Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
Jan 11, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #301 of 578
I am considering getting this just so I can sleep at night :)  .  If I understand correclty, it supplies its own power to the dac (e.g totally ignoring the pc's own usb power)  just like an ac powered hub?

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #302 of 578
I am considering getting this just so I can sleep at night :)  .  If I understand correclty, it supplies its own power to the dac (e.g totally ignoring the pc's own usb power)  just like an ac powered hub?
Yes, and cleans that signal to a DAC.

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #303 of 578
Anyone using the Wyrd with either of the Meridian Explorers? 

I should have the combo by late next week and will post my findings but would like to hear from any current owners. 

Thanks. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #306 of 578
  Hey guys, aren't you afraid that the wyrd will "mess" with the sound?  e.g add coloration?    Should I worry about that?

There are a surprising number of reviews online, including on amazing.co.uk stating the explorer 1 with the iFi USB power is transformed into a 2k DAC. better separation, more defined bass and more darkness in the background, also voices having more presence. I haven't read any negative reviews whatsoever. 

I wouldn't worry, my plan is to use the Explorer 2 for a week, then introduce the Wyrd for a week, then take it away and see how I feel about it. 

In the unlikely event the wyrd for whatever reason makes my system sound worse, i'll sell it on at a small loss. But I cannot see this being the case. In which case i'd take a punt on the iFi USB power. 

I believe the only difference between the Schiit Wyrd and the iFi USB power is that the iFi doesn't re-clock the data. Although I could be wrong. 

I will report how I get on here. 

My system when everything arrives next week - FYI MBA, Audirvana, Explorer2, Wyrd into IE800's.  

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #307 of 578
  Hey guys, aren't you afraid that the wyrd will "mess" with the sound?  e.g add coloration?    Should I worry about that?

Nope.  The Wyrd did not "improve" or change anything in the sound quality in my system.  All it did was prevent the "hiccuping" issues I've had with my laptop source to my DAC where the sound would cut off for one second then come back on.  Also made my amp even quieter, too, so no noise artifacts of any sort.  Just clean smooth sound.

If it were to add coloration, I can imagine Schiit would have a mention about that somewhere in the description.  Though others have claimed that the Wyrd improved the sound, I won't doubt them about that.  I personally didn't hear a change in SQ at all in my system.  Just an overall quieter setup. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #308 of 578
If your DAC is USB BUS powered, you may get an audible improvement, there is good grounds why a better 5v supply would yield better sounds than a noisy 5v USB computer supply. There are however many factors involved, not to mention how revealing your system is. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #311 of 578

Could color the sound in the same way as an 'audiophile' USB cable (pulls pin on grenade and tosses).

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #312 of 578

Could color the sound in the same way as an 'audiophile' USB cable (pulls pin on grenade and tosses).

Lol they actually make those?  
confused_face.gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #313 of 578
The Wyrd might not help/make worse a system if your system is plague by ground loops. Or else it colors about as much as a laptop pc port lol. For poorly designed/ normal design usb implementations not limited to bus powered DACs/devices, the Wyrd might help.

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #314 of 578
I don't notice any noises or glitches in my system,but still prefer that my usb dac gets the best power possible. The Wyrd is similar to usb hub but better with "audiophile" design in mind. regular usb hub doesn't reclock (or is it) and also shared with other devices (if not than it is just a waiste of available ports). Wyrd have better parts inside than a cheapo usb hub, it's more of a dedicated power supply rarther than a hub.

Am I wrong here ??

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #315 of 578
I don't notice any noises or glitches in my system,but still prefer that my usb dac gets the best power possible. The Wyrd is similar to usb hub but better with "audiophile" design in mind. regular usb hub doesn't reclock (or is it) and also shared with other devices (if not than it is just a waiste of available ports). Wyrd have better parts inside.

Am I wrong here ??

Nope. You are correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back