Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 8, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #346 of 2,799

Maybe someone can check to see if it "fixes" any of the older Muse releases?

Name the album and I'll give it a listen
smile.gif

Really anything besides the latest (which I don't care for much). They all sound pretty congested and flat on a Bifrost Uber. But If I had to pick, anything off of Absolution or Black Holes and Revelations would be ideal.
Thanks!!!

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #347 of 2,799
I'm listening to it cold out of the box and I'm loving every minute of it. I hear more detail and speed in the high frequency than the Theta but none of that digital sound of the Uber.

The soundstage was the biggest difference. No more claustrophobic Uber soundstage and back to the massive Theta combo burrito soundstage. Although the Bifrost MB has you sitting another row or two back, but in a good way. Theta was actually beat in soundstage size so far (10 minutes of warm up Bifrost MB)

Right out of the box it sounds very natural and neutral at the same time. No doubt in my mind though that right away this chip is more accurate than the 18-bit one in my Theta. The Theta comes across as more fuzzier in the upper detail but still very convincing. I am having to get adjusted to this more neutral sound than the Theta. I still think the Theta has a more pleasing bass response but the cold Bifrost MB is awfully close and I'm hoping will pull through and win there. (hard to beat two transformers of the Theta though)

If you have an Uber get the upgrade right away. You will hear what all the fuss is about!

This has been the review I was waiting for. Thanks @wahsmoh. My friend has a progeny too and, wow, it is damn good. Definitely miles ahead of my bifrost. Cohesive, is the one word I would use to describe it.

Hearing your impressions about the bifrost MB vs progeny makes me feel comfortable in upgrading and that I can too, have the theta sound in my chain. If any more impressions do come up, please let me know!

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #348 of 2,799

I know what you're talking about.  I also have every Muse CD so I can do some testing tomorrow night.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #349 of 2,799

I know what you're talking about.  I also have every Muse CD so I can do some testing tomorrow night.

Thanks. I'm not expecting miracles but have always thought that they should have found a new producer/recording engineer after the first release.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #350 of 2,799
Mine just arrived. I'm listening to it now. I concur with everyone's impression. It's less grainy and edgy. It's more natural and smoother with more detail, space and decay. 
Just a question though. I have an optical only but I thought the Multibit Upgrade would include the 2nd Gen USB input? 

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #351 of 2,799
  Mine just arrived. I'm listening to it now. I concur with everyone's impression. It's less grainy and edgy. It's more natural and smoother with more detail, space and decay. 
Just a question though. I have an optical only but I thought the Multibit Upgrade would include the 2nd Gen USB input? 

Only the new Bimbos have USB included.. Sorry.

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #353 of 2,799

Yes, only new factory Bifrost come by default with USB. You can still order and install the USB card yourself.

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #357 of 2,799
Finally made it through this thread.  Thanks for all the impressions thus far.  Very promising.  With a couple NASes to rebuild and copy data all over the place this weekend, I can wait 'til Monday before my fun begins.

Quick question that I didn't see: is it best to leave the MultiFrost running 24/7?  If I do turn it off, what's a good warm up time?  I usually shut down my Stack o' Schiit to help with tube life, unless I'm burning in a pair, and I usually let the Lyr run for 15 min. or more before I start listening, having turned on the Bifrost at the same time.  Just wondering about best practices for the MultiFrost.

Thanks.

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #358 of 2,799
  Finally made it through this thread.  Thanks for all the impressions thus far.  Very promising.  With a couple NASes to rebuild and copy data all over the place this weekend, I can wait 'til Monday before my fun begins.

Quick question that I didn't see: is it best to leave the MultiFrost running 24/7?  If I do turn it off, what's a good warm up time?  I usually shut down my Stack o' Schiit to help with tube life, unless I'm burning in a pair, and I usually let the Lyr run for 15 min. or more before I start listening, having turned on the Bifrost at the same time.  Just wondering about best practices for the MultiFrost.

Thanks.

I just keep my DACs on 24x7 and turn off Asgard 2 for the night. Heard Schiit is doing the same with their own equipment (per tech support response).

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #359 of 2,799
Received my Bifrost MB yesterday and left it on for about 24 hours and listening for past hour. It's really close to Gungnir MB and now I'm wondering if I overspent on the Gungnir! 95% of my music is 44/16 lossless, but even my 96/24 tracks sound nearly identical on both. I don't have a full balanced setup with Gungnir so I can only assume that's where I will hear a difference, but for SE setups the Bifrost is an absolute steal! I may change my opinion once my Liquid Carbon arrives so I can try balanced.

Overall I think the entire line of R2R DACs from Schiit are redefining the long standing advice to upgrade headphone/speakers first. Since the vast majority of music is in digital form, I think people should reconsider upgrading their DAC first, then headphones.

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #360 of 2,799
I was wondering about warmup times myself, but I think I'll stick to my practice of turning on my DAC in the morning for later listening. That is unless experimenting with 24/7 running sounds better. :bigsmile_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back