Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jan 30, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #2,161 of 3,339

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone else encountered this?

Yes, me. The very same symptoms you describe also happen when connecting my iMac via USB to my Schiit Bifrost DAC. I purchased a special USB galvanic isolator, which makes the problem even worse: With this galvanic isolator the time until the static screeching returned was much shorter than without this device. Trying another USB port didn’t help.

Switched back to an optical Toslink connection. If I would have known this before I placed my order I could have saved the US$ 100.- for the Bifrost USB option.

Werner.

Thanks for the info Werner. I'm not certain where the static stems from. With other dacs, I never had issue with the particular usb port I was using when the static appeared. I've switched ports and will see if I can replicate the problem.

Btw, I'm still using Snow Leopard and suspect the Lion issue with usb (powered?) dacs may be unrelated.

Have any non mac users encountered this problem?

Tried another usb port and had no issue for about a day. Loaded up iTunes/BitPerfect and the first song degraded to static screeching halfway through. Went back to Fidelia again and no issue for a while until this afternoon. There doesn't seem a set amount of time before the sq degrades and I haven't identified how to replicate the issue. I'll test the optical input next.

edit: Optical is nice! Not as warm as the usb input (which I usually prefer), but it sounds clearer, more extended in the top end. The overall presentation is noticeably more coherent than usb, with a better sense of depth and imaging. Anticipating some glare and edginess depending on track, but have yet to encounter it.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #2,162 of 3,339
I am having a strange issue with Bifrost.
I am running Bifrost using Mac Pro's optical out and whenever I delete, copy, or move files Bifrost makes a clicking noise. This happens every single time I manipulate a file. I am not playing any music (no players running) and it happens even after a fresh reboot.
Can anyone with an optical link confirm this?

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #2,163 of 3,339
Quote:

Yes, I can confirm this. This happens because certain alarm and system event sounds also will be routed via the optical link to the DAC. Don't worry, this will cause no harm or damage.

Werner.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #2,164 of 3,339

Quote:
I am having a strange issue with Bifrost.
I am running Bifrost using Mac Pro's optical out and whenever I delete, copy, or move files Bifrost makes a clicking noise. This happens every single time I manipulate a file. I am not playing any music (no players running) and it happens even after a fresh reboot.

Your laptop is engaging and disengaging the optical connection which causes the clicking sound.

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #2,165 of 3,339

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I can confirm this. This happens because certain alarm and system event sounds also will be routed via the optical link to the DAC. Don't worry, this will cause no harm or damage.

Werner.

Ah, this makes sense.
Thanks!

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #2,166 of 3,339
Does anyone have the bifrost stacked with a shiit amp? I saw some pics in the show us your station thread, but that was more searching for shiit in particular than seemed efficient. I just wanted to know how well they stacked up and if it causes any problems with heat. Anyone have a decent solution for a little shelf that holds their amp + bifrost?

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #2,168 of 3,339
I have them stacked and although they do get quite hot, I was told that's it's fine.
I would put the amp on top of Bifrost though since an amp generates more heat. I am using the rubber feet that came with the units but if you are concerned I've seen people using these: http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-ISO-4SN-Satin-Nickel-Isolation/dp/B0030BQBU4/ref=sr_1_36?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327953305&sr=1-36

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #2,169 of 3,339

Quote:
Quote:

Werner.

FYI, I changed the output of System sound to something other than Digital Out and Bifrost no longer clicks except when I am playing music.

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #2,170 of 3,339

Quote:
Does anyone have the bifrost stacked with a shiit amp? I saw some pics in the show us your station thread, but that was more searching for shiit in particular than seemed efficient. I just wanted to know how well they stacked up and if it causes any problems with heat. Anyone have a decent solution for a little shelf that holds their amp + bifrost?

I would get some isolation cones for that

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #2,171 of 3,339
Quote:

You mean like this?

Nope, no problem with heat at all, but you definitely want the Bifrost below your amp (especially an Asgard).

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #2,172 of 3,339
Does anyone have the bifrost stacked with a shiit amp? […]

Yes. Here’s the Valhalla/Bifrost combination used on my desk:

And here’s the second combination next to a comfortable chair:

On my desk the amplifier and the DAC are separated, on my headphone listening place the amplifier is stacked directly on top of the DAC. According to Schiit’s Jason Stoddard the temperature should cause no harm, as long as the amplifier is placed on top of the DAC.

Werner.

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #2,173 of 3,339
Yes those pictures are perfect for visualizing what I could make my space look like. I figured the stacking wouldn't be an issue, but had read in some review that they get hot, so just wanted to make sure people had good results. Still haven't pulled the trigger on a Shiit combo, but I am leaning that direction whenever I figure out what headphones I want for my home setup.

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #2,175 of 3,339

Quote:
Yes those pictures are perfect for visualizing what I could make my space look like. I figured the stacking wouldn't be an issue, but had read in some review that they get hot, so just wanted to make sure people had good results. Still haven't pulled the trigger on a Shiit combo, but I am leaning that direction whenever I figure out what headphones I want for my home setup.

Did you not make it to the meet we had earlier this month? I had mine setup side by side at the meet though. I used to stack mine at home but now I go side by side just because the cabinet was kinda tight. Supposedly the design is that the case is the heat sink pulling the heat from the inside, therefore the case would be expected to get hot. They do get hot but not burn yourself hot. The tubes maybe but not the case. Another fella at the meet had a nice little rack for them perfect for desk use.

This isnt mine but someone at the Seattle Meet.

EDIT, oops, I forgot, that is actually an Lyr and a Asgard. My memory is coming back. Plenty of free beer that day lol.

I did that have bifrost/Lyr though, here it was :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back