Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Oct 17, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #302 of 1,112
Alright, after several weeks in the system, the Eitr should have settled.

Now, though I was loathe to do it, I listened on phones to several tracks, switching between going directly from the microRendu via USB to the Yggdrasils gen3 input, and inserting the Eitr between the two.

Despite the mR and Yggdrasils strengths I am hearing a consistent change in sq with the Eitr in the chain.

The overall result is a more solid image, dimension and weighty tonal character. Very pleasing for me. And totally subjective.

This is using the Anticables reference USB cable and a Wireworld digital coax cable. I suspect with a higher quality digital interconnect this would improve some.

Oct 17, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #303 of 1,112
Does anyone know of any software tools that analyze USB audio streams to determine quality of signal? The Eitr seems like a product that would make a significant difference on one computer, less so on another computer or digital player. I'd like to have some idea if my equipment would benefit from the Eitr, but I don't know how to measure it. Jitter is also something that could easily be intermittent coming out of a computer.

Alternately, I understand that the simplest solution is to order one, doing a bunch of A/B listening tests and return it if I don't hear a difference. That is certainly true, but requires a significant time commitment.

Oct 17, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #304 of 1,112
I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Here is a very reasonably priced product that I have not read one negative review or post about. Where is the significant time commitment and what are you comparing it against? I replaced a (highly rated) Yellowtec PUC2 Lite converter with the Eitr and heard the improvement instantly. Use your ears.

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #305 of 1,112
Yes, I have very average (or below) ears and I immediately heard the lower noise floor, lack of any buzz, and general clean signal with the Eitr through my Modi M.

If you have a very good USB filter/re-clocker you might not hear a huge difference, but if you are using USB it's safe to say the Eitr will improve the sound!

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #306 of 1,112
If you don't get it, don't stress about it. I asked a simple question. I'm curious in general about such tools, and today it is in regard to the Eitr. It takes time for me to set up an A/B controlled test in my life right now. Just a fact. Maybe I'm in the wrong forum.

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #307 of 1,112
If you don't get it, don't stress about it. I asked a simple question. I'm curious in general about such tools, and today it is in regard to the Eitr. It takes time for me to set up an A/B controlled test in my life right now. Just a fact. Maybe I'm in the wrong forum.
My recommendation would be to just order it, put it into your system, and forget about doing an A/B. Just enjoy the music! (you will, it sounds fantastic).

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #308 of 1,112
Does anyone know of any software tools that analyze USB audio streams to determine quality of signal? The Eitr seems like a product that would make a significant difference on one computer, less so on another computer or digital player. I'd like to have some idea if my equipment would benefit from the Eitr, but I don't know how to measure it. Jitter is also something that could easily be intermittent coming out of a computer.

Alternately, I understand that the simplest solution is to order one, doing a bunch of A/B listening tests and return it if I don't hear a difference. That is certainly true, but requires a significant time commitment.
With all due respect, I think you're overanalyzing this. Life's too short...just get one, call it a day and enjoy some beautiful music.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #309 of 1,112
With all due respect, I think you're overanalyzing this. Just get one, call it a day and enjoy some beautiful music.
Alright, after several weeks in the system, the Eitr should have settled.

Now, though I was loathe to do it, I listened on phones to several tracks, switching between going directly from the microRendu via USB to the Yggdrasils gen3 input, and inserting the Eitr between the two.

Despite the mR and Yggdrasils strengths I am hearing a consistent change in sq with the Eitr in the chain.

The overall result is a more solid image, dimension and weighty tonal character. Very pleasing for me. And totally subjective.

This is using the Anticables reference USB cable and a Wireworld digital coax cable. I suspect with a higher quality digital interconnect this would improve some.
Yep, it's a killer product!

Oct 18, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #310 of 1,112
Yep, it's a killer product!

I agree. Those with a Schiit DAC must either go GEN 5 or buy the EITR. For $150-175 you can't go wrong it will increase the SQ more than with any other product in that price range. It is simply a mandatory step.

But not final of course.

Oct 19, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #311 of 1,112
When I initially received My Eitr A month ago I did note that It cleaned up All my noise Issues I was having With the USB connection From my iMac The cable I was using Was a cheap cable I picked up from Amazon So I decided to Buy a blue jeans cable And as soon as I plugged it in today I noticed A definite increase in soundstage That I did not hear With the cheap Amazon cable It's like a completely New experience today I love it even more.
This is the cable https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #312 of 1,112
I agree. Those with a ******* DAC must either go GEN 5 or buy the EITR. For $150-175 you can't go wrong it will increase the SQ more than with any other product in that price range. It is simply a mandatory step.

But not final of course.
FIFY. Put Eitr ahead of your DAC, Schiit or no Schiit.

I use my Marantz PM-7005 integrated amp's built-in DAC and WOW the difference is amazing now that Eitr has settled in. The detail retrieval is jaw-dropping sometimes, and all traces of digital sheen are gone. Sounds like end-game to me (but please, nobody tell my wife I said that).

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #313 of 1,112
When I initially received My Eitr A month ago I did note that It cleaned up All my noise Issues I was having With the USB connection From my iMac The cable I was using Was a cheap cable I picked up from Amazon So I decided to Buy a blue jeans cable And as soon as I plugged it in today I noticed A definite increase in soundstage That I did not hear With the cheap Amazon cable It's like a completely New experience today I love it even more.

I just replaced a Monoprice coaxial cable between the Eitr and Mimby with a one foot length of the flexible Belden 1505F from Blue Jeans (in the same order, I also got replacement RCA cables). I've only had a chance to listen briefly since I received them yesterday, but I did seem to notice a small improvement in SQ, though it may well be the placebo effect. As to the Eitr, I got it about two months ago and it was the single most noticeable improvement since i got on this upgrade merry-go-round about a year ago. Great product. (And so popular that it is now backordered on the Schiit site until just after Thanksgiving.)

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #314 of 1,112
I just replaced a Monoprice coaxial cable between the Eitr and Mimby with a one foot length of the flexible Belden 1505F from Blue Jeans (in the same order, I also got replacement RCA cables). I've only had a chance to listen briefly since I received them yesterday, but I did seem to notice a small improvement in SQ, though it may well be the placebo effect. As to the Eitr, I got it about two months ago and it was the single most noticeable improvement since i got on this upgrade merry-go-round about a year ago. Great product. (And so popular that it is now backordered on the Schiit site until just after Thanksgiving.)
I am using the schiit USB cable and the schiit RCA cables with my setup.

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #315 of 1,112
Now that I’m enjoying my Eitr with my already existing very good USB & digital Coaxial cables. I’m still wondering if an upgrade of my source from an older Mac Mini (with linear power supply) to an UltraRendu (again with LPS) would be worth it?

I mean if the difference is so small that it can only be heard during A/B testing .. then I’m fine with keeping my setup as is

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back