Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Apr 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #2,641 of 3,339
I had the Audio-GD NFB-3 and the Schiit Bifrost. I liked the Bifrost better, but having opened them both up, I can tell the Bifrost could be even better with a power supply such as found in the Audio-GD. The Bifrost power supply is just your stock LM 337/317 regulators. While to be expected at this bargain price, it seems Schiit put the money into the quality output stage instead.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #2,642 of 3,339
Two days ago the USB on my Bifrost stopped working. My laptop (running on Windows XP Pro) was not able to detect it anymore. I have tried reinstalling the USB driver. Even though I have already plug in the USB cable but the installer kept on asking me to plug in the device/Bifrost. At first I thought it could be the AudioQuest Forest USB cable. So I tried with another USB cable. Still the same issue. Then I tried with my other two laptops (Vista Business and Windows 7 Pro). Still the same issue. Does anyone face similar issue before?

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #2,643 of 3,339

Quote:
Two days ago the USB on my Bifrost stopped working. My laptop (running on Windows XP Pro) was not able to detect it anymore. I have tried reinstalling the USB driver. Even though I have already plug in the USB cable but the installer kept on asking me to plug in the device/Bifrost. At first I thought it could be the AudioQuest Forest USB cable. So I tried with another USB cable. Still the same issue. Then I tried with my other two laptops (Vista Business and Windows 7 Pro). Still the same issue. Does anyone face similar issue before?

First I've heard of anyone having this issue. Since you've tried it on different computers and different cables it does sound like something's wrong with the Bifrost. If you're comfortable doing so, you may want to open up the Bifrost and see if the USB card might have come loose (due to the modular design).

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #2,644 of 3,339
Irs just a few screws I would definately check it out.  I don't know if the USB card has an LED on it because mines is USB-Free at the moment but alot of USB chips have a diagnostics LED.

Otherwise its the USB card that went bad.  I would also be careful with expensive USB cables~  they make alot of claims and while I don't think an improperly wired usb cable would work(Not an expert, can't claim to understand its inner workings) even low voltages if improperly routed can burn out a chip. If not right away, over time.  Generally with digital components though it happens right away given how sensitive they are.  I single out expensive cables because they are made to be "different" from standard usb cables.

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #2,645 of 3,339
Quote:

Jason replied immediately (good customer service) to my email. He gave me another USB driver to install. However, the USB driver does not fix the issue. I am getting my company system administrator to take a look at this issue (checking the Windows and reinstall the old and new USB drivers). My company administrator also has a Mac which we will use it to test it.

Quote:
First I've heard of anyone having this issue. Since you've tried it on different computers and different cables it does sound like something's wrong with the Bifrost. If you're comfortable doing so, you may want to open up the Bifrost and see if the USB card might have come loose (due to the modular design).

Quote:
Irs just a few screws I would definately check it out.  I don't know if the USB card has an LED on it because mines is USB-Free at the moment but alot of USB chips have a diagnostics LED.

Otherwise its the USB card that went bad.  I would also be careful with expensive USB cables~  they make alot of claims and while I don't think an improperly wired usb cable would work(Not an expert, can't claim to understand its inner workings) even low voltages if improperly routed can burn out a chip. If not right away, over time.  Generally with digital components though it happens right away given how sensitive they are.  I single out expensive cables because they are made to be "different" from standard usb cables.

Thanks for the advice. Opening up Bifrost will be last option. However, I will ask Jason first before I open up Bifrost. I have already single out the usb cable.

Apr 13, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #2,646 of 3,339
I'm very interested in hearing how the Bifrost will compare to the DAC HD cable by Halide Design, seeing as they're in the same price range and ones a little more "simple" than the other.

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #2,647 of 3,339

Quote:
Jason replied immediately (good customer service) to my email. He gave me another USB driver to install. However, the USB driver does not fix the issue. I am getting my company system administrator to take a look at this issue (checking the Windows and reinstall the old and new USB drivers). My company administrator also has a Mac which we will use it to test it.

Thanks for the advice. Opening up Bifrost will be last option. However, I will ask Jason first before I open up Bifrost. I have already single out the usb cable.

Well... my Bifrost is on the way back to Schiit office. Been using the E17 as the DAC since few days back and it felt like downgrading. I mean, still listenable but the some of the listening pleasure is gone.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #2,648 of 3,339
Pls help me to choose alternative to Bifrost at this price range or recomend me to buy Biifrost :) My alternatives HRT Music Streamer II, Arcam rDAC, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valab-WM8741-24bit-192k-USB-DAC-Dual-WM8741-Balanced-XLR-Output-Black-Face-/270936744188?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1516a0fc , something from audiogd

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #2,649 of 3,339
i am looking to upgrade from the audinst dac.

so far i have narrowed it down to:
audio-gd nfb 3.1
schiit bifrost
grant fidelity tubedac-11

all are in the same price range

my headphone amp is matrix m-stage and i will be using the audio-gd DI for a coax interface

im leaning towards the schiit bifrost but the feedback on the nfb 3.1 is making me reconsider.  which would you guys get?

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #2,651 of 3,339
I certainly favor it!

In other news, we're looking for input on SACD and DSD--your chance to win a Bifrost:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/606053/the-schiit-sacd-dsd-research-thread-your-chance-to-win-a-bifrost

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 17, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #2,652 of 3,339
Don't know about NFB-3.1, but i do own NFB-3. Bifrost is better in my opinion. In comparision NFB-3 is just a little too smooth, not as transparent as Bifrost.
Quote:
i am looking to upgrade from the audinst dac.

so far i have narrowed it down to:
audio-gd nfb 3.1
schiit bifrost
grant fidelity tubedac-11

all are in the same price range

my headphone amp is matrix m-stage and i will be using the audio-gd DI for a coax interface

im leaning towards the schiit bifrost but the feedback on the nfb 3.1 is making me reconsider.  which would you guys get?

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #2,653 of 3,339
So, I'm not sure what happened, but now my computer isn't playing back via digital coax.  When I first installed the drivers and got everything setup, it worked fine, as did the USB input.  Now, when I choose the SPDIF input in JRiver Media Jukebox (or iTunes) and on the Bifrost selector, I'm getting nothing.  Dead silence.

Do I need to uninstall/re-install the drivers?  USB works fine, but would like to switch between the two for AB comparisons.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #2,655 of 3,339
The Bifrost is an exceptional piece of audio hardware. As an EE, I really appreciate the performance and quality of the Bifrost. It actually amazes me that Schiit can do this at such a low price point. It took around 200 hours of break-in for the sonics to smooth out in the highs. My only gripe is that the LEDs are too bright. A different resistor value would fix this. I am also impressed with Jason's fast email response and excellent customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back