Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Sep 1, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #76 of 1,112
Before using the Eitr I was using a Yellowtec PUC2 lite which is a USB to AES converter. The Eitr is an improvement, but I wanted to try going back to using the AES input on my Yggy. So to convert the Eitr's SPDIF to AES I purchased a Neutrik female BNC to male AES converter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/263091619828 and a female RCA to male BNC adaptor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VK8IEI/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

With just a quick listen the sound quality is at least as good or a subtle touch better as it was with RCA SPDIF. If I say better it is because it seemed a subtle touch louder. I just have a phone sound meter app, so I don't know if I will be able to prove it. Is it possible that the Yggy's AES input might have slightly higher gain than the SPDIF inputs?

Sep 2, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #77 of 1,112
Is there any benefit to using Eitr instead of my motherboard S/PDIF header?

I have a small asus add in board that connects to the internal S/PDIF header on my mobo and provides toslink and coaxial.

Mobo: asus sabertooth z97 mk1

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #78 of 1,112
Hi folks, I've had my Eitr for about a month now so I thought I would post some impressions/experiences for the gang...

I should at this point clarify that I am using a loudspeaker system, not headphones: Conrad-Johnson CT-5 preamp, Conrad-Johnson LP70S stereo power amp, Michell Gyro SE turntable with SME V arm and Koestu Urushi Vermilion cartridge, E.A.R. 324 phono stage, Shunyata Triton power distribution with compelete Shunyata power cords, Sonore microRendu USB streamer, Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC and Schiit Eitr USB/SPDIF convertor as my interim digital setup while my Gungnir is away getting upgraded (see below). All Audioquest Columbia or Colorado interconnects, and Dynaudio Contour S3.4 with Dynaudio Esotar 2 tweeter upgrade (the best soft-dome tweeter on the planet).

Main%20System.jpg

I originally bought Eitr for use with my Gungnir while I waited in the queue to be able to send it in for a Gen 5 USB and Multibit upgrade. One of the reasons for the Gen 5 upgrade is that I had a USB port/controller failure on Gungnir after disconnecting and reconnecting my Sonore microRendu when I moved the Mac Mini out of the stereo rack to move it into the bedroom in the other part of the house to get rid of all the high-bandwidth computer processor noise emanating from the Mac Mini (and sitting next to the stereo amplifiers; computers put out a crapload of noise).

After moving the Mac Mini out, the USB port on the Gungnir simply would not work anymore, at all. The DAC would not even show up when directy connected to a computer USB port. I attribute this mostly likely to a static electricity-charge induced failure.

So, I placed an order for a Gen 5 USB and Multibit upgrade, pulled the Gungnir out of the rack, and I put my Modi 2 Uber into the system and it works fine with the Sonore.

But, I wasn't that overly thrilled with the sound. Obviously, while the Modi 2 Uber is a good DAC, it does not sound as good as a Gungnir. It was acceptable; good, but certainly not great, it has a somewhat thin, dry & sterile presentation of the music compared to Gungnir, with a smaller soundstage (and nowhere near as good Loki, I might add, FWIW).

Then, Eitr got released. I figured, hmmm, I could use Eitr with it's Gen 5 USB/SPDIF conversion functionality and connect via the SPDIF input on Gungnir while I wait in queue. So, I ordered it, and when Eitr arrived, I hooked it up to the SPDIF input of Gungnir using a single Zu Wylde RCA interconnect.

My digital music chain at this point was: Mac Mini sending files from Roon wirelessly over wi-fi > Airport Express in the stereo rack > Ethenet Cat 5>Sonore microRendu > Eitr > Zu Wylde RCA "analog" interconnect cable > Gungnir SPDIF input > C-J amplification chain. Well, it sounded pretty darn good, and more importantly, my Gungnir was back in business while I waited in queue. Cool.

Meantime, I ordered an open-box Shunyata RCA terminated SPDIF 75 ohm digital cable. Once I got that, I replaced the Zu Wylde regular RCA analogue interconnect with the Shunyata 75 ohm digital coax SPDIF cable.

So now, my chain was this: Mac Mini/Roon > Airport Express > Sonore microRendu > Eitr > Shunyata Venom 75 ohm SPDIF digital coax> Gungnir SPDIF input.

