Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
Jan 14, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #331 of 578
  I've used my Wyrd with my Bifrost a few times and I really didn't notice a difference. It may have been a bit more detailed and spacious, but it was so minor I couldn't really say if it was true or not. I find that the improvement to the Modi is pretty drastic, though, especially when using my crappy laptop at work. It brings the Modi a lot closer to the Bifrost, but still lacks the superb clarity, soundstaging, and depth of the Bifrost.

Also, the Wyrd came out way after the Bifrost, so the crazy discoveries that Dave made in the Wyrd were not implemented in the Bifrost.

Interesting... I assumed Bifrost would have the same technology as Wyrd. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #332 of 578
Just got the wyrd, "burning it in".  can't tell for sure if there is a difference in sound comparing to using the Dragonfly straight from the pc, Maybe the sound is sharper and cleaner.
Overall I am very pleased with the wyrd,doing its job devotedly. Now the DF is maximized to its best.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #333 of 578
  Just got the wyrd, "burning it in".  can't tell for sure if there is a difference in sound comparing to using the Dragonfly straight from the pc, Maybe the sound is sharper and cleaner.
Overall I am very pleased with the wyrd,doing its job devotedly. Now the DF is maximized to its best.

I don't think you have to "burn in" the Wyrd.  It's just a USB power isolator.  

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #334 of 578
  I don't think you have to "burn in" the Wyrd.  It's just a USB power isolator.  

Yeah,I know..I was half kidding.  The wyrd is probably burnt in after the first 5 seconds it was on.  (probably other gear too of you're asking me :wink: )
Anyway..after a couple of hours with the wyrd,I can definitely tell that the sound became sharper,cleaner..slightly brighter, and tighter.   my HD800 is brighter even more than before.  As a result of this change I am getting a little less warmth and bass quantity, But my guess is that now the sound is more accurate.  The extra warmth I got before was probably due to less adequate power,"dirt" if you wish.   The sound has more air now.
I also changed the usb cable (between the laptop and the wyrd) to 1 meter Monster Cable so maybe this got something to do with the change..I don't know. But I believe that the wyrd has more effect than a usb cable.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #335 of 578
  Yeah,I know..I was half kidding.  The wyrd is probably burnt in after the first 5 seconds it was on.  (probably other gear too of you're asking me :wink: )
Anyway..after a couple of hours with the wyrd,I can definitely tell that the sound became sharper,cleaner..slightly brighter, and tighter.   my HD800 is brighter even more than before.  As a result of this change I am getting a little less warmth and bass quantity, But my guess is that now the sound is more accurate.  The extra warmth I got before was probably due to less adequate power,"dirt" if you wish.   The sound has more air now.
I also changed the usb cable (between the laptop and the wyrd) to 1 meter Monster Cable so maybe this got something to do with the change..I don't know. But I believe that the wyrd has more effect than a usb cable.

Your findings seem to be pretty consistent with my experience (using ODAC>Lyr>HE500).

I've actually found the bass quantity difference changes from track to track a little. Some tracks seem to have a touch more than they used to, but more often then not, they have a touch less. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #336 of 578
After two days with the wyrd I realize that perhaps I was wrong, the sound is not brighter than before..maybe even warmer.  It probably took some burn in time and synergy with the rest of the system to show the wyrd real character.
Nevertheless it sounds good,no reduction is soung quality for sure.

EDIT: For some strange reason the Dragonfly dac became much warmer sounding..This is the main reason for my confusion in the last two days.  This is not the wyrd's fault as I checked the Dragonfly straight from the pc usb port and the sound is the same.   It is now muddy in comparison to the bright,aggressive and detailed sound I was getting...very very strange 
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #339 of 578
  After two days with the wyrd I realize that perhaps I was wrong, the sound is not brighter than before..maybe even warmer.  It probably took some burn in time and synergy with the rest of the system to show the wyrd real character.
Nevertheless it sounds good,no reduction is soung quality for sure.

EDIT: For some strange reason the Dragonfly dac became much warmer sounding..This is the main reason for my confusion in the last two days.  This is not the wyrd's fault as I checked the Dragonfly straight from the pc usb port and the sound is the same.   It is now muddy in comparison to the bright,aggressive and detailed sound I was getting...very very strange 
confused_face_2.gif

how about the option where nothing changed and you got tricked by some expectations bias the first days(like anybody would)? because the burn in/synergy thing ... we're talking about a piece of electronic, not a morphing virus.

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #340 of 578

how about the option where nothing changed and you got tricked by some expectations bias the first days(like anybody would)? because the burn in/synergy thing ... we're talking about a piece of electronic, not a morphing virus.

It may be 
biggrin.gif
 you are probably right.  Althoug I did come without any expectation al all!  Probably my mind plays tricks on me :)    
Anyway..Listetning right now to the wyrd->Dragonfly->headroom ultra micro->HD800 ...sounds amazing!   I really don't feel any need to upgrade/sidegrade my system right now...But I will! LOL

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #341 of 578

It may be 
biggrin.gif
 you are probably right.  Althoug I did come without any expectation al all!  Probably my mind plays tricks on me :)    
Anyway..Listetning right now to the wyrd->Dragonfly->headroom ultra micro->HD800 ...sounds amazing!   I really don't feel any need to upgrade/sidegrade my system right now...But I will! LOL

ahah. that's another audio sickness. upgradatis is hard to eradicate.
-need something?
-no
-want something?
-hell yeah!

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #343 of 578
  The first time I plugged the wyrd the sound was bright and thin for some reason..can't explain it.  now it is stabilized again.  maybe burn in..maybe not.

It sounds like a clock or warm-up related issue. I'm not kidding. Hard to catch on static measurements sometimes but it can show up as an increase in low level jitter or poor handling of full scale signals. Try letting the unit completely cool off and try it again cold and fully warmed up. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #344 of 578

It may be :D  you are probably right.  Althoug I did come without any expectation al all!  Probably my mind plays tricks on me :)    

I don't think it's your mind playing tricks on you, because your impressions have been pretty much exactly the same as mine all week long. Furthermore, we're both running from USB powered DACs, so I think there is something to it.

My guess is that it's about 80% brain burn-in, but there is a little bit of burn-in going on with the DAC itself, as it adjusts to having 3x more power than before. It doesn't take long to adjust, but it sounds a little bit bright and harsh for the first day or so after you plug it in.

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #345 of 578
I don't think it's your mind playing tricks on you, because your impressions have been pretty much exactly the same as mine all week long. Furthermore, we're both running from USB powered DACs, so I think there is something to it.

My guess is that it's about 80% brain burn-in, but there is a little bit of burn-in going on with the DAC itself, as it adjusts to having 3x more power than before. It doesn't take long to adjust, but it sounds a little bit bright and harsh for the first day or so after you plug it in.

Thanks Hansotek..good to know I am not the only one LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back