Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
Dec 29, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #286 of 578
Lol is that a bad thing?  :)  

Mine's supposed to come in tomorrow.  You're not the first person claiming that you're noticing an 'improve' sound quality from the Wyrd linked with your setup.  It's starting to make me curious.  I only needed it because I have 'hiccuping' issues with my Bifrost, like it would cut off for about 1 second and then come back on.  Sometimes it would just cut off overall.  So I figured the Wyrd would help remedy this problem.  Rare occurence though but would be nice to have. 

It did fix my issues with the sound skipping, crackling, popping, etc. so it should fix those issues. Not sure if the sound quality differences will be as drastic as they are on a usb powered dac though. Makes me curious what other power related components may do to my system.

Dec 29, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #287 of 578
It did fix my issues with the sound skipping, crackling, popping, etc. so it should fix those issues. Not sure if the sound quality differences will be as drastic as they are on a usb powered dac though. Makes me curious what other power related components may do to my system.

That's good to know!  Thanks!  

Sound-wise, I think it's good not to expect much difference, if any at all though not trying to doubt those that claim they do, but I guess personally I'll have to hear it for myself.  

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #288 of 578
  Running the Wyrd now on 9 VDC for some time (230 VAC -> 9 VDC adapter) and no issues encountered. I use the Wyrd mainly to power my DragonFly so it becomes independent from the computer's noisy power-supply. The DragonFly only consumes little power however...

9VDC? But the Wyrd uses an AC adapter. How you do that?

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #289 of 578

Maybe... for me, fixing these issues had a lot more to do with understanding what devices are on each USB controller and then ensuring that my DAC was on a dedicated controller. Computers vary quite a bit, but in my case I am using a headless 2009 Mac Mini as a dedicated music server; that machine has three separate USB controllers and they support internal devices (e.g. bluetooth, IR receiver), as well as an external USB hard drive.

I had periodic pops/crackles/screeches that only came to end when I rearranged the connected USB devices to ensure that the DAC was on a dedicated controller, as well as ensuring that the USB HDD was also on a dedicated controller.

After I did all of that, naturally, UPS got around to delivering the Wyrd I had ordered. I plugged it in, and still use it, but the jury is out for me on whether it's doing anything to improve my system. I am into the whole clean power thing, however, and the engineering seems reasonable (i.e. replacing the computer's 5V USB lead with a regulated, linear supply provided by the Wyrd), so why not?

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #290 of 578

My Schiit Wyrd finally came in. The 'hiccuping' issues has finally been fixed even though it was a rare occurrence.  As for sound quality improvements, I'll get back to that.  

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #291 of 578

My Schiit Wyrd finally came in. The 'hiccuping' issues has finally been fixed even though it was a rare occurrence.  As for sound quality improvements, I'll get back to that.  

Nice looking rig (although the glass does expose more cable mess  
rolleyes.gif
) what's that box on top of what looks like a USB hub?

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #292 of 578

Nice looking rig (although the glass does expose more cable mess  
rolleyes.gif
) what's that box on top of what looks like a USB hub?

Thanks!  Lol please excuse the cable mess!  Haven't got around to fixing it ever since the Wyrd came in.  I was pretty excited with receiving the Wyrd lol.  
gs1000.gif
Anyways, that 'little' box is actually my DTS decoder device that's not really plugged into anything at the moment.  It was normally used to convert the DTS signal from my TV/PS4 into the RCA outs to my old DAC (Aune T1 with Amperex 7308 tube) before I had my Bifrost.  Now it's just kinda sitting there collecting dust.  lol

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #293 of 578

9VDC? But the Wyrd uses an AC adapter. How you do that?

Just use a plug that fits and connect it.

The Wyrd has a bridge rectifier at its power input. Normally there will be a 6 V RMS sine wave feeding the Wyrd. This sine wave has a peak value of approx 9 V. So by applying 9 VDC, only one path of the rectifier will conduct and charge the capacitor behind it to about the same voltage. The only possible issue is the power dissipation in the rectifier. In the original situation there are 60 Hz pulses divided over the 2 rectifier paths but when you apply 9 VDC there is a constant current through only one path. Like I said before, my DragonFly does not need a lot of current. The rectifier seems to be a bit overdimensioned too. Maybe this helps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #294 of 578
  Just use a plug that fits and connect it.

The Wyrd has a bridge rectifier at its power input. Normally there will be a 6 V RMS sine wave feeding the Wyrd. This sine wave has a peak value of approx 9 V. So by applying 9 VDC, only one path of the rectifier will conduct and charge the capacitor behind it to about the same voltage. The only possible issue is the power dissipation in the rectifier. In the original situation there are 60 Hz pulses divided over the 2 rectifier paths but when you apply 9 VDC there is a constant current through only one path. Like I said before, my DragonFly does not need a lot of current. The rectifier seems to be a bit overdimensioned too. Maybe this helps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge.

Wow, that means I can further improve as I have an unused (!) 9V KingRex PS Mk2 !! I'll order this little magic box now (luckily we have Schiit-Europe nowadays!)

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #295 of 578

Good to know, looking into this product because I get skipping and cracking once in a while.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #296 of 578
Will this fix problems for people with possibly ground loop problems?
I have a noise when playing a little higher volumes, and it changes when using the keyboard or mice.
Its kinda annyoing with ambient music...

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #297 of 578
I have a noise when playing a little higher volumes, and it changes when using the keyboard or mice.

I had the exact same issue and that was why I bought the Wyrd in part.
In theory, it should not help much with that but in practice [and my case] it reduced the noise significantly.
Say, before I could hear it clearly most of the time when my PC was doing something, from browsing mail, to HDD work and mouse scrolling. With the Wyrd, I have to strain really hard to hear it so it went from a 'sorta annoying' to 'very faint/hardly hearable'
Not sure why or how it helps nor can I guarantee you it mirror my success but if you can get it around MSRP, I think it would be worth a shot 
smily_headphones1.gif

It is small, non-obtrusive and I also find it to enhance bass response and improve SQ slightly [which I suspect has to do with the much lessened noise loop]

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #298 of 578

Did for me. Mouse issue was very specific. Moving cursor across blank space on desktop caused no issue. Moving cursor over icon created a weird little blurping noise.  WYRD resolved
biggrin.gif

Overall SQ improvement? Not that I noticed but already running PC and audio gear through separate power conditioners as my AC is crap. I can literally watch all the lights in my house dim for minutes at a time.

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #299 of 578
I also didn't notice any SQ improvements, but Wyrd did fix the odd cracks and blurbs my custom built gaming monster added to music.

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #300 of 578
A sticker of US$99 means you can easily find out for yourself.

Or you could just send me a check for $89 and save yourself $10 :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back