Another NOTABLE improvement: with the Shunyata 75-ohm digital cable the sound quality was smoother, sweeter, more dimensional and more full-sounding than with the Zu cable, quite noticebly so. Soooo, now we're actually cookin' with gas...the system sounded VERY good and most importantly, my Gungnir was back in the system and performing to it's full potential. In fact, Eitr using a good SPDIF digital coax cable sounded notably better than the original direct (Gen 2) USB input on Gungnir.

So, I used this confiuguration until I got the email this week from the fine folks at Schiit to send in my Gungnir for my upgrades, which I did yesterday. I just put my Modi 2 Uber back into the system, but this time I used it in conjunction with Eitr and the Shunyata digital cable.

Okaayyy...using the SPDIF input on Modi 2 Uber in conjunction with Eitr takes this setup up quite a notch, IMHO. The musical presentation is now more natural, more full-bodied, sweeter-sounding, less sterile, and quieter than using the USB input only on Modi 2 Uber. NOT as good as Gungnir, but really quite good, impressively so when you consider what Eitr brings to the table for what it cost, and good enough that I can live with this easily until my Gungnir gets back from it's upgrades.

So, bottom line...Eitr is a WINNER. Either used with Gungnir in place the stock Gen 2 USB, or with Modi 2 Uber in place of USB (AFAIK, Modi 2 Uber does not utilize the Gen 5 USB implementation), Eitr brings a notable improvement in sound quality and a more enjoyable and engaging musical experience. BIG thumbs up from me.

Hope this mini-review is helpful to the community.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #79 of 1,112
Puma Cat - Thanks for the Eitr report. Glad it is working for you. Have a Gungnir MB myself used in a speaker-based system (Totem Forests). Have been using for some time a MF V-Link 192 USB>SPDIF converter from Aries Mini into the Gungnir via Black Cat Silverstar 75. Very interesting to read experiences with Eitr since I'm thinking about getting one as replacement for the V-Link. Not sure WHAT Gen USB the V-Link represents. Have to say though, at the present time things are sounding very good...esp. since getting the MB upgrade for the Gungnir. I see you are also getting the MB upgrade aong with the 5th Gen USB. That MB upgrade was probably the best $500 spent on my system. Upgrade doesn't do it justice relative to the change associated it. Like a different DAC (and all for the better). Hope you enjoy yours as much. Good luck.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #80 of 1,112
Puma Cat - Thanks for the Eitr report. Glad it is working for you. Have a Gungnir MB myself used in a speaker-based system (Totem Forests). Right now using a MF V-Link 192 USB>SPDIF converter from Aries Mini into the Gungnir via Black Cat Silverstar 75. Very interesting to read experiences with Eitr since am thinking about getting one as replacement for the V-Link. Not sure WHAT Gen USB the V-Link represents. Have to say though, at the present time things are sounding very good...esp. since getting the MB upgrade for the Gungnir. Are you also getting the MB upgrade done or had you already had that done? For myself, probably the best $500 spent on my system. If you can swing it, I'd urge you to consider getting it while the unit is "in the shop". Good luck.

HI Ghosthouse, yes, I am getting the Multibit upgrade along wth the Gen 5 USB upgrade. Looking forward to it.

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #82 of 1,112
Hey PC - I missed that you were getting the MB upgrade on the first read of your post. Went back and edited my reply once I saw your were getting it. Money well spent I think.

Yes, I heard the Gungnir Multibit upgrade at the CA Audio Show in July; it was pretty clear how good it sounded, that's why I opted for it when I needed to send the Gungnir in for the Gen 5 USB upgrade (which I needed to do as the USB port or controller failed anyway). Figured on killing two birds with one stone...

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #83 of 1,112
Hey PC - I missed that you were getting the MB upgrade on the first read of your post. Went back and edited my reply once I saw your were getting it. Money well spent I think.
BTW, how long did it take for your Multibit upgrade to burn in? When I read Robert Harley's review in Absolute Sound of Yggy, he let it burn in for a full month (30 days) before reviewing it. The Shunyata person at the CA Audio Show said the Gungnir Multibit just needs to be turned on to burn in, it does not need to be pulling and processing digital files (unlike the Teflon caps in my C-J gear, which only burn in when actually playing music; they take FOREVER to burn in; at least 1000 hours). My original 1st gen Bifrost took a good 300-400 hours to burn in; it changed considerably (for the better) over that time.

