Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Nov 9, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #331 of 1,112
So i need a RCA>RCA coax cable to work,if so can you suggest a good one?

Thank you!
You're welcome. Yeah, I looked up a picture of your DAC; you only need to go into the port labeled "Coaxial" on your GD DAC with an RCA coax cable. It's right under the USB B plug port. Be sure to use a proper 75 ohm SPDIF RCA digital coax cable; it will sound notably better! :wink:

Cheers, mate! :D

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #333 of 1,112
LOL,that bad huh?

Im not going to drop 3 digits on a coax cable,perhaps i wont be squeezing every ounce of SQ out of my system,but its a principles(and empty wallet)issue.Not to mention a slippery slope that my S.O. will surely kill me for.

TL;DR
under 100.00

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #335 of 1,112
Thank you fine sir!

Nov 9, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #336 of 1,112
I'm not a great believer in expensive cables (or in super cheap ones either). I have the flexible Belden digital cable from Blue Jeans to connect from the Eitr to a stacked Mimby; $17.75 plus shipping ($5 or $6 for USPS Priority) for a one foot run. The non-flexible Belden is about a buck less and I believe has slightly better performance, but the difference should be negligible in a short run. It works great.

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #337 of 1,112
I'm not a great believer in expensive cables (or in super cheap ones either). I have the flexible Belden digital cable from Blue Jeans to connect from the Eitr to a stacked Mimby; $17.75 plus shipping ($5 or $6 for USPS Priority) for a one foot run. The non-flexible Belden is about a buck less and I believe has slightly better performance, but the difference should be negligible in a short run. It works great.

I do not doubt that quality cables can make a difference in SQ...The issue i have is that all my other cables arent what anyone would call audiophile grade stuff.Theyre not bottom of the barrel Walmart specials,but not expensive grade either.Knowing myself if I ended up getting a high-end cable for this part of my system(and I have 3 systems)then I'd want to upgrade every other interconnect too,and that will add up quickly.

As a broke dude in a rich mans hobby I have to pick and choose my battles.

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #338 of 1,112
Thank you fine sir!
Y
Given there cables that cost thousands of dollars, "expensive" is a relative term, as is "belief". :wink: I just gave Monsterzero a recommendation for a good-sounding cable under $100 as that's what he provided as his budget cap. Am I of the view that the Audioquest cable I recommended will sound better than an $18 Belden cable? Yes. But, respectfully, I'm not going to open up another Pandora's Box regarding cables (for the umpteenth time). Cheers!

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #339 of 1,112
So I just bought the Eitr to supplement it with my R2R-11 DAC/amp because I'm having an issue with some subtle rattling going on when running the dacamp through my PC (works fine with my Android phones). I thought the Eitr will provide cleaner signals to the R2R-11. I haven't had any experience with coax/SPDIF in general, so I want to know if this cheapo generic coax cable would be fine with the Eitr. Any response would be much appreciated.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #340 of 1,112
It should be fine, but if you do get some EFI issues, I'd try a better shielded cable like from Wireworld (I use their Silver Starlight 7 cable)

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #341 of 1,112
Digital coax cable discussion is the most popular topic on the Eitr Review thread lol:
Both Blue Jeans and Ram recommend the same cable, Belden 1694F with Canare RCAP-C53 Connectors:
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm
https://www.ramelectronics.net/cda.aspx

But if you are stacking I would look at the Blue Jeans Belden 1505F option because it is much more flexible and only a dollar more, and if the length is only 1ft or so the performance differences won't matter.

If you're stacking the Eitr get a 1ft Bleden 1505F from https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm (if you need a longer cable buy the Belden 1694A version.)

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #342 of 1,112
Digital coax cable discussion is the most popular topic on the Eitr Review thread lol:

If you're stacking the Eitr get a 1ft Bleden 1505F from https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm (if you need a longer cable buy the Belden 1694A version.)
Thanks for the link. Sorry for a noob question, what connector option should I choose for the 1694A? Is it RCA/RCA?

EDIT: I figured it out. It's indeed the RCA/RCA. What a noob.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #344 of 1,112
I have a question that hopefully someone in this thread will have an answer to.

I currently use an iPad plugged into a Wyrd (CCK + USB connector), then into a Bifrost. When I connect the iPad directly to the Bifrost, i get an error message telling me that the Bifrost is not self-powered and that the iPad cannot send the signal to it. It is a well-known issue that is fixed by connecting the iPad to the Wyrd first. Since I intend to switch from the Wyrd to an Eitr, does anyone know if using an apple device with CCK connected to the Eitr will be recognized properly like it is with the Wyrd or if I'll face the same problem when connecting directly into the Bifrost.

Logically, it should act the same way as with the Wyrd, but you never know. Thanks ahead, if anyone knows the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back