Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jan 30, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #2,176 of 3,339
Quote:
FYI, I changed the output of System sound to something other than Digital Out and Bifrost no longer clicks except when I am playing music.

Yes I was going to suggest that you set the Sound Effects part of Sound Preferences to internal speakers, that will keep all of the system sounds away from the DAC. But you seem to have figured it out 
smile.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #2,177 of 3,339

Quote:
Did you not make it to the meet we had earlier this month? I had mine setup side by side at the meet though. I used to stack mine at home but now I go side by side just because the cabinet was kinda tight. Supposedly the design is that the case is the heat sink pulling the heat from the inside, therefore the case would be expected to get hot. They do get hot but not burn yourself hot. The tubes maybe but not the case. Another fella at the meet had a nice little rack for them perfect for desk use.

This isnt mine but someone at the Seattle Meet.

EDIT, oops, I forgot, that is actually an Lyr and a Asgard. My memory is coming back. Plenty of free beer that day lol.

I did that have bifrost/Lyr though, here it was :)

I actually was there, and knew I had seen some Shiit gear, but at the time I wasn't yet in the mindframe of knowing what I wanted to get next so I didn't take as much notice as I had wanted to of what setups were there. The pictures help with that, so thanks!

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #2,180 of 3,339
Looking at some of the processing gear Mike's worked on at Theta in the past (at the dawn of digital), I'm really anticipating the next level. Bifrost is such a good product. Price point, features, build quality. It's all there. Last night I tried to go to bed but the music kept me planted in my chair.. 3 hours later I finally managed to hit the sack saying 'enough is enough!'.

Only thing I need now is a transport that will last longer than a few months before breaking. I've had such bad luck with CD players that I've transitioned completely to computer to get away from the frustration. I guess it's partly my fault for buying less expensive units, but my current Shanling has problems and it was $300, not exactly bargain bin cheap. I prefer the sound from CD source because computer still lets through some slight noise that is easily detectable with my sensitive IEMs.

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #2,184 of 3,339
To my surprise I agreed with most of what SE described about the sound. More surprisingly, I only had to re-read some sentences 2-3 times to understand them. There were still some I gave up trying to decode though.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #2,185 of 3,339
I agree. Despite my initial urge to read most of them, many Six Moons articles are too purple to be taken seriously. They could say the same thing with half of the words if they were half-decent writers first and reputable audio critics second. I have a feeling that without the big spread of jargon and nothing useful in particular, they would lack the space to insert so many obtrusive ads. The advertising breaks up the flow of their limited content about as badly as their flowery prose. Glad that they think the Bifrost is an excellent value, though. With this, I completely agree!

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #2,186 of 3,339
So, am I correct (having followed this thread now for a couple of months) that there are no Linux USB drivers for the Bifrost - and no plans for them?  I'm putting together a music machine and would like to dispense with the need for a Windows license.  

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #2,187 of 3,339

Quote:
So, am I correct (having followed this thread now for a couple of months) that there are no Linux USB drivers for the Bifrost - and no plans for them?  I'm putting together a music machine and would like to dispense with the need for a Windows license.  

That's correct, but as long as your distro supports USB Audio 2.0 you don't need any extra drivers.

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #2,189 of 3,339

Quote:
Looking at some of the processing gear Mike's worked on at Theta in the past (at the dawn of digital), I'm really anticipating the next level. Bifrost is such a good product. Price point, features, build quality. It's all there. Last night I tried to go to bed but the music kept me planted in my chair.. 3 hours later I finally managed to hit the sack saying 'enough is enough!'.
Only thing I need now is a transport that will last longer than a few months before breaking. I've had such bad luck with CD players that I've transitioned completely to computer to get away from the frustration. I guess it's partly my fault for buying less expensive units, but my current Shanling has problems and it was $300, not exactly bargain bin cheap. I prefer the sound from CD source because computer still lets through some slight noise that is easily detectable with my sensitive IEMs.

Re looking forward to the next level, yup, me too.  Re staying up too late listening to music, yup, me too.  Hey - OKC!  Lived there 7 years, still have many close friends from that time.

Re noise from computer: A good sound card (not terribly expensive, see e.g. EMI Juli@) with an optical cable, or a good inexpensive USB cable without having to buy a sound card (e.g. Audioquest Forest, about $35 for .6 meter length) might help.

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #2,190 of 3,339

Quote:
Would there be any degradation of sound by having the bifrost being fed from a squeezebox touch via coaxial vs. straight from the pc via usb?

I've heard generally good things about the Touch as a digital source.  Might be more jitter from Touch through coax than using Bifrost's async USB input.  Touch I believe is limited to 24/96, so if you were planning on listening to 24/192 material you'd need the PC for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back