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #84 of 1,112
Puma - I'd be lying if I said I could remember with any certainty. If I had to guess, I'd say several dozen hours actual playing time...so maybe 50/60 hours???. A guess. I might have run through it (on repeat) for a few days Track 9 (burn in track) ripped from the XLO Reference CD. I also left it powered up all the time too (still do). I remember the Gungnir when first purchased some years ago took a LONG time to open up. Sounded very dark and rolled off for what might have been a couple hundred hours. Again, a wild guess. BUT, my point in relaying that is I don't think the MB upgrade took nearly as long to open up as the new Gungnir had. Hope that's helpful.
Bottom line - whatever it sounds like when you first get it: Just play music and be patient. :)

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #85 of 1,112
Puma - I'd be lying if I said I could remember with any certainty. If I had to guess, I'd say several dozen hours actual playing time...so maybe 50/60 hours???. A guess. I might have run through it (on repeat) for a few days Track 9 (burn in track) ripped from the XLO Reference CD. I also left it powered up all the time too (still do). I remember the Gungnir when first purchased some years ago took a LONG time to open up. Sounded very dark and rolled off for what might have been a couple hundred hours. Again, a wild guess. BUT, my point in relaying that is I don't think the MB upgrade took nearly as long to open up as the new Gungnir had. Hope that's helpful.
Bottom line - whatever it sounds like when you first get it: Just play music and be patient. :)

Yes, that's very helpful; thank you. I also figured that the burn-in woud be shorter than the Gungnir itself; it often is the main circuitry and caps in the power supply that have to burn in. The amount of time it took the Teflon caps in my C-J CT-5 preamp was ridiculous; it took over 2 years to burn in.

Cheers,
Stephen

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #86 of 1,112
Before using the Eitr I was using a Yellowtec PUC2 lite which is a USB to AES converter. The Eitr is an improvement, but I wanted to try going back to using the AES input on my Yggy. So to convert the Eitr's SPDIF to AES I purchased a Neutrik female BNC to male AES converter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/263091619828 and a female RCA to male BNC adaptor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VK8IEI/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

With just a quick listen the sound quality is at least as good or a subtle touch better as it was with RCA SPDIF. If I say better it is because it seemed a subtle touch louder. I just have a phone sound meter app, so I don't know if I will be able to prove it. Is it possible that the Yggy's AES input might have slightly higher gain than the SPDIF inputs?

I now know the difference in sound between SPDIF and AES. The AES seems every so slightly louder because it is clearer. Details stand out more. So at first hearing it appears that it is louder. No, it's just better. The sound is sharper in a good way. So no matter what DDC is used, AES is still the best input. So anyone with a Yggy and an Eitr, don't stay with SPDIF. It's very inexpensive to convert to AES.

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #87 of 1,112
I now know the difference in sound between SPDIF and AES. The AES seems every so slightly louder because it is clearer. Details stand out more. So at first hearing it appears that it is louder. No, it's just better. The sound is sharper in a good way. So no matter what DDC is used, AES is still the best input. So anyone with a Yggy and an Eitr, don't stay with SPDIF. It's very inexpensive to convert to AES.

The Eitr doesn't have an AES output and neither does the Modi 2 Uber. I'm very happy with the quality of sound from the Shunyata SPDIF cable. I'm done. Also, I have virtually no interest buying a cable with a termination I can't use anywhere else. I can use my Eitr with my Modi 2 Uber in my bedroom system once my Gungnir gets back from it's upgrades.

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #88 of 1,112
The Eitr doesn't have an AES output and neither does the Modi 2 Uber. I'm very happy with the quality of sound from the Shunyata SPDIF cable. I'm done. Also, I have virtually no interest buying a cable with a termination I can't use anywhere else. I can use my Eitr with my Modi 2 Uber in my bedroom system once my Gungnir gets back from it's upgrades.

I think there is a misunderstanding as I recommended an AES conversion for Yggy owners only as it is the only Schiit DAC with that type of an input.

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #90 of 1,112
Just purchased from Schiit. Will be comparing to F1 Singxer fed by battery power and ifi defender ifi isilencer and ifi ispidif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back