Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 8, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #361 of 2,799
  Received my Bifrost MB yesterday and left it on for about 24 hours and listening for past hour. It's really close to Gungnir MB and now I'm wondering if I overspent on the Gungnir! 95% of my music is 44/16 lossless, but even my 96/24 tracks sound nearly identical on both. I don't have a full balanced setup with Gungnir so I can only assume that's where I will hear a difference, but for SE setups the Bifrost is an absolute steal! I may change my opinion once my Liquid Carbon arrives so I can try balanced.

Overall I think the entire line of R2R DACs from Schiit are redefining the long standing advice to upgrade headphone/speakers first. Since the vast majority of music is in digital form, I think people should reconsider upgrading their DAC first, then headphones.

Very glad to hear this (and would be listening if I hadn't missed the FedEx guy). It was my plan to replace my Gungnir MB in my speaker system with this, my speaker system being single-ended throughout. It is also my plan to eventually use the Cavalli Liquid Carbon in my headphone system. I am currently using a Schiit Mjolnir.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #362 of 2,799
Multi dac does sound definitely more vinyl than delta sigma dacs. Definitely a welcome especially for a Grado owner.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #363 of 2,799
  Ok, first impressions cold out of the box....

Moar bass, greater sense of impact at lower volumes, much less digital hash (and I never thought the Bifrost Uber had an issue in this regard), greater sense of space, and lovely decay of instruments. This is using Mac Mini, Wyrd, Lyr 2, and HE-500. As an example, on the latest album by Low in the second song there is a repetitive smashing of a cymbal (I think it's a cymbal). Before I didn't like listening to it and would usually skip the song to save my ears. With Bimby instead of sounding like aggressive digital hash it was pretty nice. I could hear more details with no ear pain. That so far is the most stand-out impression I've had in the first 15 minutes. Lovely. 

I'd say it's worth the $250 upgrade...even if it doesn't get better after warming up. 

I like what you're saying !!!!!!!!!!!  Can't wait to hear more as the deliveries happen.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #364 of 2,799
Even if you are not a fan of classic jazz, a 24/96 version of "Jazz at the Pawnshop" really highlight the beauty of the new Schiit DACs.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #365 of 2,799

I have an MB at Home... I had a hard time leaving home the past 2 days. Wait rmoody coughed on me earlier i suddenly feel lightheaded and... I May have The Ebola,  I am self quarantining for 3 weeks to save Humanity. rmoody once your delivery has arrived I suggest you do the same.

Received my Bifrost MB yesterday and left it on for about 24 hours and listening for past hour. It's really close to Gungnir MB and now I'm wondering if I overspent on the Gungnir! 95% of my music is 44/16 lossless, but even my 96/24 tracks sound nearly identical on both. I don't have a full balanced setup with Gungnir so I can only assume that's where I will hear a difference, but for SE setups the Bifrost is an absolute steal! I may change my opinion once my Liquid Carbon arrives so I can try balanced.

Overall I think the entire line of R2R DACs from Schiit are redefining the long standing advice to upgrade headphone/speakers first. Since the vast majority of music is in digital form, I think people should reconsider upgrading their DAC first, then headphones.

I have the same impression, after upgrading my Gungnir to the MB technology.  Realized the DAC was the weakest link in my rigs.  The question, now, is where to look next?

Enjoy the music,
RCB

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #366 of 2,799
Got my box sitting with me at my desk.  Will fire it up tonight.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #367 of 2,799
My Bifrost MB has been warming up and overall I think it's getting better.  Bass seems tighter than the Theta, maybe not as much quantity but better quality (less bloom). More expansive soundstage and keeps you addicted to your audio rig. I have found a replacement for the Theta. Time to retire it.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #368 of 2,799
  My Bifrost MB has been warming up and overall I think it's getting better.  Bass seems tighter than the Theta, maybe not as much quantity but better quality (less bloom). More expansive soundstage and keeps you addicted to your audio rig. I have found a replacement for the Theta. Time to retire it.

That is similar to my experience - when I did a sound check right after initial power up, I thought the low mids and bass were a bit loose and boomy and the treble was a little harsh. Both cleaned up nicely after 24 hours. But even with cold start, you get a sense of what this DAC can do.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #369 of 2,799

I have the same impression, after upgrading my Gungnir to the MB technology.  Realized the DAC was the weakest link in my rigs.  The question, now, is where to look next?

Enjoy the music,
RCB

Not looking anywhere right now i am doing as you  said  enjoying the music. On a 2 Ch the imaging and sound stage is very good. I had to turn my volume level down.. Had it up with the Modi 2 U

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #370 of 2,799

Not looking anywhere right now i am doing as you  said  enjoying the music. On a 2 Ch the imaging and sound stage is very good. I had to turn my volume level down.. Had it up with the Modi 2 U

That's probably mainly because the Bifrost has a 2.0V output and the Modi 2U only has a 1.5V output.

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #371 of 2,799

That is similar to my experience - when I did a sound check right after initial power up, I thought the low mids and bass were a bit loose and boomy and the treble was a little harsh. Both cleaned up nicely after 24 hours. But even with cold start, you get a sense of what this DAC can do.

I get the sense that all the components in the board have reached an optimal temperature. I am only like 3 or 4 hours burned at my desktop but I'd imagine it might improve even more as I keep it on longer.

I just love the sound of it, has a slightly larger soundstage than the Theta but a more neutral and less boomy presentation. Personal preferences might suggest that the Theta sounds more tubey and warm and even be preferable. Bifrost MB is the little brother to the Theta DS Pro Progeny A by design and heritage. Welcome to the family
smily_headphones1.gif

family picture

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #372 of 2,799

So Bifrost MB's soundstage beats progeny? Dang. You've sold me on the upgrade.

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #373 of 2,799
My bimby is home and back where she belongs. I've just finished replacing the damnable AT&T modem, it's off to listen now with an adult beverage.

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #374 of 2,799
Here's a good sign I really like this DAC. I had to look back behind the RCA cables and check to see if it was plugged in cause it sounds like the Theta. Never did that happen when I listened to the Bifrost Uber.

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #375 of 2,799

I get the sense that all the components in the board have reached an optimal temperature. I am only like 3 or 4 hours burned at my desktop but I'd imagine it might improve even more as I keep it on longer.

I just love the sound of it, has a slightly larger soundstage than the Theta but a more neutral and less boomy presentation. Personal preferences might suggest that the Theta sounds more tubey and warm and even be preferable. Bifrost MB is the little brother to the Theta DS Pro Progeny A by design and heritage. Welcome to the family
smily_headphones1.gif

family picture

Nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back