOS 44.1/48K stuff, you are far better off with other DACs.  If that is the case, I caution you to make sure said DAC has a true analog Brick Wall filter on board.

If you don't mind, your comments leave me with a few questions regarding the Bimby:

- Why isn't the MCB filter present (or needed) at 176 or 192?

- Is upsampling content not at 176 or 192 a function of the MCB filter (or is it done before the MCB filter)?

- So MCB filter isn't in play at 176 & 192, but 44.1 NOS DACs need a Brick Wall filter. Does that mean a Brick Wall isn't needed at higher sampling rates?

- Does Bimby do any simplified filtering at 176 & 192?

Please forgive if my lack of knowledge in this area shows significantly through these questions.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

-Eric

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #1,079 of 2,799
I had the sample rate buzz happen when I first got my Multifrost. After trying everything but power cycling, I finally did just that. Since then, not once have I had the problem return.

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #1,080 of 2,799
Reading all the tech in this thread and stuff that Jason and Mike have put out there about how their Schiit works, only enlightens me that I do not know as much about digital theory as I thought I did. I even took a 400 level college class on Digital Audio Technology as a recording major that included computer technology related to music production and digital audio theory. I guess that stuff did not stick.

It takes a strong man to admit his limitations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back