Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Oct 21, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #316 of 1,112
I have just bought a SOtM sMS-200. It is a BIG jump i SQ coming from a labtop. Compared the SOtM to the MicroRendu and they are very close. I also had the SOtM sMS 200 Ultra on loan. It is quite a bit better but not the extra 1.000 USD better.

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #317 of 1,112
Both Blue Jeans and Ram recommend the same cable, Belden 1694F with Canare RCAP-C53 Connectors:
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm
https://www.ramelectronics.net/cda.aspx

But if you are stacking I would look at the Blue Jeans Belden 1505F option because it is much more flexible and only a dollar more, and if the length is only 1ft or so the performance differences won't matter.

Thanks a lot for the links.

From the Blue Jeans link you provided, which connectors should we choose for working between Eitr and Bimby - RCA/RCA, RCA/BNC, BNC/BNC, or something else?

I remember that Coax has different impedance than RCA. So we should choose Coax instead of RCA, right? But the problem is that Coax is not in the list.

Oct 27, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #318 of 1,112

From the Blue Jeans link you provided, which connectors should we choose for working between Eitr and Bimby - RCA/RCA, RCA/BNC, BNC/BNC, or something else?

I remember that Coax has different impedance than RCA. So we should choose Coax instead of RCA, right? But the problem is that Coax is not in the list.
Output from the Eitr is RCA. The Yggy and Gumby have BNC inputs, but for Bimby and Mimby you need RCA.

I would go with 1ft of the 1505F if you're stacking, or the 1694A if you're running a longer cable. And don't worry the impedance is fine for digital.

I also like Audioholics snake oil & myth busting articles:
http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/the-truth-about-interconnects-and-cables

Oct 27, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #319 of 1,112

RCA & BNC are the plugs and Coaxial is the cable standard. The "Belden 1694A Digital Audio Cable" is the one you want. It's a Coax cable with both RCA plugs.

Nov 9, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #322 of 1,112
I have a DAC that uses the Amanero driver...From reading this thread its my understanding that you need a different driver to get the Eitr to do its thing.

Would my DAC still work w/o Amanero installed? I asked Schiit but they dont respond.

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #323 of 1,112
Don't know what Amanero is, but drivers are for USB input. Once Eitr has converted this to SPDIF, drivers are neither here nor there. Or am I missing something?

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #325 of 1,112
Nov 9, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #326 of 1,112
Yes,used for the Audio GD R2R-11
I don't understand, if you're going into the SPDIF input of an Audio GD R2R-11, you should be able to stream music files from your music player software straight out of your PC via it's USB port to Eitr, then via RCA digital coax to the SPDIF port of the DAC. What does the Amanero USB driver have to do with it? Sorry, confused.

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #327 of 1,112
I don't understand, if you're going into the SPDIF input of an Audio GD R2R-11, you should be able to stream music files from your music player software straight out of your PC via it's USB port to Eitr, then via RCA digital coax to the SPDIF port of the DAC. What does the Amanero USB driver have to do with it? Sorry, confused.

No,im the confused one...I honestly have no idea how the Eitr operates...so essentially once the USB is taken out of the equation by the Eitr and the signal is passed down the line to the DAC via coax the Amanaro is no longer needed....Correct?

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #328 of 1,112
No,im the confused one...I honestly have no idea how the Eitr operates...so essentially once the USB is taken out of the equation by the Eitr and the signal is passed down the line to the DAC via coax the Amanaro is no longer needed....Correct?
Hi Monsterzero (great handle, BTW! :D). Yes, that's correct. You won't need a USB driver for your DAC if you use Eitr; that is the whole point of using it; to not utilize the poor, noisy USB port/interfaces present in most DACs! :wink: You simply need to connect a USB cable from your PC to Eitr, and then run a digital RCA coax cable from Eitr to your GD DAC's SPDIF RCA port. No USB driver is involved. I don't know what music player software you're using, but my guess is its JRiver, or something similar.

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #329 of 1,112
thank you!

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #330 of 1,112
thank you!
You're welcome. Yeah, I looked up a picture of your DAC; you only need to go into the port labeled "Coaxial" on your GD DAC with an RCA coax cable. It's right under the USB B plug port. Be sure to use a proper 75 ohm SPDIF RCA digital coax cable; it will sound notably better! :wink:

Cheers, mate! :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back